News & politics

Coming out as transgender

(192 Posts)
varian Wed 30-Mar-22 20:10:05

UK Tory MP comes out as transgender amid culture war escalation

www.politico.eu/article/uk-mp-comes-out-transgender-culture-wars/

Doodledog Fri 01-Apr-22 18:38:34

Madgran77

Whatever class any woman is does not diminish a message that they choose to give! Either one agrees with the message or one doesn't! But choosing to agree or not agree based on the class of the proponent (or even considering their class as a criteria for possible agreement/disagreement) would be a dangerous road to go down!!

I am not suggesting anyone here is or is not doing that, the conversation just got me thinking!

I couldn't agree more, Madgran. I can't believe that social class is being used against women in this day and age.

Mollygo Fri 01-Apr-22 18:58:03

Nor really against women in the past. Would it have been better if no class of women had taken a stand against the unfairness of rule by patriarchy?

Madgran77 Fri 01-Apr-22 19:16:16

Would it have been better if no class of women had taken a stand against the unfairness of rule by patriarchy?

Well if no woman had then where would all be today eh? hmm

Mollygo Fri 01-Apr-22 19:23:41

We’d be here on GN saying why don’t these young ones do something about the unfairness!

trisher Fri 01-Apr-22 22:15:10

Doodledog

Madgran77

Whatever class any woman is does not diminish a message that they choose to give! Either one agrees with the message or one doesn't! But choosing to agree or not agree based on the class of the proponent (or even considering their class as a criteria for possible agreement/disagreement) would be a dangerous road to go down!!

I am not suggesting anyone here is or is not doing that, the conversation just got me thinking!

I couldn't agree more, Madgran. I can't believe that social class is being used against women in this day and age.

Well if you choose not to recognise privilege that's up to you, but one of the women is an ex Tory councillor am I now supposed to believe that she has abandoned her Tory beliefs and suddenly cares about alll women? Is it OK to spend part of your life supporting policies which damage women and then suddenly insist you are non-partisan because you've found a single issue, or is it possible you are just using the single issue to damage the opposition?

Doodledog Fri 01-Apr-22 22:30:16

People can have unpleasant beliefs about some things but be sensible about others, though. And who decides which beliefs are harmful? I suspect that you and I would agree about Tory beliefs, but disagree about beliefs surrounding trans issues.

It's not a case of people being all good or all bad, and even that is open to interpretation.

And I don't see anyone choosing not to recognise privilege - not in the sense you are insinuating, anyway. Acknowledging that someone is from a privileged background is not the same as understanding that their views are coloured by it.

Oprah Winfrey uses her privilege to benefit the lives of black Americans (and others). Marie Antoinette's privilege meant that she couldn't understand that if peasants had no bread they couldn't simply have cake (brioche) instead. It's different.

trisher Fri 01-Apr-22 22:44:03

I couldn't agree more, Madgran. I can't believe that social class is being used against women in this day and age
No recognition of privilege there.
It's amazing how some people will twist and turn trying to avoid something which is obvious because it conflicts with, and tears holes in, something they want to believe.

Doodledog Fri 01-Apr-22 23:04:48

Ok. That'll be it. I'm so pleased you some people are here to tell me what I think and why I think it.

I honestly give up. There is no point in even trying to discuss with you some people.

Rosie51 Fri 01-Apr-22 23:19:00

Good to know your place Doodledog perhaps you need to learn how to tug your forelock in the presence of your betters smile
Amazing how the suffragettes are now middle class women interested primarily in middle class women getting the vote. I'm sure in the past they've been appropriated as 'they'd have absolutely been totally TWAW'. Now they're almost 'persona non grata'.

Madgran77 Sat 02-Apr-22 06:51:06

Well if you choose not to recognise privilege that's up to you, but one of the women is an ex Tory councillor am I now supposed to believe that she has abandoned her Tory beliefs and suddenly cares about alll women? Is it OK to spend part of your life supporting policies which damage women and then suddenly insist you are non-partisan because you've found a single issue, or is it possible you are just using the single issue to damage the opposition?

I didn't say privilege or anything else should be ignored. I said that it is the message that should be focused on! Either one agrees with a specific message or one doesn't! One may have perceived motivations about the person giving the message, which may or may not be correct! But the message is the message, regardless. Agree with it or don't! But agreeing or disagreeing with it because of the class of the messenger is ridiculous!

DiamondLily Sat 02-Apr-22 08:10:21

Plenty of female Labour politicians have been born into wealth/middle class. Others weren't.

Rosie Duffield, Labour, (working class), has come out in support of this group.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10678117/Labour-MP-Rosie-Duffield-backs-campaign-protect-sex-based-rights-local-election.html

Are they all uncaring about women? Were and are they "privileged"?

Some politicians, of all parties, are so called "working class born" -some weren't..

Some politicians have had the guts to say what they think, either way. Voters can agree or disagree.

Iam64 Sat 02-Apr-22 08:13:21

What is it with some people and the need to stress their working class credentials? To dismiss ‘middle class’ activists

DiamondLily Sat 02-Apr-22 08:20:13

Iam64

What is it with some people and the need to stress their working class credentials? To dismiss ‘middle class’ activists

God knows....I don't think it matters really, with this issue.

I was born in the East End of London - a proper cockney lol ?

I still want to keep my biological female spaces, despite my "lowly beginnings", and would support anyone pushing for that..?

Mollygo Sat 02-Apr-22 08:30:56

Iam64

I suspect that here, it’s a way for some people to add a deviation to coming out as transgender.
If some people regard supporters of a cause as ‘*not genuine supporters*’ unless they match class or party of the ‘*some people*’, that’s their problem. It doesn’t make it true.

DiamondLily Mon 11-Jul-22 15:38:23

The traffic accident was not quite as he described then:

"A Conservative MP was wearing a black leather mini-skirt, tights and high heels when he was involved in a car crash in November, a court has heard.

Jamie Wallis, who has represented Bridgend since 2019, is on trial accused of failing to stop, failing to report a road traffic collision, driving without due care and attention and leaving a vehicle in a dangerous position.

Wallis, who came out as transgender in March this year, denies the charges.

They relate to a collision on 28 November last year in which the Mercedes he is said to have been driving hit a lamppost and telegraph pole on Church Road in Llanblethian, South Wales.

Carina Hughes, prosecuting, said residents Adrian Watson and Natalie Webb were having a gathering when just after 1am they heard a "very loud bang, significantly louder than a domestic firework"

Mr Watson said he looked inside a Mercedes E-Class saloon which had crashed into the lamppost."

He saw "a white male wearing a white long-sleeve top which was tight to the body, a black leather PVC mini-skirt, tights, dark shoes with a high heel and a pearl necklace".

news.sky.com/story/tory-mp-wearing-mini-skirt-and-high-heels-in-road-crash-court-told-12649926

Allsorts Mon 11-Jul-22 15:47:44

So just a regular drive out then. You couldn’t make it up really.