Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tony’s Law

(84 Posts)
Allsorts Wed 01-Dec-21 08:16:52

Watching this lovely little boy Tony last night on the news last night was humbling. How can any human being do what they did, how can anyone do anything like that and to their own baby, they can’t change, you could never live with the guilt if you did. His birth parents should never come out of prison, but with this new law it will mean a life sentence for future cases, Thank God he has a home with his proper Mom and Dad where his is so loved.
People literally get away with murder now there is no deterrent. The victims and perpetrators get younger.

Anniebach Sat 04-Dec-21 17:55:37

I meant being in prison with all knowing what she had done she too may then agree with the death penalty

rafichagran Sat 04-Dec-21 17:31:06

MissAdventure

I've no interest in what that thing agrees or disagrees with.

Neither have I.

MissAdventure Fri 03-Dec-21 18:03:37

I've no interest in what that thing agrees or disagrees with.

Anniebach Fri 03-Dec-21 18:02:03

Sorry, I meant his step mother

theworriedwell Fri 03-Dec-21 17:58:20

Anniebach

Little Arthur’s mother may agree with you when serving her prison sentence.

Yes she killed another mother's son.

MissAdventure Fri 03-Dec-21 00:25:41

I can't remember which drug it is (crystal meth?) but people in the grip of an addiction to it have committed some truly, truly horrific murders, one on a packed greyhound bus.
So, no question that he killed, but whilst in the grip of drug induced psychosis.
He ate somebody's face.
Not guilty?

MissAdventure Fri 03-Dec-21 00:13:52

Not necessarily.
They may be guilty of killing because they are having temporary issues.
They may genuinely not understand what they've done.
They may be in fear for their own life.
They may have been coerced to the extent that they no longer understand right from wrong.
They may have alcohol, addiction to drugs, or any number of problems.
They still shouldn't be found not guilty.

Zoejory Thu 02-Dec-21 23:47:29

MissAdventure

As I have repeatedly said, if there is any doubt whatsoever then the death penalty should never be implicated.
I have no doubt that sometimes the justice system gets things very wrong, in that case absolutely no room for mistakes or errors or even set ups, but only when it is proven.
Some killers ask for the death sentence, because they know they will reoffend.

As I have repeatedly said, if there is any doubt whatsoever then the death penalty should never be implicated.

If there is any doubt whatsoever the accused should be found Not Guilty!

Galaxy Thu 02-Dec-21 22:23:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tickingbird Thu 02-Dec-21 20:06:33

Would that be me you are talking about tickingbird. If you are going to bring things over from other threads at least have the courage of your convictions.

Give over Galaxy. Stop trying to make a serious discussion about you. FWIW I never gave you a thought.

MissAdventure Thu 02-Dec-21 20:02:14

I've just looked at the thread about that poor little tormented soul, Arthur.
The stepmother took a picture of him as he was dying.
Perhaps she was set up? Framed?
Perhaps someone made her do it?
No.
Proven.
Death penalty.
Some "people" are beyond redemption.

MissAdventure Thu 02-Dec-21 19:49:45

Yes, there is that angle, too, although of course, living in poverty is no excuse, when it suits, on gransnet.

I'm not talking about screaming "off with their heads!" at every turn, there are multiple factors to take into account.

JaneJudge Thu 02-Dec-21 19:47:02

we need to provide an environment where every child can REACH their full potential
obviously I want them to be able to READ too!

JaneJudge Thu 02-Dec-21 19:45:42

I am going to be very simplistic here but if local authorities and social services had enough money invested they'd have enough money for early intervention, thresholds would be set much lower, people would get proper support and hopefully babies like Tony would have gone to his foster and then adoptive parents before this happened. Luckily his adoptive parents were/are lovely. But it all needs investment. People need lots of investment too. I often have to remind myself that 2 generations ago my family were that deprived and poor they couldn't read.Not everyone is bad. We need to provide an environment where every child can read their full potential, our country have let a lot of people down.

MissAdventure Thu 02-Dec-21 19:43:25

Yea, I know that, Hetty, and there again is a case not to implement the death penalty.
People, and cases, are not black and white, are they?

Hetty58 Thu 02-Dec-21 19:37:38

MissAdventure, there are still mistakes made - and innocent people are set up by others. I do understand your desire for revenge, but people can be evil when they're very mentally ill - or controlled by, and scared of another.

Galaxy Thu 02-Dec-21 19:32:15

Would that be me you are talking about tickingbird. If you are going to bring things over from other threads at least have the courage of your convictions.

tickingbird Thu 02-Dec-21 19:26:41

“Ask”

tickingbird Thu 02-Dec-21 19:26:17

Believe it or not I don’t agree with the death penalty. However, my suggestion of child abusers being sterilised was called abhorrent by certain posters. As them if they want to go to prison for a long spell or be sterilised - I know which they’d prefer.

It saves anymore children going through hell and saves the state the expense of keeping them fed and watered for years on end.

GillT57 Thu 02-Dec-21 19:16:53

Arthur's biological mother is in prison for another offence. His stepmother murdered him.

MissAdventure Thu 02-Dec-21 19:09:20

Agree with me?
That she should be put to death?
I don't know anything about the case.

Anniebach Thu 02-Dec-21 18:53:51

Anniebach Thu 02-Dec-21 18:53:51

MissAdventure Thu 02-Dec-21 18:27:14

I think government polls have shown that up until fairly recently (not 40 years ago, at least) a good number of the population, in theory, would support the death penalty.
Again, it is never a black or white issue, I know.
It's all repugnant to even consider - a bit like abortion.

rafichagran Thu 02-Dec-21 18:20:40

MissAdventure You are a minority here but I think the wider population agrees with you.
I am in two minds, on the one hand,I think it is a deterrent for some, but on the other, I see the injustice of death row in some American states.
I think those vile parents of Arthur should be executed, but that is thinking with my heart for what Arthur suffered. I just do not know the answer.