Gransnet forums

News & politics

I’m constantly refreshing the News sites

(111 Posts)
Esspee Thu 13-Jan-22 13:00:39

I am supposed to be doing my income tax, deadline looming ?, but every chance I get I’m refreshing the News pages in the hope of seeing Boris’s resignation announcement.

What do you think the chances are?

Marydoll Thu 13-Jan-22 17:01:07

Urmstongran

Lucky to have her paddyanne? That’s certainly one way of putting it.

From where are you getting your facts, Urmstongran?
NS. by her actions, continues to highlight Boris as dishonest, incompetent and amoral. How on earth can anyone have respect for Boris.
I may not be a supporter of the SNP, but as a Scot, living in Scotland, I have nothing but respect for Nicola Sturgeon.

ayse Thu 13-Jan-22 17:04:47

On BBC News about Barry Gardiner. Not hidden and declared as MPs are expected to do! Why do some people make inflammatory comments without finding out more information?

According to the register of MPs' interests, between then and 2020, he received over £420,000 from her, mostly covering the costs of employing parliamentary researchers.

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 17:06:11

and then Westminster refused to close the borders..in fact they said there IS NO BORDER!!!

It wouldn't be possible.

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 17:10:44

I agree that some consistency over New Year would have been a good idea but did you want armed guards stopping people crossing from Scotland into England?
Can you imagine what Scots would say if armed guards and armed police were on the English side of the border stopping Scots coming over to enjoy NY in England?

Some people I know here wouldn't be able to get out of their houses if the borders were properly shut with armed guards as they did in Australia..

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 13-Jan-22 17:14:17

One of the BBC journalists (the Scottish one) reckoned that when Tory MPs go back to their constituencies this weekend, they may well be harangued by the Tory faithful, who will wonder why Johnson hasn’t resigned yet etc., etc.

I am not a Tory by any stretch of the imagination, but it would be nice to have a competent government led by a reasonably moral person who doesn’t take us all as fools.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 17:15:35

And Mrs Lee’s nephew was working in Barry Gardiner’s office until today as his diary manager on a voluntary basis. I bet he bluddy was! Privy to all kinds of information. Who knows maybe the Chinese Communist Party paid the lad a handsome salary for his placement.

As M15 are involved this all isn’t just alledgedly. The Speaker of the House has been informed, Iain Duncan Smith (described just now by SKY news as a ‘Chinese hawk’) is particularly concerned about the ramifications.

Mrs Lee, a solicitor, has been involved with the Labour Party since Jeremy Corbyn was dear leader.

All very worrying.

In answer to yourself Marydoll in regard to NS (and others of course - I’m not singling her out!) I pick up and read/watch many news sites. I find reading 4 newspapers with articles on the same story from different sources gives a rounded flavour of events.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 13-Jan-22 17:15:49

This is from the BBC website

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 17:27:40

How can we vote for such numpties?
Honestly, the smell of money and they lose all common sense and integrity.

Esspee Thu 13-Jan-22 17:54:07

Presumably the spy story has been released in a pathetic attempt to take the heat off Boris. They are sooooo predictable.

Meanwhile Boris is hiding out at no 10 because a member of his family has tested positive. They really expect us to believe that twaddle? He is lying low in the hope it will all blow over.

In England what are the current rules if someone in your household tests positive? Thought it was that you didn’t have to isolate?

Has he resigned yet?

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 18:01:01

I think a real threat flagged up by M15 is a little more than a dead cat story Esspee don’t you? And furthermore I don’t think such a responsible and respected department would ‘save’ such findings to pull Boris out of a hole at what could be perceived as an appropriate moment.

Perhaps you think Prince Andrew being stripped of his HRH status today is another ‘look - there’s a squirrel’ release?

vegansrock Thu 13-Jan-22 18:01:07

I’m not sure if the Chinese will find out many state secrets from the son of someone dodgy who works unpaid in the office of a backbench Labour MP. Chinese own a lot of utility companies in the U.K. don’t they?

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 18:02:53

The (no) pay isn’t the issue here.

Esspee Thu 13-Jan-22 18:03:18

How convenient. The Prince Andrew story released in time for the evening news.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 18:06:37

For someone living in France Esspee you do seem a little obsessed about our P.M.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 13-Jan-22 18:09:58

I doubt very much if our Queen and MI5 have got together and decided to take the pressure of off the PM.

Lucca Thu 13-Jan-22 18:13:34

Marydoll

Urmstongran

Lucky to have her paddyanne? That’s certainly one way of putting it.

From where are you getting your facts, Urmstongran?
NS. by her actions, continues to highlight Boris as dishonest, incompetent and amoral. How on earth can anyone have respect for Boris.
I may not be a supporter of the SNP, but as a Scot, living in Scotland, I have nothing but respect for Nicola Sturgeon.

As do I not being a Scot. I’ve always admired her.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 18:13:39

???

Lucca Thu 13-Jan-22 18:14:29

Urmstongran

For someone living in France Esspee you do seem a little obsessed about our P.M.

Why can’t people who live elsewhere comment on the UK ? Is it against GN guidelines ?

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 18:14:36

Apologies Lucca X posts.
My giggling was to GG13.

Lucca Thu 13-Jan-22 18:14:49

Urmstongran

???

Why ?

Lucca Thu 13-Jan-22 18:15:05

Ok

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 18:15:59

Not at all Lucca in fact it’s refreshing. However asking ‘has he resigned yet’ 6 times in one day does become tedious.

Marydoll Thu 13-Jan-22 18:24:32

I thought Espee lived in the West of Scotland. Last summer, we had conversation about the weather here. I think I may have lost the plot!

Granniesunite Thu 13-Jan-22 18:26:32

He won’t resign… He’s needs to be sacked. That’s a familiar route for him..

Lucca Thu 13-Jan-22 18:30:50

Marydoll

I thought Espee lived in the West of Scotland. Last summer, we had conversation about the weather here. I think I may have lost the plot!

Yes I rather thought she lived in Scotland….