Gransnet forums

News & politics

Insulate Britain

(182 Posts)
MayBeMaw Wed 27-Oct-21 18:01:53

We are not talking about Universal Suffrage, Female Emancipation, Abolition of Slavery - how dare these people stop care workers and health professionals going about their essential business, lorry drivers delivering essential goods and joe public who might like to get back to his home this side of midnight ?????
( I liked the man who “serenaded” them with his bagpipes - only I happen to like the pipes)

M0nica Thu 28-Oct-21 08:41:41

Not water cannon, but why do they just not bring in a fire bowser full of water and hose them down? They all look well fed and insulated, they will be able to cope.

MissAdventure Thu 28-Oct-21 08:56:19

youtu.be/K7lVez98FTw

MissAdventure Thu 28-Oct-21 08:58:22

This pillock is a worthy spokesperson for the cause.
Passionate, isnt he?

Lincslass Thu 28-Oct-21 10:11:13

M0nica

ER and Insulate whatever, are such Johnny-come-latelys, jumping on a band wagon, when it is already been running for years, that I find it difficult to believe that they were ever anything other than professional protestors looking for a cause.

The building regulations have been regularly increasing the levels of insulation required in new build properties for decades. We have just had a single storey extension built and it has been a real education seeing just how much insulation has been packed into it.

I absolutely agree that more can be done, but why has it taken this lot so long to realise this? Long after all the rest of us have realised that insulating our houses is a basic requirement to reduce emissions. This lot have suddenly realised it. Really?

If they were really serious about their cause they would be producing papers showing how their aims can be met in the time scale they propose. They would be working constructively with other climate change groups, campaigning so it works. How home insulation can be financed and so on and so on. They could set up groups who raise money and then insulate the houses of those who cannot afford to. When the Trussell Trust saw people with out food. They set up Food Banks, they didn't go and sit on a motorway.

As it is, they are just a rentamob, everything they do is counter productive for their cause; blocking motorways increases emissions from the vehicles held up, and what has that got to do with insulation? As soon as some other cause becomes fashionable, they will all rush off like lemmings to support rewilding motorways or saving rats or whatever the new cause de jour might be.

Absolutely right. My new build house, 20 years ago, has so much insulation in the loft it’s like looking at clouds. I do what I can to reduce waste, plastic, and recycle religiously. Wonder what rent a mob do. Cause more pollution and waste by the looks of things.

vegansrock Thu 28-Oct-21 11:55:28

Some of you think that recycling a few yoghurt pots is all that needs doing. You are obviously on the side of this interviewer who thinks you can grow concrete and tried to undermine the young protester who has a job as a carpenter.
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2021/10/26/presenter-stops-insulate-britain-interview-after-claiming-you-can-grow-concrete-15488485/amp/

MissAdventure Thu 28-Oct-21 11:58:49

Obviously.

Blondiescot Thu 28-Oct-21 12:03:48

It's more than just 'inconveniencing' people though, isn't it? They've stopped people getting to vital hospital appointments, for instance - and in one example on the news, they refused to let a woman pass who was desperate to get to hospital to see her dying mother one last time.

Rosie51 Thu 28-Oct-21 12:07:21

M0nica When the Trussell Trust saw people with out food. They set up Food Banks, they didn't go and sit on a motorway. agree with this 100%! Of course doing the practical helpful thing of addressing the problem by doing something to alleviate it isn't as attention grabbing or ego boosting as blocking motorways.
vegansrock are you someone who thinks the best way to achieve something is by insulting others? I don't believe one poster on here believes recycling a few yoghurt pots is all that's needed, why do you arrogantly say they do?

Lincslass Thu 28-Oct-21 12:08:46

vegansrock

Some of you think that recycling a few yoghurt pots is all that needs doing. You are obviously on the side of this interviewer who thinks you can grow concrete and tried to undermine the young protester who has a job as a carpenter.
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2021/10/26/presenter-stops-insulate-britain-interview-after-claiming-you-can-grow-concrete-15488485/amp/

Please credit us that do a bit of recycling´ with more commonsense than you think. How patronising and downright superior you sound.

Katek Thu 28-Oct-21 12:23:41

It doesn’t look as if this particular group - or XR - has a chemist in their number as they don’t seem to see the irony of using superglue to stick themselves to various pieces of ironmongery. One of the base ingredients of the glue is a hydrocarbon……..have I misunderstood their stand on this or are hydrocarbons now acceptable as long as they’re used for protest? grin

Iam64 Thu 28-Oct-21 12:26:59

Lincslass

vegansrock

Please credit us that do a bit of recycling´ with more commonsense than you think. How patronising and downright superior you sound.

