Gransnet forums

News & politics

Part of me wants him to cling on……

(240 Posts)
Esspee Sat 15-Jan-22 08:26:40

……so that the Conservatives are wiped out in the next election.

Your thoughts?

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 15-Jan-22 09:35:38

Brexit done! Really? Some people on here are living in a different universe.

MerylStreep Sat 15-Jan-22 09:35:56

This short video identifies him clearly.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10403057/Tories-accuse-Keir-Starmer-hypocrite-party-row.html

Alegrias1 Sat 15-Jan-22 09:40:40

OK, hands up.

Who drank beer during lockdown? Who also went to work?

Hanging offence.

Unless of course, you did it in a garden with 30 other people and got one of the minions to fetch bottles of wine in a suitcase and brought your spouse and you didn't notice there was a party going on.

That was allowed, apparently.

TopsyIrene06 Sat 15-Jan-22 09:44:12

Brexit is not done (NI) and Keir Starmer is not the PM making the rules.

MaizieD Sat 15-Jan-22 09:44:26

MerylStreep

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10403057/Tories-accuse-Keir-Starmer-hypocrite-party-row.html

Whether it identifies him or not, Meryl my post above still applies. Particularly the last paragraph.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 15-Jan-22 09:45:04

MerylStreep

Clutching at straws there. The Sun ran this first and dumped it as a non- starter.

Oldnproud Sat 15-Jan-22 09:50:55

Ladyleftfieldlover

Brexit done! Really? Some people on here are living in a different universe.

So true.

Dinahmo Sat 15-Jan-22 09:51:06

Mollygo

Riverwalk, evidently Starmer was out for drinks with friends during lockdown as well and using the same excuse as BJ.
Two wrongs don’t make a right but I suspect there’ll be more revelations like this about all politicians to come.
Politicians and truth ?

I thought that it was at his constituency office and that it was a meal after a day's hard work.

rosie1959 Sat 15-Jan-22 09:52:10

Susan56

I agree notgran.

Also agree with Maizie, why is he isolating?‍♀️

You are actually advised to limit your contacts if you have been in close contact with a positive case as per the Gov.uk website
I have done this myself this week which is probably as well as I tested positive with no symptoms if I had carried on with booked meetings I could have really passed it around

Hetty58 Sat 15-Jan-22 09:53:24

Kim19, I really don't think that those who lost loved ones will ever 'forget' or vote Conservative again.

Dinahmo Sat 15-Jan-22 09:56:32

Having seen the above answers it would seem that it wasn't at his constituency office. However, to quote WhiteWave - "clutching at straws"

Kali2 Sat 15-Jan-22 09:56:38

Urmstongran

I’m not fussed either way. He got Brexit done ✅

Has he? Really? Why is Truss negotiating now?

BTW, it's been a long time. Any of you made that list yet?

Urmstongran Sat 15-Jan-22 09:59:47

We are out. ?
Uncoupling fully will take a bit of time after 40+ years of being in.
I’m happy to wait.

Mummer Sat 15-Jan-22 10:02:07

Urmstongran

I’m not fussed either way. He got Brexit done ✅

Oh ye of easy hoodwinkery! He didn't get anything done, all the donkey work had been done well before he traipsed his filthy boots into #10

Calistemon Sat 15-Jan-22 10:05:12

MerylStreep

It doesn't look like a visit to a brewery to me and there is another bottle of what looks like alcohol in the window too; behind him someone is standing eating buffet food.

Yes, probably a non-story but this was not taken on a brewery visit!

However, he must have been working, MerylStreep, because he's wearing his spectacles. ?

Nothing against Starmer, btw, and I may well vote for him next time unless the Lib Dems rally ?

Mummer Sat 15-Jan-22 10:05:53

Huge difference between one bottle in the offices then home and all nighter with drunken carry on and sending someone with a suitcase to get another dozen bottles methinks! Like calling a toast a booze up! Stop trying to defend the indefensible

EllanVannin Sat 15-Jan-22 10:05:55

I'm just not fussed. Que Sera sera !

I won't be visiting any polling station in the future. I gave up a couple of years ago because once upon a time, if your name wasn't crossed off the list someone would call and offer a lift. Because that doesn't now happen and nobody seems to care, neither do I---simple as that.

Mummer Sat 15-Jan-22 10:07:39

You ever been on a brewery visit? Didn't think so, you do stand in a room /pub mock up and get ONE free bottle, anything else you want you pay for!

Calistemon Sat 15-Jan-22 10:09:41

Mummer

You ever been on a brewery visit? Didn't think so, you do stand in a room /pub mock up and get ONE free bottle, anything else you want you pay for!

Yes, and a couple of distilleries, vineyards etc.
Harvey's in Bristol was the worst - good thing we went by coach.

I don't drink usually.

luluaugust Sat 15-Jan-22 10:12:08

I would guess a decision will be made about BJ staying or going after the local elections in May, they are nearly always a protest vote against central government, so how bad will it be?

BlueBelle Sat 15-Jan-22 10:15:49

Umstrongran you have a one track mind and one that helped to ruin the country which I find hard to forgive not much democracy when the whole campaign was built on lying and hoodwinking half the electorate who were easy to hoodwink
Not much good to show for going it alone and this is coming from one who didn’t vote to go in but realised the huge advantages over the years

Urmstongran Sat 15-Jan-22 10:23:22

We just view things differently Bluebelle. That’s allowed.

Blondiescot Sat 15-Jan-22 10:25:53

Brexit done, really? And just look at the sh**storm that's left us with...

MaizieD Sat 15-Jan-22 10:29:29

rosie1959

Susan56

I agree notgran.

Also agree with Maizie, why is he isolating?‍♀️

You are actually advised to limit your contacts if you have been in close contact with a positive case as per the Gov.uk website
I have done this myself this week which is probably as well as I tested positive with no symptoms if I had carried on with booked meetings I could have really passed it around

Current guidelines on self isolation from the NHS website:

start

When you do not need to self-isolate

If you live with or have been in contact with someone with COVID-19, you will not need to self-isolate if any of the following apply:

you're fully vaccinated – this means 14 days have passed since your final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine
you're under 18 years old
you're taking part or have taken part in an approved COVID-19 vaccine trial
you're not able to get vaccinated for medical reasons
Even if you do not have symptoms, you're strongly advised to:

do daily rapid lateral flow tests (1 a day for 7 days), if you’re fully vaccinated, to protect yourself and others from COVID-19 - find out more about daily testing on GOV.UK
follow advice on how to avoid catching and spreading COVID-19
consider limiting contact with people who are at higher risk from COVID-19

end

It seems from this that the only people he needs to self isolate from are his young children. Bet he's not doing that...

Kandinsky Sat 15-Jan-22 10:36:15

Brexit done! Really? Some people on here are living in a different universe

See I genuinely don’t understand this.
Are we still in the EU?
Haven’t we left yet?

Can someone please explain.