Gransnet forums

News & politics

I’m constantly refreshing the News sites

(111 Posts)
Esspee Thu 13-Jan-22 13:00:39

I am supposed to be doing my income tax, deadline looming ?, but every chance I get I’m refreshing the News pages in the hope of seeing Boris’s resignation announcement.

What do you think the chances are?

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 18:34:19

My apologies ladies. I must be getting Esspee mixed up with another poster.
It happens.

Marydoll Thu 13-Jan-22 18:50:52

Urms, in your defence, her username both looks and sounds French ?

Esspee Thu 13-Jan-22 19:36:46

Marydoll

I thought Espee lived in the West of Scotland. Last summer, we had conversation about the weather here. I think I may have lost the plot!

No Marydoll you’re not losing the plot. I’m a proud Weegie.

I’ve never even been to France (passed through once)

MaizieD Thu 13-Jan-22 19:45:36

Marydoll

*Urms*, in your defence, her username both looks and sounds French ?

That's no defence at all. A number of the regular posters on this forum live in France or other European countries. It doesn't invalidate what they say.

Marydoll Thu 13-Jan-22 19:51:08

MaizieD

Marydoll

That's no defence at all. A number of the regular posters on this forum live in France or other European countries. It doesn't invalidate what they say.

My post was tongue in cheek! Sigh!
Good grief, so quick to jump on posters, MaizieD.

MaizieD Thu 13-Jan-22 20:48:23

Marydoll

MaizieD

Marydoll

My post was tongue in cheek! Sigh!
Good grief, so quick to jump on posters, MaizieD.

I think the last five years has given me a sense of humour bypass, Marydoll.

There have been unpleasant outbreaks of xenophobia in the past... Perhaps you're not aware of that.

Marydoll Thu 13-Jan-22 21:09:58

Perhaps, because I am not xenophobic and it would never occur to me to be so. Maizie.

It was Urms thinking that Espee was living in France, which amused me, knowing that she lived near me. Nothing else.

Lucca Thu 13-Jan-22 23:30:18

There are often comments that posters not living in UK shouldn’t have too much to say about it…..

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 23:43:09

I will stop commenting about Australia! ?

Urmstongran Fri 14-Jan-22 10:06:53

I for one didn’t take any offence Marydoll. ??
I got mixed up + you knew the answer = harmony.

Mamie Fri 14-Jan-22 11:03:56

Actually Urmstongran I would have to say that for someone living in the UK you come across as much more than a little bit obsessed with President Macron. ???

Marydoll Fri 14-Jan-22 11:07:13

Mamie

Actually Urmstongran I would have to say that for someone living in the UK you come across as much more than a little bit obsessed with President Macron. ???

Even more with Nicola Sturgeon. ??

Moggycuddler Fri 14-Jan-22 11:27:58

He won't resign. He's like Trump, has no sense of decency and no shame.

Grantanow Fri 14-Jan-22 11:34:17

Barry Gardiner and the Chinese 'spy' are a distraction. It's whataboutery. Boris is the topic and he has behaved atrociously. He must go.

MaizieD Fri 14-Jan-22 11:37:32

Urmstongran

I for one didn’t take any offence Marydoll. ??
I got mixed up + you knew the answer = harmony.

I don't see why you should have takenoffence, Ug as it was your post about esspee that was bordering on the offensive.

crazygranny Fri 14-Jan-22 11:40:09

A political commentator suggested that the party is just quietly agreeing on a successor.

Calistemon Fri 14-Jan-22 11:40:28

Grantanow

Barry Gardiner and the Chinese 'spy' are a distraction. It's whataboutery. Boris is the topic and he has behaved atrociously. He must go.

No, it's not a distraction.

It is very worrying indeed, anyone who cannot see that is sleepwalking!

Boris Johnson should resign, yes, but the Chinese spy revelations are much, much bigger than the stories of parties at No 10. They are part of the problem and we have a Nero in charge whilst all this is happening on his watch.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-Jan-22 11:57:22

Calistemon I am worried about any Chinese infiltration of any MPs wherever they sit in the House.

Dinahmo Fri 14-Jan-22 12:01:29

Esspee

Marydoll

I thought Espee lived in the West of Scotland. Last summer, we had conversation about the weather here. I think I may have lost the plot!

No Marydoll you’re not losing the plot. I’m a proud Weegie.

I’ve never even been to France (passed through once)

You should come. It's a beautiful country and many historic ties with Scotland

Anniel Fri 14-Jan-22 12:51:54

Two things. Barry Gardiner is one of the Labour shadow ministers who does a good job, however new. The spy allegations are worrying but Mr Gardiner should not be condemned. Re Boris, I am a Tory but I just voted in the party survey and while he must go it is best for us for him to stay while we all decide who the next leader. Nobody stands out.
Carrie Johnson has been a malign influence on Boris re the green agenda and trying to get her mates into jobs. She should keep her nose out of it. Also Cummings is a very vengeful man whose sole ambition is to destroy Boris, so we will never be at ease while every story will be told. I still do not think Labour can win yet, so be careful what you wish for. I can tell you that people like Angela Rayner baying at the front benches, comforts any Tory! As for Nicola Sturgeon in many areas of Scotland she is not popular. Many English people will not mind if the Scots leave the union. Good luck to an independent Scotland. Once the Queen dies, there is no reason to keep Scotland in the United Kingdom if the majority of Scots agree to independence. I doubt it will happen. But then I am English so what would we know!

Treetops05 Fri 14-Jan-22 12:54:47

None, he is too arrogant and thick skinned to resign

LovelyLady Fri 14-Jan-22 13:07:24

I’d be delighted if Nicola Sturgeon were to be the PM. Then we’d see true, honest, dynamic leadership in action. Of course I know sadly this isn’t happening.
Nicola proves their are listening leaders, just not in No 10

Daisend1 Fri 14-Jan-22 13:09:47

Esspee
Don't think be will have much choice if GN comments are any thing to go by.
Staying put will not put the Conservative party top of the UK 'hit parade' when it comes to whose next for No 10.

Alegrias1 Fri 14-Jan-22 13:10:42

Once the Queen dies, there is no reason to keep Scotland in the United Kingdom if the majority of Scots agree to independence.

Oh thank you yer honour, we'll be ever so grateful if you let us go.

Goodness sake....

Marmite32 Fri 14-Jan-22 13:20:41

Urms - I thought you lived part-time in Spain?