Gransnet forums

News & politics

What will the judiciary do?

(116 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Nov-21 06:13:28

The draconian law that Patel is pushing through parliament means that the democratic right to protest is being so severely limited as to make criminal many people who take part.

Will the judiciary go along with this? Or will they see a threat to everything that the British have held sacred for generations? That we have a right to protest and protest noisily - when we March against war or unfair tax or unpopular political decisions?

trisher Mon 29-Nov-21 17:18:48

Germanshepherdsmum

Extinction Rebellion dug up the beautiful lawn at King’s College, Cambridge which gave so many pleasure, especially when the crocuses planted in it came out. The College decided not to take action. I would like to see that sort of ‘protest’ punished.

As far as I can gather it was the lawn at Trinity College they dug up. It has been replanted with crocus bulbs www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/trinity-lawn-relaid-extinction-rebellion-19180122
King's college have planted a wildflower meadow.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 29-Nov-21 17:05:46

I think we already know Maremia.

25Avalon Mon 29-Nov-21 17:00:16

Women’s suffrage was for at least 50% of the population who were not franchised.

Maremia Mon 29-Nov-21 16:06:57

How did women get the right to vote? Did the Suffragettes stay at home knitting, and writing gentle words to politicians asking 'Please, please let us be allowed to vote?' Read your history. Read what they had to do. What they had to endure.

theworriedwell Mon 29-Nov-21 10:25:23

Germanshepherdsmum

They don’t grow back when great lumps of them have been dug out of them Alegrias. The College could have claimed compensation which would have been pretty pointless. Anyway they have now planted a wildflower meadow.

A wildflower meadow will be lovely. We have had them in various places where I live and you can't really beat them plus they are great for insect life.

theworriedwell Mon 29-Nov-21 10:24:03

Amalegra

I believe that it is the right to PEACEFUL protest (ie non violent) which is allowable under the law. Protesters such as Extinction Rebellion who throw paint around and are generally disruptive are very questionable as are the Insulate Britain crew who disrupt working people, emergency vehicles etc by hanging around busy motorways and wasting police time which could be used far more productively for the benefit of citizenry in general. These days protests seem so easily to escalate to violence. Intimidation of law abiding people is nobody’s democratic right and should be properly dealt with. From what I have seen, the police should be reminded of their duties and stop conniving with lawbreakers just to keep up with the latest trends. And the courts should get real with their sentencing and stop letting people off with a slap on the wrist as they do for most crimes these days.

Those police officers will want a future from themselves, their children and grandchildren so they might be very much in support of people fighting for that.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 29-Nov-21 09:46:15

Germanshepherdsmum

Extinction Rebellion dug up the beautiful lawn at King’s College, Cambridge which gave so many pleasure, especially when the crocuses planted in it came out. The College decided not to take action. I would like to see that sort of ‘protest’ punished.

It could have been. Our current laws are perfectly adequate to deal with such damage. The fact that the college decided to take no action is beside the point.

Alegrias1 Mon 29-Nov-21 09:43:47

Lawns don't grow back? Never knew. That's why I don't go on the gardening threads.

Part of the judgement from the courts was that the protesters had to pay compensation.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 29-Nov-21 09:31:24

They don’t grow back when great lumps of them have been dug out of them Alegrias. The College could have claimed compensation which would have been pretty pointless. Anyway they have now planted a wildflower meadow.

Alegrias1 Mon 29-Nov-21 09:24:29

The people who dug up the lawn were prosecuted and fined, which I think counts a punishment?

I'm not sure what "action" you would expect the college to take?

Lawns grow back.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 29-Nov-21 09:17:22

Maudi Mon 29-Nov-21 08:58:45

00:19Amalegra

Agree Amalegra Well said.

