Gransnet forums

News & politics

What will the judiciary do?

(115 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Nov-21 06:13:28

The draconian law that Patel is pushing through parliament means that the democratic right to protest is being so severely limited as to make criminal many people who take part.

Will the judiciary go along with this? Or will they see a threat to everything that the British have held sacred for generations? That we have a right to protest and protest noisily - when we March against war or unfair tax or unpopular political decisions?

MaizieD Fri 26-Nov-21 08:05:48

All the judiciary can do is interpret the law, surely? They cannot refuse to uphold it.

I wonder what the police will do, as they will be the ones who have to arrest people on suspicion of breaking it. Will they develop a collective blind eye, I wonder? Remembering their behaviour during the miner's strike I doubt it.

It will have to be civil disobedience en masse, I think.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Nov-21 08:08:36

I’m not sure maizie they could decide to simply give a warning, or don’t do it again etc.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Nov-21 08:12:15

What I meant to say, (stirring porridge).

That curtailing the right to protest is impinging on the human right to protest, and don’t the judiciary have a legal requirement to uphold that?

Katie59 Fri 26-Nov-21 11:11:48

The right for peaceful protest will remain I’m sure, this is
probably about causing deliberate disruption, Insulate Britain glueing themselves to the road, that sort of thing, Being able to convict someone or a group directly instead of breaking a court order as happens now.

As for the judiciary, I’m sure any penalty will reflect the seriousness of the offence.

MaizieD Fri 26-Nov-21 13:17:25

Katie59

The right for peaceful protest will remain I’m sure, this is
probably about causing deliberate disruption, Insulate Britain glueing themselves to the road, that sort of thing, Being able to convict someone or a group directly instead of breaking a court order as happens now.

As for the judiciary, I’m sure any penalty will reflect the seriousness of the offence.

It's much more than that, Katie59. It gives powers to arrest if protesters are being 'loud', or 'annoying people'.

Pretty sweeping, don't you think?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 26-Nov-21 13:54:17

The judiciary is duty bound to uphold the law. It interprets the law and cannot ignore it.
Having tried to work in an office with loud protests going on outside, and trying to get past protesters deliberately blocking the pavement and road, I would be delighted if they could be arrested for making a lot of noise or being annoying. Those are not what I call peaceful protests.

AGAA4 Fri 26-Nov-21 16:02:35

I think that when protests start becoming loud it can tip over into violence. This then detracts from the protest they are making.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 26-Nov-21 17:17:08

Unfortunately a lot of protests seem to attract the professional ‘rent a crowd’.

paddyann54 Fri 26-Nov-21 19:52:00

We have Independence marches that are loud,people play insruments and sing while walking miles ,In all the years I've been going we have NEVER had an arrest .We had one young man who the police took to hospital after a union flag and flagpole was bounced off his face by a unionist supporter,one of the usual dozen or so . They try but fail to cause trouble .BUT the young man was OK and driven back to the arch by the police .
I think we may be the intended target of Bojo.He hates the Scots and he's terrified he'll be the PM that loses the union .Too late I think,we'll be off before too long and have much support and offer of open ports etc from the EU ,yes,including Spain .

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 26-Nov-21 19:58:29

Yes, the EU will welcome you with open arms despite your deficit, the oil will keep you going for ever, you’ll keep using sterling. Etc etc etc. Get real. But that’s not what this thread is about. Why not start one?

MaizieD Fri 26-Nov-21 22:45:25

AGAA4

I think that when protests start becoming loud it can tip over into violence. This then detracts from the protest they are making.

Who judges what is 'loud'? Or, what is 'annoying', come to that?

paddyann54 Sat 27-Nov-21 00:53:39

"GSM" We dont have a deficit ,we cant borrow .The debt is Westminsters money spent on our behalf....lol on things like London crossrail and London sewers and 9 Billion for HS2 that stops over 200 miles from our border.I do wish people at least attempted to find out facts before spouting the usual rubbish! Scotland is by far the richest country in the "union" why on earth do you think WM is so desperate to hold onto us..WE pay their debts !1

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 27-Nov-21 09:16:15

What a load of tosh paddyann. It’s you who is ‘spouting the usual rubbish’. You need to stop repeating the propaganda and do a little research of your own. Some people want Scotland to remain in the UK for sentimental reasons, certainly not because of any financial contribution. I’m not one of them. I would say be careful what you wish for.

Alegrias1 Sat 27-Nov-21 09:23:59

MaizieD

AGAA4

Who judges what is 'loud'? Or, what is 'annoying', come to that?

