Gransnet forums

News & politics

Keeping Royal Secrets

(361 Posts)
Alegrias1 Sun 21-Nov-21 09:57:51

We are often told on here that despite the financial or democratic problems with the system, having a Royal Family provides continuity and something to fall back in in times of crisis, such as pandemics. So what do we think of this quote from the Sunday Herald this morning, regarding whether certain Royal papers should be released. In this case it should be noted that the papers already belong to belong to the tax payer but we’re not allowed to see the content.

Protecting the dignity of the Queen and working members of the royal family by protecting their privacy in truly private matters preserves their ability to discharge their duties in their fundamental and central constitutional role, not least of unifying the nations (as was seen during the depths of the current pandemic). Roger Smethurst, head of knowledge and information at the Cabinet Office.

On other words, if we know what they were really like in private, we’d never be taken in by their idealised images. They need to keep some things secret because they don’t fit with the image they want to portray.

Thoughts?

Calistemon Fri 03-Dec-21 18:00:20

Germanshepherdsmum

I see the makings for a big fight there! Wee Nicola will expect to be in charge and that won’t suit, will it? The Celts will be begging the English monarchy to step in and help stop the fighting…?

God bless The Prince of Wales!

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 03-Dec-21 18:00:24

Sorry, I should have said ‘makings of’. Correctness at all times in these matters of State.?

Anniebach Fri 03-Dec-21 18:00:33

Scotland’s population 5 million , Wales 3 million , mmmmmm

Calistemon Fri 03-Dec-21 18:02:04

and the Northern Irish to join them

Some might, some will want to join their Southern neighbours.

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Dec-21 18:14:16

Germanshepherdsmum

I see the makings for a big fight there! Wee Nicola will expect to be in charge and that won’t suit, will it? The Celts will be begging the English monarchy to step in and help stop the fighting…?

I think we learnt our lesson last time...when we asked Longshanks who should be in charge. We won't be doing that again!

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Dec-21 18:17:50

Anniebach

Scotland’s population 5 million , Wales 3 million , mmmmmm

And England's population 55 million...I

mmmmm

Anniebach Fri 03-Dec-21 18:23:57

England wouldn’t have a vote

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Dec-21 18:25:37

They do now though, when we actually vote for governments with political power. And everybody thinks that's ok.

varian Fri 03-Dec-21 18:57:11

Not everyone thinks it's OK.

We have a SHAM DEMOCRACY where a government can gain absolute power on the basis of a minority vote.

That is not OK.

Grany Sun 05-Dec-21 11:29:27

Why do the royals keep their wills secret? To stop the public seeing just how rich they are.

If the true scale of their wealth were revealed, taxpayers might question why they pay so much to fund them, says author David McClure

PC accused of 'staggering hypocrisy' as plane flies 125 miles to pick him up
Critics say Prince Charles should have taken an electric vehicle to the Voyager aircraft’s usual home, RAF Brize Norton, in Oxfordshire rather than it being flown to Suffolk

An investigation into the cash for honours scandal that hit the Prince's Foundation has found that Prince Charles' right hand man of 40-years, Michael Fawcett, DID conspire with fixers to offer a Saudi billionaire a knighthood and British citizenship in exchange for donations.

What they've not done is investigate or comment on Prince Charles's involvement in this shabby affair. How does Fawcett acquire honours or meetings with Charles without Charles's knowledge and help?
Chris Ship