Gransnet forums

News & politics

What will the judiciary do?

(116 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Nov-21 06:13:28

The draconian law that Patel is pushing through parliament means that the democratic right to protest is being so severely limited as to make criminal many people who take part.

Will the judiciary go along with this? Or will they see a threat to everything that the British have held sacred for generations? That we have a right to protest and protest noisily - when we March against war or unfair tax or unpopular political decisions?

Calistemon Tue 30-Nov-21 15:46:00

Maremia

My point is, you don't elicit change in your favour, by staying at home and saying 'Pretty please'.

Out of interest, how old are you Maremia?

An approximation to the nearest five years would suffice ?

trisher Tue 30-Nov-21 19:04:15

Arguably the unacceptable and violent treatment the suffragettes recieved at the hands of the authorities led to more people supporting them. Perhaps with this legislation the government are shooting themselves in the foot and causes like Extinction Rebellion will go from strength to strength.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 30-Nov-21 22:47:20

I bloody hope not.

MaizieD Wed 01-Dec-21 09:13:14

Just been seeing a post about the attempt to prevent a lifeboat launching.

I trust the hangers and floggers on this thread would be happy to apply the same draconian rules to the anti-immigration protestors...

Alegrias1 Wed 01-Dec-21 10:16:12

That's a very good point MaizieD.

theworriedwell Wed 01-Dec-21 12:58:56

Blocking the RNLI is terrible. I live in a coastal town, we have had fishermen die in the last couple of years, the idea that these idiots would risk people's lives is mind blowing and far more serious than damaging a bloody lawn at a university.

Where's the outrage?

Grandmagrim Wed 01-Dec-21 15:51:26

I believe we are sleepwalking into a quasi-totalitarian state Patel’s anti-protest laws will in the end bring about the silencing of all dissent.
A protest that draws no attention is not a protest. Sometimes the cause is worth annoying the blissfully ignorant.

Maudi Wed 01-Dec-21 17:39:43

What a load of claptrap ?

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Dec-21 18:10:53

My thoughts exactly Maudi. Very succinct.

theworriedwell Wed 01-Dec-21 19:34:54

Still no outrage about these protests then? Interesting, obviously a bit of grass is more important than the lives of those in peril on the sea.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Dec-21 19:46:21

That’s not fair. A comment about XR causing damage made long before interference with RNLI operations occurred. There has been disapproval. What do you want? Are you just trying to whip up trouble? What will satisfy you?

theworriedwell Wed 01-Dec-21 22:55:26

What would satisfy me? Well idiots blocking the RNLI getting arrested would be good.

The people who are so against other protesters expressing the same level of outrage at these anti immigrant protesters would be a good.

Gwyneth Wed 01-Dec-21 23:02:51

I think it was one ‘protester’ who made a comment and was carted off by the Police pretty quickly and rightly so. I don’t think this is in any way comparable to the continuous disruption caused by the ‘Insulate’ protesters who stopped people getting to work including doctors and nurses.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Dec-21 09:03:42

And openly admit to being willing to prevent ambulances carrying very sick or badly injured people getting to hospitals.

theworriedwell Thu 02-Dec-21 11:43:06

My father was royal navy. After the war he was haunted by the men on torpedoed ships who drowned. He was on North Atlantic Convoys, against all the laws of the sea they were not allowed to break convoy, obviously to protect the precious supplies coming from the USA. I remember his stories when I was a little girl of the ships sailing through groups of survivors screaming for help, but they could not stop to pick them up.

I heard those stories late at night when he was drunk, he self medicated with alcohol to deal with the horror. I suppose now he'd be diagnosed with PTSD and get help. In the 1950s you had to man up and get on with it. He died when I was a child, the alcohol got him but he was still a casualty of WWII.

Maybe I have a different view of people who would deliberately block a lifeboat station.