Gransnet forums

News & politics

I’m constantly refreshing the News sites

(110 Posts)
Esspee Thu 13-Jan-22 13:00:39

I am supposed to be doing my income tax, deadline looming ?, but every chance I get I’m refreshing the News pages in the hope of seeing Boris’s resignation announcement.

What do you think the chances are?

Dinahmo Thu 13-Jan-22 13:10:50

Good luck with your tax return. The deadline's been extended to the end of February so you don't have to work quite so hard.

To answer your question - no chance. Given some of the support on here for him that's not surprising.

Summerlove Thu 13-Jan-22 13:15:14

Slim to none
I’m sure he thinks his “apology” yesterday was enough.

I’m sure for some, it was

Marydoll Thu 13-Jan-22 13:15:39

I wouldn't worry, Espee. You will have finished your tax return and Boris still won't have resigned.

I'm a big believer in putting things off, In fact, I even put off procrastinating.

Esspee Thu 13-Jan-22 13:17:16

Thanks Dinahmo. Someone told me that but up to yesterday those nice people at HMRC sent me an email reminding me it is due at the end of the month so I am not taking a chance.
Anyway I am off to spend February in the sun Inshallah so no excuses - it has to be done.

Zoejory Thu 13-Jan-22 13:18:11

Zero chance

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 13-Jan-22 13:53:06

Maybe he will be forced to ‘resign’….?

We can but hope.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 14:30:50

Nothing will happen. Just yet.

However it seems the Scottish Tories could break away if Boris remains in Downing Street. 24 of the party's 31 MSPs at Holyrood, led by Mr Ross, have publicly demanded he step down.

Alegrias1 Thu 13-Jan-22 14:31:59

No mention of Mr Rees-Mogg's helpful intervention then Urmstongran?

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 14:42:49

Not from me.

Alegrias1 Thu 13-Jan-22 14:45:02

Well I'll mention it then.

JRM said that Ross was a lightweight. That the person who really mattered was the Scottish Secretary, whose name escapes me.

For the first time in my life I feel grateful to JRM.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 14:46:23

I guess if your interpretation of 'liability' is putting a bit of backbone back into the Conservatives.

Alegrias1 Thu 13-Jan-22 14:50:03

Maybe I wasn't clear...

JRM told us that the person in charge of the Tories in Scotland doesn't matter. That all the Scottish MSPs don't matter. That the only one who matters is the minister appointed by the WM government.

I'm not a Tory voter, and the Scottish Tories may not be my cup of tea but I'll not see them maligned by Eton-boy. We know where we stand now, I guess.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 14:58:01

Yes. Surging towards independence I think.
Boris is hated north of the border anyway. I think the Scottish Tories regard him as a liability up there.
All grist to the mill.

rafichagran Thu 13-Jan-22 14:58:43

As a Tory voter, I am disgusted with Boris, he should do the decent thing an resign, dont hold your breath though.
I find him a lying despicable man.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 15:01:34

Sturgeon was in big trouble for getting it all wrong for the last two months.
Rees Mogg has let her off the hook.

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 15:02:25

Esspee

Thanks Dinahmo. Someone told me that but up to yesterday those nice people at HMRC sent me an email reminding me it is due at the end of the month so I am not taking a chance.
Anyway I am off to spend February in the sun Inshallah so no excuses - it has to be done.

I hope they haven't phoned you and told you someone will be coming to arrest you if you don't pay what you owe NOW, Esspee shock!

Should we take bets - what are the odds he'll be gone by the end next week?

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 15:12:59

BREAKING NEWS:

So Barry Gardiner.. a (very boring to listen to) Labour MP has received over £427,000 from a Chinese spy since 2015. For what?

And most worry about Partygate! Says it all.

Alegrias1 Thu 13-Jan-22 15:22:56

Urmstongran

Sturgeon was in big trouble for getting it all wrong for the last two months.
Rees Mogg has let her off the hook.

In trouble was she?

Well we'll see, won't we?

Esspee Thu 13-Jan-22 16:19:42

In Scotland the feeling is that our first minister has led by example and most have agreed with her decisions to be a little wary about easing restrictions.
I have no idea where you got the idea that she was in big trouble for getting it wrong in the last few months Urmstongran.
I feel pride that we are represented by such a competent woman regardless of her politics especially when compared with your Prime Minister.
Has he resigned yet?

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 16:22:52

Well that’s not what I see on the news and in the press Esspee.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 13-Jan-22 16:27:40

Urmstongran

BREAKING NEWS:

So Barry Gardiner.. a (very boring to listen to) Labour MP has received over £427,000 from a Chinese spy since 2015. For what?

And most worry about Partygate! Says it all.

It’s allegedly the offices of lawyer Christine Lee which are under suspicion.

The Speaker has alerted the House that Chinese agents may have been active in trying to influence a MP/s

paddyann54 Thu 13-Jan-22 16:41:08

Ah that gutter(unionist) press that loves to talk us down.Scotland has mainly been right with Ms Sturgeon all the way through the pandemic.We even thought we had got a handle on it with two months of no deaths and then Westminster refused to close the borders..in fact they said there IS NO BORDER!!!
Nicola Sturgeon is a well respected FM not only by the electorate here but worldwide as was recently seen during COP26 . And with the Swedish remarks about Scotlands NHS being a wonderful example at a Westminster committee much to the annoyance of the English MP's on the board.We are very lucky to have her

Esspee Thu 13-Jan-22 16:43:10

Urmstongran

Well that’s not what I see on the news and in the press Esspee.

The only people I have heard criticising her slower approach to the easing of restrictions are the COVID deniers who want to party and those whose businesses have been impacted. (night clubs, pubs etc.)

Has he resigned yet?

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 16:46:36

Lucky to have her paddyanne? That’s certainly one way of putting it.