Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tony’s Law

(83 Posts)
Allsorts Wed 01-Dec-21 08:16:52

Watching this lovely little boy Tony last night on the news last night was humbling. How can any human being do what they did, how can anyone do anything like that and to their own baby, they can’t change, you could never live with the guilt if you did. His birth parents should never come out of prison, but with this new law it will mean a life sentence for future cases, Thank God he has a home with his proper Mom and Dad where his is so loved.
People literally get away with murder now there is no deterrent. The victims and perpetrators get younger.

Shelflife Wed 01-Dec-21 08:34:33

I completely agree Allsorts. The sentence for Tony's biological parents should have been life. Think they will be released soon after 5 years in prison!!!!!! It beggers belief than anyone can be so cruel. Sadly this is not an isolated case. The new law is not before time.

Hetty58 Wed 01-Dec-21 08:43:31

Such an inspirational little chap, who never gives up. I'd welcome longer sentences, equivalent to the same injuries inflicted on an adult. The law treats children as 'lesser beings' - why?

Smileless2012 Wed 01-Dec-21 09:02:34

It's still not enough IMO. They should be locked up for life.

Kali2 Wed 01-Dec-21 11:35:34

Agreed

Calistemon Wed 01-Dec-21 11:43:28

I posted about this on another thread about a little boy who did not survive his parents' abuse, so thank you for starting this thread, Allsorts

That evil pair may be out of prison next year. Surely, at the least, ten years should mean ten years, not five?
A whole life sentence is more appropriate for people who can inflict such dreadful injuries on a tiny baby.

Tony and his now parents are inspirational and thanks too to MP Tom Tugendhat for campaigning with them for Tony's Law.

Tony raised over £1 million last year for the hospital where he was treated by walking, having been inspired by Captain Tom.

Calistemon Wed 01-Dec-21 11:44:35

Hetty58

Such an inspirational little chap, who never gives up. I'd welcome longer sentences, equivalent to the same injuries inflicted on an adult. The law treats children as 'lesser beings' - why?

I really don't know Hetty58 especially as they are so defenceless.

MissAdventure Wed 01-Dec-21 11:47:19

Death penalty for child abusers.
I'd volunteer to flick the switch.

25Avalon Wed 01-Dec-21 11:47:29

I used to take my disabled son to swimming for the disabled. The striking thing was how everyone there was so happy despite the most challenging disability. None felt sorry for themselves or bemoaned their fate. They were the most inspirational people I have ever met.
Tony is the same you only have to look at his face. What a brave little chap. His adopted parents must be so proud of him. I am so glad this new law has been passed.

Jabberwok Wed 01-Dec-21 11:49:12

Lets hope that the monsters who tortured six year old Arthur literally to death get the full force of the law. What they did to that helpless little boy almost doesn't bear thinking about, words can't describe the appalling treatment metered out to that child. 'No one loves me' this poor mite cried, just AWFUL! I don't believe in capitol punishment but in this intance I think they both deserve hanging!

Calistemon Wed 01-Dec-21 11:50:13

I'm hesitant, remembering the case of the couple who were accused of child abuse because one child kept getting broken bones, had all their children taken off them but it turned out the child had brittle bone disease undiagnosed by doctors.

GillT57 Wed 01-Dec-21 11:53:16

I agree that the sentence given to Tony's biological parents was not sufficient, but I did note that their pictures were shown and their names given, no protective new identities for them, so hopefully life will be intolerable for them. Tony is a lovely articulate little lad and his parents wonderful people.

Calistemon Wed 01-Dec-21 11:55:04

I'm hesitant

That was in answer to the capital punishment posts
Check out osteogenesis imperfecta

There are cases of miscarriages of justice: I still remember the case of Timothy Evans.

25Avalon Wed 01-Dec-21 11:55:08

Also how can anyone torture and maltreat animals? There are some really subhuman people out there. To hurt animals is awful, to hurt a child even worse. Lock the parents up and throw away the key.

Urmstongran Wed 01-Dec-21 12:05:07

When I read the news about this yesterday I felt so upset. There was a photograph of Tony as a baby in his cot in the hospital wearing blue leg bandages, obviously before his double knee amputation - his toes were visible. To think his biological parents harmed a baba of 41 days of age in this vile manner beggars belief. Poor little sausage.

Drugs, alcohol abuse, mental health issues?

What is the deterrent for these criminal low-life people? Hopefully sentencing is about to become much much stiffer - not before time - since ‘Tony’s Law’ has been passed.

Urmstongran Wed 01-Dec-21 12:05:41

* below-knee

humptydumpty Wed 01-Dec-21 12:12:40

I sincerely hope that if either of these individuals ever expects another child, that child is removed at birth by social services.

3nanny6 Wed 01-Dec-21 12:30:05

What a wonderful little boy Tony is and so courageous. He has found lovely parents that adore him and despite his horrific start in life with the birth parents that abused him he has come out on top, he will have a good future with those lovely people.
I heard that his parents got ten years in prison and they have done half the sentence which is how the law works at the moment so they are soon due for release.
I just hope that little Tony continues going from strength to strength because that is the victory and that is him winning over what they inflicted on him. Pure evil b-----ds.

Smileless2012 Wed 01-Dec-21 19:14:01

I would too MissA.

They should both be sterilised *humptydumpty' whether they want to be or not.

Dinahmo Wed 01-Dec-21 19:25:12

Deterrents don't work because nobody thinks that they will be caught. Think back to the 19th C when people were hanged for sheep stealing, which they usually did because they were starving.

theworriedwell Wed 01-Dec-21 19:31:16

Tony seems a lovely little boy, he was on GMB alot when he was doing his walks. His adoptive parents seem wonderful people, he was very unlucky with his biological parents but so lucky to end up where he has.

merlotgran Wed 01-Dec-21 19:32:10

Dominic Raab went up in my estimation. He didn’t patronise Tony and came across as enjoying every moment spent with him.

How proud Tony’s adoptive parents must be of their courageous little boy.

Kim19 Wed 01-Dec-21 22:26:04

He really is the most delightful wee chap. Inspirational and humbling to the hilt. I first encountered him over his fundraising effort somewhere around the same time as Captain Tom. Further inspiration comes from his wonderful parents who manage to treat him with such normality rather than any show of compassion which their hearts must be full of. I salute them all. Very deeply moving situation and I'm delighted with this new law.

Franbern Thu 02-Dec-21 09:05:55

I am disturbed at people's reaction of 'Let's us murder such dreadful people' and even one poster who actually boasted how they would be happy to do that killing!!! It is this sort of brain washing, which enables people to think they are doing a service to their community by placing bombs to kill people who do not worship the same god.

In my mind, that makes them as bad as the criminals.

Obviously, a tougher law for such people needed to be brought in, but I do hope that it will also involve proper therapy so that they can learn to realise how horrific their behaviour has been. Whether or not a life-time incarceration is the answer, or a very stringent licence system.

I know of another child who was horrifically beaten and seriously damaged by their biological parents, and now has a wonderful adoptive parents, along with an older sister and brother. I do worry about the future for these children, no matter how much and well they are loved and cherished by their adoptive parents, think they may need much support as they grow into their teenage and young adult years and may start to question WHY their biological parents treated them as they did.

Anniebach Thu 02-Dec-21 09:10:46

We must never bring back the death penalty