Absolutely MaizieD

What's the point of protesting if nobody sees or hears you? They're supposed to be loud and annoying, that's what protests are about. confused.

And people going to football matches can tip over into violence. As we've seen this week, children going to the switch on of Xmas lights can tip over into violence. You can't ban people shouting and singing because it might tip over into violence.

Alegrias1 Sat 27-Nov-21 09:26:20

With no prejudice GSM...

That's third time in the last couple of days you've tried to tell people what they need to be posting and at least twice you've accused people of propaganda.

People disagree with us about things. We all have to live with it.

Katie59 Sat 27-Nov-21 09:27:42

paddyann54

"GSM" We dont have a deficit ,we cant borrow .The debt is Westminsters money spent on our behalf....lol on things like London crossrail and London sewers and 9 Billion for HS2 that stops over 200 miles from our border.I do wish people at least attempted to find out facts before spouting the usual rubbish! Scotland is by far the richest country in the "union" why on earth do you think WM is so desperate to hold onto us..WE pay their debts !1

I wish it was £9bn typo there
Only part of debt is QE , either way we all are living far beyond our means, it’s been a long time since the books balanced.

As for Scotland, I would vote to get rid of it tomorrow.

Alegrias1 Sat 27-Nov-21 09:31:13

Thanks Katie59, we feel the same about you.

(Qualifying statement: Is it any wonder many of us want to get out of here?)

AGAA4 Sat 27-Nov-21 09:42:14

Alegrias many situations can tip over into violence. Protests very often do. I am not against protests and would join some I feel strongly about but know that very often people join protests for the pure malice of causing disruption and violence and people get hurt.
Protests must go on and I don't know what the answer is to stop those who become loud and abusive in these situations.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 27-Nov-21 10:02:38

Really alegrias? You never pick people up on their posts of course. You may recall that I mentioned propaganda in connection with someone who constantly posted links to a particular website. And I can recognise the same old phrases being trotted out by people who have heard and decided to believe them. A bit like plagiarism - you know you’ve heard it all before. Of course people disagree. On the question of Scottish independence (and Welsh which is being dredged up again), if the English were given a vote I too would be in favour so I think we agree on that one?

Alegrias1 Sat 27-Nov-21 10:08:34

It doesn't matter if I do it as well GSM. I do pick people up on their posts if they are factually incorrect or something similar, but not just if I don't like the cut of their jib. (gib?)

I'm afraid that "he did it so I can it as well" isn't a defence in law. grin

Just noticed that it had happened several times in the space of a few days.

And not wishing to make this about the I-word or the B-word - did the people of the EU get a vote on Brexit?

Did someone say specious?

Dickens Sat 27-Nov-21 10:32:07

I think it's a slippery slope. A minefield in fact.

Protests are by nature 'loud', and the mere presence of a group whose ideology you oppose, is 'annoying'.

It's so ambiguous. I see trouble ahead.

AGAA4 Sat 27-Nov-21 10:36:18

I can understand why Scotland want to leave. I have been to Scotland many times and have only found kindness from the friendly Scots I have met apart from the beautiful coastline and countryside so I would selfishly not want to them to leave but wish them luck in their endeavours if they want to go.

MaizieD Sat 27-Nov-21 10:44:34

Katie59

paddyann54

I wish it was £9bn typo there
Only part of debt is QE , either way we all are living far beyond our means, it’s been a long time since the books balanced.

As for Scotland, I would vote to get rid of it tomorrow.

A very large proportion of the 'debt' is QE, some £245 billion IIRR. It is theoretically 'owed' to the Bank of England, but as it is 'created' money and it is the BoE that issues our currency the BoE isn't going to demand it be repaid any time soon. Without that our 'debt' is a far smaller proportion of GDP.

The rest of the 'debt', as I have pointed out several times, is 'investments' in government bonds, Nationals savings and any government investment vehicle. People and institutions invest in these because they know it is a safe place to put their money; the government which issues its own money will not default on what it theoretically 'owes' to its investors.

As I've also asked before, if you have savings in a National Savings account, or Premium Bonds or Treasury Bonds would you actually want the government to suddenly pay it all back to you, unasked? What would you do with it then?(P.S 'you' in this sentence is people in general, not 'you' specifically)

MaizieD Sat 27-Nov-21 10:53:15

paddyann54

paddyann54

Do you have any authoritative articles on this topic that you can point people too? It could be helpful to refer to expert knowledge rather than swop 'opinion', particularly when the anti independence 'opinion' is rather aggressively stated.

As you know, I've always supported your desire for independence. I just wish the Scottish border was a bit further south and took in Co.Durham grin