Precisely

vegansrock Thu 28-Oct-21 12:27:54

But some of you are totally fine with making sweeping generalisations about “rentamob” and how they all need a good wash, haven't a job, are all just lemmings who aren’t really committed to the cause etc when that is simply not the case. There are grandparents , vicars, those who take annual leave to protest and have “proper” jobs amongst these protesters. Those who are so willing to sneer at such protesters could maybe suggest other tactics which would draw attention to their cause or maybe you think they should just shut up? The climate emergency and the degradation of the oceans and environment is of major importance which those who are concerned about the future of the planet are right to be drawing attention to such issues.

Blondiescot Thu 28-Oct-21 12:40:24

vegansrock, I wholeheartedly support the right to peaceful protects (and have been on many a protest myself over the years), but all IB are doing is alienating the general public. If they really want to make a difference, surely they need to get people on their side, not p* them off? If I took it upon myself to go and lie down on the motorway, you can bet it wouldn't be long before the police came along to shift me in no certain terms, so what's the difference?

MissAdventure Thu 28-Oct-21 12:45:16

Erm.. your house is insulated?

Lincslass Thu 28-Oct-21 12:49:48

Here you go people. Perhaps stopping ill people getting to hospital crowd should read it too. Most people on benefits, and in social housing get their homes insulated for free.
www.gov.uk/improve-energy-efficiency

Pammie1 Thu 28-Oct-21 12:56:04

Kali2

Do you think that spraying the faces of demonstrators with ink (and it could have been anything else) is fair, or assault?

If you are an adult with full mental capacity and you still go out and superglue yourself to the road I think you have to take your chances !! I was watching a YouTube post yesterday - a radio presenter doing a phone interview with one of the activists. The presenter asked if he thought it may be more productive for protestors to glue themselves to the road outside parliament, or number 10 and thereby disrupt government, rather than repeatedly targeting long suffering motorists on the same roads. There was a long silence, after which he went back to repeating their demands. No constructive conversation or ideas as to how things could be financed, or the work carried out. Just go out and glue yourself to the road and hope that the government will agree to stumping up the money to insulate every home in the land. Good plan.

Bluebellwould Thu 28-Oct-21 12:56:24

vegansrock, are you one of the protestors by any chance?

lemsip Thu 28-Oct-21 12:57:17

My flat is owned by a Housing Association, it has cavity wall and loft insulation..

Pammie1 Thu 28-Oct-21 13:04:54

Lincslass

Here you go people. Perhaps stopping ill people getting to hospital crowd should read it too. Most people on benefits, and in social housing get their homes insulated for free.
www.gov.uk/improve-energy-efficiency

But it isn’t ‘most people on benefits’ - it’s targeted at people on certain benefits who are vulnerable, not offered across the board to all benefit claimants. And even if it was, it still wouldn’t justify the pointless disruption the protestors are causing. Or did you not see the frantic mother pleading with protestors to let her through to get to the hospital where her son had been taken after a road accident ? Or the cancer surgeon who had to delay surgery for patients who had already waited for treatment because of the pandemic ? All the rhetoric in the world doesn’t make that right.

Sueki44 Thu 28-Oct-21 13:05:21

I agree with Blondiescot, this kind of protest is completely counterproductive and simply alienates people. Why would anyone be swayed by a bunch of antisocial twerps? I am fully insulated and have an air source heat pump, but there must be more effective ways of persuading people to the cause!

Zoejory Thu 28-Oct-21 13:06:50

Why don't they ever go up north?

Pammie1 Thu 28-Oct-21 13:10:41

Zoejory

Why don't they ever go up north?

Because southerners are probably more reserved. ‘Up north, it wouldn’t have been inked that was sprayed !!

TillyTrotter Thu 28-Oct-21 13:12:46

Climate change is a serious matter but I couldn’t resist sharing this.

Pammie1 Thu 28-Oct-21 13:13:48

TillyTrotter

Climate change is a serious matter but I couldn’t resist sharing this.

???

biglouis Thu 28-Oct-21 13:21:25

In Europe they would use water cannot, tear gas or rubber bullets. We faff about with injunctions. We are just too soft on these troublemakers.