Gransnet forums

News & politics

should care home staff be female only!

(45 Posts)
lemsip Mon 07-Feb-22 19:51:29

A dreadful case in the news today of a 49yr old man raping a 99yr old dementia sufferer in a care home jailed for life, minimum 10 years. caught on cctv installed by her family.
anyone else read about this..

MissAdventure Mon 07-Feb-22 22:51:59

I dare not say what I'd like to about the monster who did this.
I will say he needs a good kick in the balls though.

Grannynannywanny Mon 07-Feb-22 22:59:54

I haven’t read the full article but feel physically sick reading the headlines. How awful for that defenceless lady and her poor family. Presumably they must have had concerns about her care when they set up a camera. It’s horrific.

NanaAng14 Tue 08-Feb-22 07:22:00

I work in a care home and there are 4 male staff. All of them have lovely caring natures .I like when I go in and they are on my shift.

LadyGracie Tue 08-Feb-22 07:23:48

Definitely not.

lemsip Tue 08-Feb-22 08:01:48

NanaAng14

I work in a care home and there are 4 male staff. All of them have lovely caring natures .I like when I go in and they are on my shift.

I'm quite sure the man found guilty of this heinous crime against a 99 year old lady was as you say;
' lovely caring nature as he went about his' caring' where others could see him and with the other female carers. but behind a closed door?

mumofmadboys Tue 08-Feb-22 08:09:53

It is hard to get enough carers anyway. It would make it infinitely harder if only females were employed. Men are often well suited to the role and it would be a shame to deny them the chance.

silverlining48 Tue 08-Feb-22 08:31:18

Maybe like male doctors have a nurse present on any intimate examination situations it should be the same in care homes. It would shorten the time fir the care provided though with the staff situation as it is that may not be possible.
I requested my mum who had dementia to have only female carers but it wasn’t always possible and though the male carer seemed very kind I still felt uncomfortable with it as I knew she would also not be happy.
For those who have said female carers also abuse while it is possible it is much less likely to happen.
I hadn’t heard of this dreadful case and a life sentence which can be reduced to 10 years ( yes I know the licence system) is nevertheless light. He is and will remain a danger.

FarNorth Tue 08-Feb-22 08:45:13

It wouldn’t always be possible for a resident to express if they had a preference even there was a choice.

That doesn't mean the option to express a preference, and have it respected, shouldn't be there.

It's true that some female staff ill-treat vulnerable people. Sex attacks, tho, are a particularly vile form of abuse and are usually done by men.

Grannynannywanny Tue 08-Feb-22 08:51:30

Staff are already spread too thinly in care homes. It just wouldn’t work to have a male carer chaperoned by a female one for washing and dressing a resident. They might be 2 of just 3 staff on duty and with 15 or maybe more residents all needing assistance with personal care.

Susie42 Tue 08-Feb-22 09:27:08

The husband of a friend refused female careers which caused problems with his care if there were no male staff on duty. He was also very rude to the female staff if they tried to help.

Susie42 Tue 08-Feb-22 09:40:41

Sorry, that should be carers not careers.

nandad Tue 08-Feb-22 10:51:51

Sadly there isn’t much choice when it comes to carers. Until people acknowledge that they are paid poorly to do the job most of us don’t want to do then the care industry has a very small pool to choose from.
This man wasn’t a carer, he is a rapist. He was probably “one of the nicest people you could meet”, which made hiding his crime easier. One of my nicest, most caring students was jailed for grooming a 9 year old girl. When I think about how lovely he was to two of our disabled students my blood runs cold wondering if he ever abused them.

SiobhanSharpe Tue 08-Feb-22 11:07:37

Hithere

Females are also very capable of committing sexual assaults

No, caregiving is NOT only for women

Currently and historically some 98 per cent of all sexual assaults are committed by men.

Callistemon21 Tue 08-Feb-22 11:12:57

SiobhanSharpe

Hithere

Females are also very capable of committing sexual assaults

No, caregiving is NOT only for women

Currently and historically some 98 per cent of all sexual assaults are committed by men.

Yes, that was a red herring, a diversionary tactic.

1summer Tue 08-Feb-22 11:15:14

Of course carers can be male or female. But I would prefer for my dignity a giver of personal care to be female.

MissAdventure Tue 08-Feb-22 11:20:38

That's the thing.
There should be a choice, and for those who are unable to make a choice, others should be able to advocate on their behalf; it's how care should work.

Hithere Tue 08-Feb-22 12:01:12

98% of the cases that are reported and we are aware of

Callistemon21 Tue 08-Feb-22 12:03:02

So the percentage could be 99% or even higher.

MissAdventure Tue 08-Feb-22 12:05:05

Well, for young adults with disabilities, jobs which involve personal care are allowed to state that men can not apply.
They are exempt from the usual equality laws.

That's how risk assessments work; reduce a possible risk in the easiest way available.
Everyone who is 'looked after' deserves that, as a minimum.