Gransnet forums

News & politics

Coming out as transgender

(192 Posts)
varian Wed 30-Mar-22 20:10:05

UK Tory MP comes out as transgender amid culture war escalation

www.politico.eu/article/uk-mp-comes-out-transgender-culture-wars/

GagaJo Thu 31-Mar-22 12:30:46

Certainly, it'll be very hard for their family. But trans doesn't have to mean the end of a marriage. Grayson Perry is a good example. His wife accepts him as he is.

They were raped and then blackmailed. And has to deal with the trauma of being trans. I pity them.

Yes, his business dealings seem to be dodgy. But as I said above, our PM is no great moral example.

JaneJudge Thu 31-Mar-22 12:45:44

I thought Grayson Perry didn't identify as transgender, more he likes to cross dress as his alter ego - whose name escapes me.

PamelaJ1 Thu 31-Mar-22 12:48:11

GagaJo
Grayson Perry isn’t trans.

Parsley3 Thu 31-Mar-22 12:57:13

Are candidates no longer vetted before they are accepted as potential MPs? The backstory to this fellow’s revelation is extraordinarily seedy and yet people are saying how brave he is and well done the PM for supporting him. Has the nation’s collective consciousness been so brainwashed that the reality of a situation can be simply glossed over in favour of some mindless cheerleading?

GagaJo Thu 31-Mar-22 12:58:08

No, of course, he's a transvestite! My apologies. I think I knew that?

Callistemon21 Thu 31-Mar-22 12:58:13

He just doesn't seem suitable to be an MP
Which is a pity because he's a very clever person.

Unfortunately, the more that comes out, the more sordid his business dealings appear to be and, of course, he will not be deselected because that could be construed as being transphobic.

If he loses at the next GE then his constituents will be accused of transphobia.

GagaJo Thu 31-Mar-22 12:58:44

Are you surprised Parsley3? Boris isn't exactly a prince among men.

Rosie51 Thu 31-Mar-22 13:13:48

Certainly, it'll be very hard for their family. But trans doesn't have to mean the end of a marriage. Grayson Perry is a good example. His wife accepts him as he is.

As you've now acknowledged Grayson Perry is not trans, and it would seem his wife is happy with his cross dressing.

A better example would be Debbie Hayton whose family is still intact. Of course she's disliked by many TRAs because she knows she's male, stands up for men out of women's sports, and her children still call her dad, which she's proud to be.

For many women whose husbands decide to become transwomen they become transwidows and are very unhappy with the situation. They need far more support than they get for a situation not of their making or wish.

Casdon Thu 31-Mar-22 13:22:45

Bridgend is historically usually a Labour seat, and the Senedd member is Labour currently. I doubt very much that a Tory candidate, whoever it was will get in there at the next general election - as anniebach said it was the anti Corbyn vote last time.

Urmstongran Thu 31-Mar-22 13:28:31

Doodledog

Hasn’t he come out as trans in mitigation against a charge of driving under the influence and leaving the scene of an accident?

This MP sounds quite a dodgy character. I didn’t know about his Sugar Daddy sideline either. I hope he doesn’t stand for e-election or if he does, that his constituents don’t vote for him!

Callistemon21 Thu 31-Mar-22 14:46:31

Anniebach

He will not stand for Bridgend ,he only won that seat because
of Corbyn

A pity that the Labour candidate and former MP Madeleine Moon lost the seat - she wasn't pro-Corbyn either.

Casdon Thu 31-Mar-22 14:54:29

I doubt she will run again as she’s in her seventies now Callistemon21 but if I remember rightly it was a pretty close seat in 2019. Definitely one to watch next time.

Callistemon21 Thu 31-Mar-22 14:56:37

I didn't realise she's in her seventies.

Callistemon21 Thu 31-Mar-22 14:57:20

Oh no, she's younger than me, a spring chicken!

Anniebach Thu 31-Mar-22 15:06:49

It was very close in 2019, I telephone canvassed, kept hearing
‘For Corbyn ? No’ , will not repeat other comments.

