Gransnet forums

News & politics

Keeping Royal Secrets

(361 Posts)
Alegrias1 Sun 21-Nov-21 09:57:51

We are often told on here that despite the financial or democratic problems with the system, having a Royal Family provides continuity and something to fall back in in times of crisis, such as pandemics. So what do we think of this quote from the Sunday Herald this morning, regarding whether certain Royal papers should be released. In this case it should be noted that the papers already belong to belong to the tax payer but we’re not allowed to see the content.

Protecting the dignity of the Queen and working members of the royal family by protecting their privacy in truly private matters preserves their ability to discharge their duties in their fundamental and central constitutional role, not least of unifying the nations (as was seen during the depths of the current pandemic). Roger Smethurst, head of knowledge and information at the Cabinet Office.

On other words, if we know what they were really like in private, we’d never be taken in by their idealised images. They need to keep some things secret because they don’t fit with the image they want to portray.

Thoughts?

Alegrias1 Sun 21-Nov-21 11:36:06

lemsip

Alegrias1

is your own life boring?

Are you for real?

Guess I should just stick to comments about, oh, I don't know ....moisturisers?

Alegrias1 Sun 21-Nov-21 11:37:50

Most families have skeletons in the cupboard, I think that’s where they should stay.

Fair comment GG13, but if those skeletons impacted on the way that the country was being run, wouldn't you want to know?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 21-Nov-21 11:38:18

Alegrias1

lemsip

Alegrias1

is your own life boring?

Are you for real?

I purchased a Liz Earle moisturiser on Friday that I am very pleased with (other makes are available) ??

Whitewavemark2 Sun 21-Nov-21 11:39:01

Mountbatten was Viceroy of India, he is part of our history. His diaries are part of our historical records. It isn’t about tittle tattle but about using primary resource.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 21-Nov-21 11:44:13

Alegrias1

^Most families have skeletons in the cupboard, I think that’s where they should stay.^

Fair comment GG13, but if those skeletons impacted on the way that the country was being run, wouldn't you want to know?

It’s a fine line agreed Alegrias1 in all honesty I do not think that the Crown has much impact on how the U.K. is run and I doubt it has any impact at all on my day-to-day life.

They have money from us for their everyday expenses (like a wage and expenses for cutting a ribbon and heading up charities). I suspect that their own private handed down wealth is invested wherever the best returns are and least tax paid. Is that so different to us buying ISA’s, speculative investment in Premium Bonds, or even purchasing items of jewellery which will never be itemised on a will?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 21-Nov-21 11:45:22

Whitewavemark2

Mountbatten was Viceroy of India, he is part of our history. His diaries are part of our historical records. It isn’t about tittle tattle but about using primary resource.

Regarding his India years I agree, but I do not see why any other tittle tattle as you called it should be of interest?

Parsley3 Sun 21-Nov-21 11:46:55

The diaries were sold by the family so they had no concern of the contents being made public. No consideration for the Queen's privacy from them.

Alegrias1 Sun 21-Nov-21 11:48:42

They provide the Head of State who can influence the government and the way the country is run with no input or scrutiny from the people.

That's how they impact on your life.

As for whether the other tittle tattle is of interest, there must be something there that would be important to see as the Cabinet Office et al have decided we can't see it because it would affect how the Queen is perceived.

Boz Sun 21-Nov-21 11:56:21

There is a book I keep meaning to read called "Royal Secrets" which, I believe, is about Royal intervention or protection by the Secret Service in the past.
The case of Antony Blunt is an example. Although a spy, he retained his job near to the throne because he "neutralised" certain embarrassing letters for the Monarchy.

Boz Sun 21-Nov-21 11:59:34

www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Royals-Spying-Crown-Victoria/dp/1786499126/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&keywords=royal+secrets&srpt=ABIS_EBOOKS&qsid=259-5095300-8469842&sres=1786499126%2C0008325561%2C1841656879%2CB09KXCQTCX%2CB08TVWK9DB%2C136765324X%2C1982115068%2C039454403X%2C0752487264%2C0263282619%2CB093N5VMSS%2C1538721376%2C1408340380%2C195002055X%2C3833419938%2CB08BWBZTZ2&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1637495906&sr=1-1

Aveline Sun 21-Nov-21 13:43:31

I read a very thorough biography of Mountbatten. The writer clearly had access to a great deal of source material and to people there at the time. It certainly wasn't all a very rosy picture but seemed to be a fair one. His life are career was presented warts and all. There was reference to an aspect of his life that I suspect the royal family might not want generally known but would be no big deal these days.

Namsnanny Sun 21-Nov-21 14:10:50

GrannyGravy13

Alegrias1

lemsip

Alegrias1

is your own life boring?

