Gransnet forums

News & politics

News that could become political ?. Tornados in the USA and our inability to afford to keep the sea back in the south of England

(76 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-Dec-21 14:35:16

6 states in the USA have recently experienced unprecedented heat for December resulting in 30 tornados barrelling across the southern states.

To date 100 people have died. This as far as records show never happened before..

Yesterday I was talking to someone who has a lot of knowledge relating to flood control in the south of England and learned that within 20 years it is expected that large tracks of coast including many houses will be lost to the sea as the government will not pay for coastal defence.

We are seeing in real time the results of our profligacy regarding the climate.

I think it is all too late and we are seeing the extinction of our life unfold.

volver Tue 28-Jun-22 17:20:52

oops, cross post

MaizieD Tue 28-Jun-22 17:30:53

Oh, b*gger me.

She technically owns Australia!!! And every country that she's queen of...

This is barrel scraping of an off the planet order of magnitude...

Zonne Tue 28-Jun-22 18:02:21

She is one of the largest private landowners in the UK, and she has used her power (which people keep saying she doesn’t have) to exempt swathes of her land from environmental improvement laws

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/28/queen-secretly-lobbied-scottish-ministers-climate-law-exemption?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Katie59 Tue 28-Jun-22 19:54:18

Whitewavemark2

Hydrogen fuel is also being actively developed. That will hopefully replace our gas for heating.

All we need is a way of producing “green” hydrogen without fossil fuels.
Think next century.

Blossoming Tue 28-Jun-22 20:11:30

MaizieD

^Queen Elizabeth is well known as one of the largest landowners in the world.^

You know, I really, really doubt that..

If you read the National Geographic article in Grany’s link it confirms that fact.

Blossoming Tue 28-Jun-22 20:12:49

MaizieD

Oh, b*gger me.

No she doesn’t, what a silly statement.

Katie59 Tue 28-Jun-22 20:27:45

MaizieD

Oh, b*gger me.

I thought the Chinese owned Australia these days. LOL

The Crown estate owns the seabed around the UK and a lot of other property too, it has declared £300+m surplus in recent years. Most goes to the state, the Queen gets a grant out of that

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Jun-22 20:32:23

I thought the Chinese owned Australia these days. LOL

Sorry, but I don't find that amusing.

StarDreamer Tue 28-Jun-22 20:33:27

Whitewavemark2

I see us as a pariah species, buggering everything up for other species, whose right to the earth bounty is equal to ours.

The Atlantic flow is at near shutdown, and god knows what will happen to our climate then. I don’t think anyone knows.

I was in the habit of watching German volksmusik on television when we could get German channels in the UK using the Astra system in the 1990s.

Before the programme was the news, then the weather forecast.

The temperature numbers on the weather map in winter were much lower than is typical in this country in winter.

StarDreamer Tue 28-Jun-22 20:58:27

MerylStreep

These plans are still on the drawing board.

www.tellerreport.com/news/2020-07-27-a-dam-on-the-strait-of-gibraltar----can-this-crazy-project-see-the-light-.rJ8CcDd3xw.htmlYou

In the 1960s or thereabouts the idea of a Channel Tunnel was widely regarded as a totally unrealstic, laugh-at, possibility.

StarDreamer Tue 28-Jun-22 21:16:31

Whitewavemark2

Yes all that but I am also wondering what is going to happen when the climate refugees begin to knock on our door.

What makes you think that they will stop to knock?

StarDreamer Tue 28-Jun-22 21:30:17

Whitewavemark2

6 states in the USA have recently experienced unprecedented heat for December resulting in 30 tornados barrelling across the southern states.

To date 100 people have died. This as far as records show never happened before..

Yesterday I was talking to someone who has a lot of knowledge relating to flood control in the south of England and learned that within 20 years it is expected that large tracks of coast including many houses will be lost to the sea as the government will not pay for coastal defence.

So is the market value of those houses that are freehold now as if instead of being freehold they are now basically as if they are leasehold with a remaing lease of about wenty years?

Grany Tue 28-Jun-22 21:30:59

Zonne

She is one of the largest private landowners in the UK, and she has used her power (which people keep saying she doesn’t have) to exempt swathes of her land from environmental improvement laws

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/28/queen-secretly-lobbied-scottish-ministers-climate-law-exemption?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I've just signed "Scrap the royals' power to change our laws!" - Will you support the campaign too? actionstorm.org/petitions/royalpowers?ref=472654…
@RepublicStaff

@action_storm

Katie59 Wed 29-Jun-22 09:37:37

Callistemon21

^I thought the Chinese owned Australia these days. LOL^

Sorry, but I don't find that amusing.

Anyone in Australia does not find it amusing either but they are dependant on Chinese money for their lifestyle.

So do many other countries, the UK does not - yet.

Katie59 Wed 29-Jun-22 09:51:19

The Queen isn’t exactly a pauper her private wealth is estimated at £500m, the rest is owned by the Crown Estate is estimated at £12 billion

To put that in perspective Britain’s richest man is James Dyson who is worth £16 billion

MaizieD Wed 29-Jun-22 10:25:07

Blossoming

MaizieD

Oh, b*gger me.

No she doesn’t, what a silly statement.

Not sure which statement you're dissing here.

I quoted from one of the articles posted to 'prove' that the Queen is one of the biggest land owners in the world. By posters I'd normally have great respect for. hmm

Callistemon21 Wed 29-Jun-22 10:52:46

What a pity Whitewave's interesting thread has got derailed by arguments about who owns what land and trying to divert blame for the climate crisis away from the real reasons.