Amalegra Mon 29-Nov-21 00:19:48

I believe that it is the right to PEACEFUL protest (ie non violent) which is allowable under the law. Protesters such as Extinction Rebellion who throw paint around and are generally disruptive are very questionable as are the Insulate Britain crew who disrupt working people, emergency vehicles etc by hanging around busy motorways and wasting police time which could be used far more productively for the benefit of citizenry in general. These days protests seem so easily to escalate to violence. Intimidation of law abiding people is nobody’s democratic right and should be properly dealt with. From what I have seen, the police should be reminded of their duties and stop conniving with lawbreakers just to keep up with the latest trends. And the courts should get real with their sentencing and stop letting people off with a slap on the wrist as they do for most crimes these days.

Maremia Sun 28-Nov-21 21:28:25

You weren't kidding! This country is sleepwalk/sliding into dictatorship.

MaizieD Sun 28-Nov-21 20:37:46

Maremia

I didn't know that about the extra amendments MaizieD. Is there not some parliamentary procedure to stop this? Did the Speaker allow it? Must have. Can't be right. In fact, it's an undemocratic disgrace. And Folk on here are thinking it's going to be okay to trust this lot!!!!

I started a thread about it last week, Maremia. It didn't attract much interest...

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1303798-The-policing-bill-currently-going-through-parliament-is-becoming-more-draconian

Okdokey08 Sun 28-Nov-21 19:28:04

Bitterness & Resentment only poisons the person who holds it, not the people they attack. Be what we're renowned for-
Being Scottish - Being Kind. :-)

Maremia Sun 28-Nov-21 18:06:05

I didn't know that about the extra amendments MaizieD. Is there not some parliamentary procedure to stop this? Did the Speaker allow it? Must have. Can't be right. In fact, it's an undemocratic disgrace. And Folk on here are thinking it's going to be okay to trust this lot!!!!

MaizieD Sun 28-Nov-21 17:43:29

vickymeldrew

I don’t understand why the OP thinks ‘the judiciary’ will act any differently on these new laws than on any others. Just because you feel strongly about them doesn’t make them special. The judiciary are there to uphold whatever laws have been democratically voted on and applied.

So, when did you have your democratic vote on the provisions in this bill, vickymeldrew ?

Was it in the tory manifesto?

"We're going to remove as many rights to protest as we possibly can with draconian sentences for offenders"

Is that what you voted for?

Even our MPs didn't get much of a chance to vote on them because Patel added a number of amendments after MPs had voted on it. Let's hope the Lords will throw them out...

MaizieD Sun 28-Nov-21 17:38:49

Yes, happy to move the boundary to Hadrian's Wall, for those who wish to join our freedom.

Could you move it to just north of the Tees, please?

Maremia Sun 28-Nov-21 17:11:09

Thanks theworriedwell, that is a very poignant quote

Maremia Sun 28-Nov-21 17:08:55

It is an appalling Bill. An attack on our democratic right to protest. I do not trust this Government, nor the current Home Secretary. I dread what it will provoke. Just because it is legal does not make it right. During Ann Frank's time, it was 'legal' to round up and execute the Jews.
Yes, happy to move the boundary to Hadrian's Wall, for those who wish to join our freedom.

LovelyLady Sun 28-Nov-21 15:05:18

Politicians can and do change our laws.
I’m sure she will get her way. Our opposition is poor. Sadly our PM is repeatedly proving ineffective, my fear is he’s incapable.
Our PM hasn’t grown up and we’re suffering. Where is the opposition? Do they know their role?

vickymeldrew Sun 28-Nov-21 14:33:11

I don’t understand why the OP thinks ‘the judiciary’ will act any differently on these new laws than on any others. Just because you feel strongly about them doesn’t make them special. The judiciary are there to uphold whatever laws have been democratically voted on and applied.

fushia Sun 28-Nov-21 14:20:18

Your quote, theworriedwell, is spot on! Thank you. I hope people read it again and again. I am amazed at the comments people have expressed about the opposition to this bill. Are some the same people who oppose those who speak out against covid restrictions! Smacks of double standards to me.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 28-Nov-21 13:34:08

Surely the judiciary is bound to uphold any law that Parliament has passed?

If the deem it unconstitutional they can take the matter to the High Courts of the various countries in the UK, but while any court case there is pending they have to uphold the law.