Gransnet forums

News & politics

So much for a world beating Animal Welfare Bill

(108 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Feb-22 07:25:29

The government have shelved a proposed ban on foie gras and imported fur..

Rees Mogg argued that it prevents personal choice.

Not sure what choice the animals have.

Like everything else the promises are nothing but hot air.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Feb-22 14:25:24

Callistemon21 my Danish DiL will not by Danish pork products, when she returns home she reverts back to vegetarianism as does my GC.

We are fortunate to be able to afford high welfare meat and dairy products, I appreciate that we are lucky and that not everyone can.

Food production is big business and there are millions of folks employed in the Industry.

Josieann Sat 19-Feb-22 14:29:04

So disappointed, just found this in my signed copy of my hero's cookery book. And it is served in the restaurant too. sad

Kali2 Sat 19-Feb-22 14:38:40

vegansrock

There is now a cruelty free foie gras, so some farmers are gradually changing their practices due to campaigning within France. Why couldn’t we just allow those ones to be imported?

Absolute nonsense. Now it is 'better' than industrial foie gras, but the cruelty is very much there all the same. Force feeding geese until they can barely stand, even if done by 'softer' methods, is still disgusting.

Who can remember the episode of 'Tale of the Unexpected' where a young British couple on honeymoon arrives at a vera posh Hôtel where they win the foie gras price every year, and they are invited to stay for 2 weeks with all meals, wine and calvados for free?

Josieann Sat 19-Feb-22 14:51:58

I assume the geese have to eat loads by whatever method to cause the chemical reaction in their liver or stomach? If they weren't force fed but had unlimited access to food, would they be like other creatures who don't have a cut off point and just eat continuously, instead of walking away and digesting?

harold Sat 19-Feb-22 14:57:24

I wonder what went on during discussions on this change to the bill.
For some reason I tend to cringe when anything is glibly called "world-beating";

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 15:02:05

Josieann

I assume the geese have to eat loads by whatever method to cause the chemical reaction in their liver or stomach? If they weren't force fed but had unlimited access to food, would they be like other creatures who don't have a cut off point and just eat continuously, instead of walking away and digesting?

Like dogs if they had a chance?

vegansrock Sat 19-Feb-22 17:59:28

The UKs welfare standards are not the highest so stop kidding yourselves. I wouldn’t touch foie gras of any description with a barge pole, and agree no animal agriculture is cruelty free, but what I was saying that there are those in France who are attempting to improve the most cruel of practices. Another back peddle by this government who couldn’t sink any lower in my opinion.

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 18:04:46

The UKs welfare standards are not the highest so stop kidding yourselves

I'm not kidding myself, the information was from an organisation concerned about animal welfare

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 18:06:22

Another back peddle by this government who couldn’t sink any lower in my opinion.

But not as low as all other European countries apart from Sweden and Austria as regards animal welfare!!

MayBee70 Sat 19-Feb-22 18:29:03

But they said that leaving the EU would make our animal welfare standards better. And now they’re backtracking on that. People who voted leave voted to improve standards. Doesn’t that mean that vote leave lied. Just as they did about removing VAT from fuel?

Kali2 Sat 19-Feb-22 18:47:29

or more or less everything else!

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 19-Feb-22 18:48:21

I don’t think there’s any doubt that Vote Leave lied. Glad I wasn’t taken in.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Feb-22 18:50:53

There is a detailed article on this Bill on the BBC website, it is not a done deal

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Feb-22 19:35:26

GrannyGravy13

There is a detailed article on this Bill on the BBC website, it is not ^a done deal^

Do not be fooled. We are dealing with Mogg and the right here remember.

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 19:46:43

MayBee70

But they said that leaving the EU would make our animal welfare standards better. And now they’re backtracking on that. People who voted leave voted to improve standards. Doesn’t that mean that vote leave lied. Just as they did about removing VAT from fuel?

Well, so they did!
They didn't keep their promises, did they!

Surprise, surprise!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Feb-22 19:51:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Feb-22 19:59:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 20:22:50

Imazalil is "moderately hazardous" and a likely human carcinogen, according to the World Health Organisation, but most of the pesticide might be in the peel and therefore not eaten.

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 20:23:33

Oh! My post might be deleted as I was responding to Whitewave

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Feb-22 20:31:12

Callistemon21

Oh! My post might be deleted as I was responding to Whitewave

It is because I realised I was wrong so asked for it to be withdrawn.

What I’ve subsequently found is that it is still used in the EU, but it is to be drastically reduced. The U.K. have as yet no plans to reduce its use.

But it does look an unpleasant chemical.

Organic is the way to go I guess.

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 20:40:15

It happened very quickly!

Shinamae Sat 19-Feb-22 20:43:10

Shandy57

I wonder who invented foie gras. Such a disgusting thing to do to a defenceless creature.

And I was all set to blame the Romans!

Shandy57 Sat 19-Feb-22 21:38:30

Thanks Shinamae, poor old geese should have flown somewhere else. Unfortunately I caught part of a film which showed the appalling conditions they are kept in, with a rough man grabbing at the geese, another image I'll never get out of my mind.

vegansrock Sat 19-Feb-22 22:00:10

We may have high standards on paper but they aren’t adhered to - hardly any prosecutions for cruelty despite loads of evidence. Just because other countries are worse is no defence, we should be striving to improve standards everywhere. We were PROMISED higher standards and it isn’t being delivered. I can’t say I’m surprised, just another thing to get angry about.

Shinamae Sat 19-Feb-22 22:17:17

This..??