It's more than worrying.

Can we stop it? Not at the rate we reproduce for a start. Not at the rate we gobble up the Earth's resources and pollute the seas.

Grany Wed 29-Jun-22 11:47:05

This from National Geographic about the environment is not derailing the thread is bang up to date

Yet lately efforts to restore coastal waters have encountered obstacles unique to this monarchy—ones that have chased a kelp farmer to a more welcoming reception in southeast Asia, for example, and that threaten to derail the largest effort to replant seagrass ever undertaken in Britain.

Grany Thu 30-Jun-22 10:51:02

Stephen Fry supports extinction rebellion Something has to be done

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws1HTvWCjCM&t=339s

Alie2Oxon Thu 30-Jun-22 15:29:54

From previous post (sorry I don't know how to put it in a box)
"I think it is all too late and we are seeing the extinction of our life unfold. Can we stop it? Not at the rate we reproduce for a start. Not at the rate we gobble up the Earth's resources and pollute the seas."

Here's a scary site:
www.worldometers.info/world-population/

- and it doesn't matter how many refugees move from one place to another, the total is still the same.....

StarDreamer Thu 30-Jun-22 20:43:55

> From previous post (sorry I don't know how to put it in a box)

You click on the word Quote that is in the header row of the post to which you wish to refer.

KatieKnitsSocks Fri 01-Jul-22 00:25:55

Putting a stop to producing soy/soya would be a start.

Greenpeace campaigned very hard to stop Cargill's wanton destruction of the Brazilian rainforest. They instigated the soy moratorium but it is only a moratorium. As pressure to feed more animals to feed more people grows the moratorium could fracture. Greenpeace still has to monitor constantly the rainforest by satellite to stop illegal destruction.

Soy/soya is very bad for health. It is arresting and damaging the development of our children. That's another discussion but soy is a toxic product, no question. Production is destroying the planet and damaging the lives of our children. I wish people would realise this and boycott all products which contain it just like they did with palm oil.

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 07:35:37

KatieKnitsSocks

Putting a stop to producing soy/soya would be a start.

Greenpeace campaigned very hard to stop Cargill's wanton destruction of the Brazilian rainforest. They instigated the soy moratorium but it is only a moratorium. As pressure to feed more animals to feed more people grows the moratorium could fracture. Greenpeace still has to monitor constantly the rainforest by satellite to stop illegal destruction.

Soy/soya is very bad for health. It is arresting and damaging the development of our children. That's another discussion but soy is a toxic product, no question. Production is destroying the planet and damaging the lives of our children. I wish people would realise this and boycott all products which contain it just like they did with palm oil.

No, it is not another discussion. You have made those claims about soya in this discussion, what evidence is there for your claims please?

I am not claiming to be an expert on the soya issue, I am simply writing to participate in this discussion.

I consume a lot of soya, soya is most of my intake of protein (most of the rest from rice, some from fruits and vegetables).

I am genuinely interested to know the basis for your claims about soya so that I may make a considered assessment based on the evidence.

Apparently there are two aspects to soya. There is the not genetically modified crop grown in Europe and in Canada that is used in quality vegan products such as Alpro soya drink and other Alpro products as food for humans - and there is the soya produced in other places as feed for exploited animals whose lives are later taken from them and some people eat their bodies.

KatieKnitsSocks Fri 01-Jul-22 08:28:17

The biggest producer of soy is Cargill. They have destroyed huge swathes of Amazon rainforest to build vast industrial plans to export soy to Europe. 90% of what is imported is used for animal feed to fatten livestock. The other 10% is used for food and biofuel. There are many sources which describe the catastrophic damage soy production is causing to the environment; animal species whose habitats have been destroyed, indigenous people who have been displaced and whose lives and livelihoods have been destroyed. Greenpeace have been the main driver in limiting destruction by negotiating the soy moratorium with Cargill. Information on that is readily available. There are many, many other environmental organisations who and data sources which explain how damaging soy production is.

Smallfootprintfamily’s Why Soy is Bad for You and the Planet is one of the clearest and most comprehensive articles to read about the very serious health issues particularly how soy is damaging children’s bodies:

On children’s development they write:

In the years since soy formula has been in the marketplace, parents and pediatricians have reported growing numbers of boys whose physical maturation is either delayed or does not occur at all.

Breasts, underdeveloped gonads, undescended testicles (cryptorchidism), and steroid insufficiencies are increasingly common. Sperm counts are also falling. Because of the estrogens in soy, men and boys, in particular, should eat little to no soy.

Soy formula is bad news for girls as well. With increased estrogens in the environment and the diet, an alarming number of girls are entering puberty much earlier than normal. One percent of girls now show signs of puberty, such as breast development or pubic hair, before the age of three.

By the age of eight, 14.7 percent of Caucasian girls and 48.3 percent of African American girls had one or both of these characteristics. The fact that blacks experience earlier puberty than whites is not a racial difference but a recent phenomenon.

Most experts blame this epidemic of “precocious puberty” on environmental estrogens from plastics, pesticides, commercial meats, etc., but some pediatric endocrinologists believe that soy is a significant contributor. Of all the estrogens found in the environment, soy is the likeliest explanation of why African American girls are reaching puberty so early.

They have much to say on heart health too and how the powerful soy industry has sought and succeeded in demonising other sources of fat in our diets so that they can can sell more or their own product.

Soy damages the planet and damages human health wherever it comes from.

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 08:39:45

Thank you for replying, KatieKnitsSocks.