Gransnet forums

News & politics

Today in the news ?? Judy Murray wins. Probably.

(27 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 22-Dec-21 10:21:35

Judy Murray has won a battle to build a tennis and golf centre in her son Sir Andy’s home town after the controversial plans were approved by the Scottish government.

The initiative will see a museum built in honour of Sir Andy Murray, the double Wimbledon winner and Olympic gold medallist, on green belt land between Dunblane and Bridge of Allan, as well as a number of facilities and sporting grounds.

The Park of Keir development – a partnership between Ms Murray, Colin Montgomerie and the King Group – will include 19 luxury homes, an 18-hole golf course and a four-star, 150-bedroom hotel.”

You’d think good for jobs - construction, hospitality etc.?

Yet -

“But Mark Ruskell, a Scottish Green MSP, tweeted: “Gutted. This decision will destroy an historic landscape that has existed at Park of Keir for centuries. This development [was] always about building exclusive rural mansions [rather] than a real tennis legacy.”

Dunblane Community Council said it was “very disappointed to learn today that Scottish Ministers have granted planning permission to the Park of Keir development”, adding that the decision “makes a mockery of the planning process”.

Is this a difficult call?

Blossoming Wed 22-Dec-21 10:47:59

Well they let Trump destroy the beautiful coastline near the Ythan estuary.

Urmstongran Wed 22-Dec-21 10:52:38

True. Maybe locals just get overridden?

Aveline Wed 22-Dec-21 10:55:47

Yes. They do. ?

PamelaJ1 Wed 22-Dec-21 11:00:57

Don’t locals get overridden everywhere? I have no knowledge of this application so can’t comment on it.
It’s a shame that Judy is getting the flack as she is one of my favourite people in the tennis world. She certainly has done more for women’s tennis than our new sportsperson of the year. I do think Emma is also a credit to the sport though.

Urmstongran Wed 22-Dec-21 11:01:45

Well Judy will be smiling this morning. Hmm. It wasn’t straightforward. She had to go to Court (not a tennis one) over it.

trisher Wed 22-Dec-21 11:01:53

Sounds to me like Andy Murray's name and success is being used to enable development by financiers on what should be protected land. I don't know how Scottish planning works, can anyone appeal against this and go to a minister in Westminster?

trisher Wed 22-Dec-21 11:03:46

PamelaJ1

Don’t locals get overridden everywhere? I have no knowledge of this application so can’t comment on it.
It’s a shame that Judy is getting the flack as she is one of my favourite people in the tennis world. She certainly has done more for women’s tennis than our new sportsperson of the year. I do think Emma is also a credit to the sport though.

Really and what would you expect a 19 year old to have done? I mean she was pretty busy playing tennis.

Luckygirl3 Wed 22-Dec-21 11:04:08

The initiative will see a museum built in honour of Sir Andy Murray - good grief! Just sounds like an excuse to make a load of dosh to me.

Lincslass Wed 22-Dec-21 11:06:27

It’s a shame as it looks beautiful. The people haven’t one to look to when National Government overrules localcouncils in favour of big business and developers,who let’s face are only in it for the money. Because I hazard a guess that ordinary people won’t be able to afford one of these mansions. Will they be sympathic in their building plans, wouldn’t think so.

FarNorth Wed 22-Dec-21 11:08:39

I hadn't heard of this but it sounds awful.
I don't think Westminster has any say.

MayBeMaw Wed 22-Dec-21 11:13:28

Friends in the area (Bridge of Allan) have been fighting this for years. Sad if they have lost.
I wonder who stands to make shedloads of money from this-as if they haven’t got enough already?

Calistemon Wed 22-Dec-21 11:24:15

The 'museum' sounds like a cover for development which would not otherwise be allowed.

paddyann54 Wed 22-Dec-21 11:42:16

This is the work of the Scottish office at St ANDREWS HOUSE, led by Alistair Jack ,Tory ,unwanted "Scottish" secretary put in place by Bojo.Jack job is to undermine the Parliament elected BY the people of Scotland .He has done the same thing to the Culloden Battlefield .overridden the people and allowed developement of "Exclusive,Executive" homes encroaching on the battlefield itself .
We have no power to stop this much hated man who thinks he's in charge of a Territory for a long gone empire .His Cohort Ms Evans was the woman who interviewed several hundred of women to attempt to find muck on Alex Salmond

.This is not acceptable to us and undermines what little power we have .I cant see WM letting civil servants build in the gardens of Buck house or trawl for the dirt on their staff ...mind you no trawling needed there its all done in the light of day .Makes my blood boil that they treat us like a colony .We are a proud ancient nation !

PamelaJ1 Wed 22-Dec-21 12:45:54

trisha
Actually I wouldn’t have expected her to do much, it’s great that she won a grand slam. I did say she was a credit to the sport.

Aveline Wed 22-Dec-21 13:02:31

Lesley Evans was a Scottish Govt civil service employee and principal advisor to Nicola Sturgeon. Alistair Jack doesn't work at St Andrews House.
Pushing this development through is purely at the hands of the Scottish government. Yet another selfie opportunity for Nicola.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 22-Dec-21 13:56:10

I’m with others who think that without Andy Murray’s name it wouldn’t have been allowed. Always a shame to see beautiful landscapes built on, and in this case not for anything that would benefit the vast majority.

Sarnia Wed 22-Dec-21 14:08:16

I am always on the side of keeping our countryside intact for people and wildlife. I am not familiar with the area but are there any brownfill sites which could have been developed? It seems a crime to destroy an historic site.

Calistemon Wed 22-Dec-21 14:24:19

Aveline

Lesley Evans was a Scottish Govt civil service employee and principal advisor to Nicola Sturgeon. Alistair Jack doesn't work at St Andrews House.
Pushing this development through is purely at the hands of the Scottish government. Yet another selfie opportunity for Nicola.

I thought, too, that Planning was fully devolved.

Calistemon Wed 22-Dec-21 14:32:08

He has done the same thing to the Culloden Battlefield .overridden the people and allowed developement of "Exclusive,Executive" homes encroaching on the battlefield itself

I thought this was about proposals which were put forward for the renovation of one house, which was already there but dilapidated?

Firstly approved by the Scottish Government then overturned after a fight by the Trustees and NTS?

Or have I got my facts wrong?

If planning is wholly devolved in Wales and Scotland I cannot see how Alister Jack would be involved.

GillT57 Wed 22-Dec-21 14:57:51

Calistemon

The 'museum' sounds like a cover for development which would not otherwise be allowed.

I agree.

Yammy Wed 22-Dec-21 15:18:07

What a shame another well-known family getting planning permission to build on historic land. Who will have heard of Andy Murray and his mother in a hundred years time and who will be living in the houses?

Calistemon Wed 22-Dec-21 15:41:47

Yammy

What a shame another well-known family getting planning permission to build on historic land. Who will have heard of Andy Murray and his mother in a hundred years time and who will be living in the houses?

Well, I've heard of Fred Perry but then his brand is everywhere!
But I don't know who his Mum was.

Calistemon Wed 22-Dec-21 15:43:24

I do agree that the planning permission should not have been allowed on a historic site, though, Yammy

Calistemon Wed 22-Dec-21 15:49:01

paddyann54 Wed 22-Dec-21 11:42:16

Might it be a good idea to check your facts before sounding off?