Parsley3 Thu 31-Mar-22 15:15:45

GagaJo

Not at all surprised but very annoyed. We have a PM who can’t criticise another’s behaviour because of his pot-kettle-black reputation. It makes a mockery of common decency.

GillT57 Thu 31-Mar-22 15:17:36

Casdon

I doubt she will run again as she’s in her seventies now Callistemon21 but if I remember rightly it was a pretty close seat in 2019. Definitely one to watch next time.

He won by just a 1000 vote majority. All I can think is that is if was selected as candidate, what the hell were the ones who failed to make the list like?

GagaJo Thu 31-Mar-22 15:58:36

Parsley3

GagaJo

Not at all surprised but very annoyed. We have a PM who can’t criticise another’s behaviour because of his pot-kettle-black reputation. It makes a mockery of common decency.

We agree there.

Doodledog Thu 31-Mar-22 16:09:43

GagaJo

Parsley3

GagaJo

We agree there.

Thirded.

It's very annoying that he seems to be using the trans 'debate' to get him out of numerous tight corners. We're back to the 'poor me, I am a victim, you have to be kind to me' mentality, which is manipulative, passive aggressive and does him no favours.

If anything, the way he's linked his trans status to running from the scene of the crime is only going to anger people on both 'sides' of the divide. Are we to assume that the pimping allegations were about to be made public, too? It's all just a bit too convenient, isn't it?

grannydarkhair Thu 31-Mar-22 16:13:07

Just looked at my emails, and there’s one from Graham Linehan’s substack (I don’t know how to do links).
JW sounds like a thoroughly disreputable type. He was a councillor for a year prior to being an MP, but never attended even one meeting. He’s lied about his educational background, his business interests, he fled from the scene of the crash before police arrived so could be neither tested for drugs nor breathalysed.
Yes, it’s awful that he was raped, but he’d “hooked up” with a man online, agreed to consensual sex with a condom which the man then refused to wear and instead raped him. Nice to see how much he honours his marriage vows. And obviously didn’t think about his children if any of this was made public.
Is this really the standard of MP that the Conservative Party thinks this country deserves?

grannydarkhair Thu 31-Mar-22 16:16:12

Doodledog and others - glad to see that not everyone has fallen for the “poor me” mentality, actually I’d call it an act. But no doubt, some will say we’re being far too cynical.

JaneJudge Thu 31-Mar-22 16:22:06

I know grannydarkhair, I thought to myself what would I be more upset about - my husband saying he was trans or the fact he'd been meeting men for casual, risky sex online confused but their marriage is talked about as past tense from every article I have read.

I have sympathy for him having to deal with being raped

Galaxy Thu 31-Mar-22 16:23:55

I agree Jane, reading between the lines I dont think they are married anymore.

BlueBelle Thu 31-Mar-22 16:37:51

I m sick of the trans thing… be what you want to be but stop rubbing my nose in it I don’t need to know what you are I m not anti trans, anti gay or anti anything but I m not interested

It s nasty that he was raped (although it sounds as if he was taking ridiculous risks) but lots of women are raped everyday and it rarely makes the papers

Carry on being gay, transgender, transvestite but keep it to yourself I don’t want to know and stay out my toilets and changing rooms whilst you ve got dangly bits please

Doodledog Thu 31-Mar-22 16:41:41

I have sympathy for him having to deal with being raped

Yes, of course - who wouldn't? But the bigger picture is not of an unfortunate victim, but of an adulterer who picks up casual sexual contacts online, runs a pimping business and flees the scenes of crimes - it's not a great look for an MP, is it?

I may be cynical, but if all that were going to hit the papers, does nobody else think that his PR team might suggest trying to come up with an even more spectacular story, like the trans one? And that as Johnson and co are clearly hitching themselves to the 'culture war' mast, this is a good way for them to score 'tolerance' points by calling him Jamie and sympathising with his plight? And if it all goes pear shaped and the public don't buy it, they have plenty of ammunition to throw at him and explain why he has to lose his first-name status and spend more time with his family? And that if anyone points a finger they can be called transphobic and told to 'be kind'?

Or is it just me?