Are you for real?

I purchased a Liz Earle moisturiser on Friday that I am very pleased with (other makes are available) ??

I find the topic of moisturisers quite fascinating, as I make my own.
Using coconut oil (solid), shea butter, beezwax, essential oils (sometimes) and jojoba (sometimes).
All organic.

I also add nettle, chamomile, calendula, or any other herbs in season, depending on they type of cream I need.

To be fair any topic can have a back story and could be found interesting by some.
So no need to denigrate.

Alegrias1 Sun 21-Nov-21 14:16:03

o be fair any topic can have a back story and could be found interesting by some.
So no need to denigrate.

Any need to ask posters if their lives are boring?

And I didn't pick moisturisers at random. Throwing stones in glass houses, so to speak?

DillytheGardener Sun 21-Nov-21 14:32:17

Aveline what was the “reference to an aspect of his life that I suspect the royal family might not want generally known ” I’m curious, is it Penny what’s her name?

Grandmagrim Sun 21-Nov-21 14:34:54

Everyone, regardless of who they are, is entitled to privacy. As far as Louis Mountbatten goes if he sold his diaries he was giving tacit approval for them to be studied by anyone with an interest in his ramblings/life. We are not responsible for mistakes our antecedents made, so why should the current royals be.

hollysteers Sun 21-Nov-21 14:38:47

DillytheGardener Aveline is referring to Mountbatten, not Prince Philip and I suspect the references were to his alleged bisexuality, marriage and affairs.

Aveline Sun 21-Nov-21 14:46:02

hollysteers correct!

Lucca Sun 21-Nov-21 14:47:09

lemsip

Alegrias1

is your own life boring?

A. I bet it isn’t
B. That’s rather a rude comment/question. Would you say that to someone in RL ?

M0nica Sun 21-Nov-21 14:51:12

What idealized image?

Would you like to have every minute detail of your life filmed, conmented upon scross itnernational media. Of course they aree ntitled to some privacy and to be allowed to keep some parts of their life private.

People seem to be more concerned about zoo animals having privacy than granting any to the RF.

MaizieD Sun 21-Nov-21 15:36:26

hollysteers

DillytheGardener Aveline is referring to Mountbatten, not Prince Philip and I suspect the references were to his alleged bisexuality, marriage and affairs.

I'm not sure how this information (which has been known for along time) has anything to do with whether or not the RF is 'up to the job'. Or is it just a diversion from the OP?

I am curious to know just what 'secrets' Alegrias thinks are being kept from us. What could possibly make the RF unfit for the job? could they be even worse than our current PM?

Namsnanny Sun 21-Nov-21 15:42:11

Alegrias1

^o be fair any topic can have a back story and could be found interesting by some.^
So no need to denigrate.

Any need to ask posters if their lives are boring?

And I didn't pick moisturisers at random. Throwing stones in glass houses, so to speak?

I wondered about that Alegrias1 smile
But I have a dislike for degrading posters according to their choices. Whatever they may be.
I do think it was a bit argumentative to refer to your life as possibly being boring.
But guessing it
A) was unlikely and
B) You usually cope pretty well (as is evident in this case) with 'excitable' posters and their comments.

Alegrias1 Sun 21-Nov-21 15:46:52

I am curious to know just what 'secrets' Alegrias thinks are being kept from us.

I don’t know MaizieD. They’re secrets. confused

But if you look at the quote from Roger Smethurst, he says that there are things that are private about the RF, that if they were not private, might make it difficult for them to fulfil their constitutional roles. So there is something we don’t know about them, that might make people pause and think that perhaps they are not the right people to be fulfilling the constitutional role that they are currently fulfilling.

But of course we are not allowed to know what that thing is. Its not a grown up way to run a country IMO.

Chestnut Sun 21-Nov-21 15:50:28

Whitewavemark2

Oldwoman70

Why would anyone be interested in what is in the Duke of Edinburgh's Will?

Well that isn’t the point. The law says that everyone’s will is public property EXCEPT the Sovereigns.

They should be upholders if the law as it is all done in the Sovereigns name.

Everyone's will is public property? How so?

Alegrias1 Sun 21-Nov-21 15:50:40

Lucca and Namsnanny, ?

theworriedwell Sun 21-Nov-21 15:51:27

Alegrias1

They provide the Head of State who can influence the government and the way the country is run with no input or scrutiny from the people.

That's how they impact on your life.

As for whether the other tittle tattle is of interest, there must be something there that would be important to see as the Cabinet Office et al have decided we can't see it because it would affect how the Queen is perceived.

Maybe the Cabinet Office think that stirring up a load of interest in an old diary will stop us thinking about things like sleaze in 2021 which I think is much more relevant.