Gransnet forums

News & politics

War crimes in Ukraine

(236 Posts)
maddyone Sun 03-Apr-22 11:23:08

The invasion of Ukraine and the subsequent bombings and acts of war have sickened the entire population of the UK and other countries, but this morning I heard something that seems to plumb new depths. My son arrived with my grandson this morning, having taken part in Park Run (grandchild got a PB today?) and my son son told me that he’d seen an item about Ukraine in which during the withdrawal from the Kviv area, the Russians had apparently shot all/many of the men between the ages of 14 and 60. They had been shot in the back of the head apparently and the bodies left by the side of the road. This is a blatant war crime and despite all the other atrocities happening in Ukraine I felt absolutely shocked and sickened. I commented that this was what happened frequently under the Nazis in WW2. I haven’t seen it reported though and wondered if anyone else has seen a report. Is this what we can now expect from the Russians in this desperately tragic theatre of war?

Casdon Wed 06-Apr-22 19:03:49

This was my source for the 48%.
www.britishgas.co.uk/energy/guides/energy-sources.html

Casdon Wed 06-Apr-22 19:08:55

I just checked out the government sanctions, the current plan is to stop coal and oil imports from Russia by the end of 2022. For gas no date given, it’s ‘as soon as possible’.

maddyone Wed 06-Apr-22 19:58:03

Thanks Casdon. And GG13 says in the article she posted that it’s about a third of our gas that comes from Norway, so whatever the exact figure is, it’s better than if it came from Russia.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 07-Apr-22 14:40:03

I hope this goes ahead

Casdon Thu 07-Apr-22 15:22:34

I’m keen to see a similar embargo in the UK GrannyGravy13, there has to be a way we can achieve it here too. It should actually be easier as we are less dependent on Russian fuel.

volver Thu 07-Apr-22 15:40:53

Do you think it will happen in the EU? (serious question, no sarcasm...)

Casdon Thu 07-Apr-22 16:50:55

No volver I don’t. Not for lack of will, but for economic and practical reasons. It’s a war of words between Russia and Europe/UK about this. I do think that long term Russia will regret their current stance on fuel though because alternatives will ultimately be found.

Casdon Thu 07-Apr-22 17:05:33

Good article here from ITV news, it’s a very complex picture for the UK to achieve this goal, it must be even harder for Europe.
www.itv.com/news/2022-04-07/how-can-the-uk-cut-reliance-on-russian-fossil-fuels-and-curb-energy-bills

GrannyGravy13 Thu 07-Apr-22 17:06:54

volver

Do you think it will happen in the EU? (serious question, no sarcasm...)

Honestly, no.

I do not think the populations have the stomach for fuel/energy rationing, and I do not think any European Government (including the U.K.) has the balls to impose it. I hope I am proved wrong…

I personally would go along with fuel/energy rationing here in the U.K. Other than boots on the ground which I am against I cannot see any other way of getting through to President Putin. It would take weeks/months but compared to what the remaining population of Ukraine is experiencing it’s a worthwhile inconvenience.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 07-Apr-22 18:02:18

Russia has been suspended from the UN Human Rights Council.

Apparently 28 Countries voted against this along with Countries abstaining.

Will the Russian population get to know this?

maddyone Thu 07-Apr-22 18:56:26

At a guess, no.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-Apr-22 08:15:38

It would seem that the war is almost likely to intensify over the next weeks.

It seems to me that NATO using Ukraine as a proxy in its war with Russia, is on a footing to nothing unless it ensures Russia is defeated.

If Russia wins, I would not like to think what the future holds.

Urmstongran Fri 08-Apr-22 08:39:10

I think most of our gas comes from Norway. Lucky us.

Katie59 Fri 08-Apr-22 08:40:34

Whitewavemark2

It would seem that the war is almost likely to intensify over the next weeks.

It seems to me that NATO using Ukraine as a proxy in its war with Russia, is on a footing to nothing unless it ensures Russia is defeated.

If Russia wins, I would not like to think what the future holds.

Yes it was NATO that was “courting” Ukraine to join, now they must give the the weapons to kick the Russians out.
Then of course help rebuild Ukraine.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-Apr-22 08:53:00

GrannyGravy13

Russia has been suspended from the UN Human Rights Council.

Apparently 28 Countries voted against this along with Countries abstaining.

Will the Russian population get to know this?

China sided with Russia.

It seems to me that the world is picking sides.

At the very least it would appear to be a new and bigger Cold War

volver Fri 08-Apr-22 09:09:02

Urmstongran

7 o'clock last night, on this thread, GG13 posted a screenshot that showed that most of our gas does not come from Norway.

DiamondLily Fri 08-Apr-22 09:40:06

It seems most of our gas comes from the North Sea and Norway. Russia provide us with about 3%:

inews.co.uk/news/uk-gas-where-from-how-much-russia-import-britain-supplies-explained-1504257

MaizieD Fri 08-Apr-22 09:44:03

volver

Urmstongran

7 o'clock last night, on this thread, GG13 posted a screenshot that showed that most of our gas does not come from Norway.

Haven't you realised yet, volver that it is a fact universally acknowledged that many Gnet posters are highly unlikely to have read and absorbed any information posted before they make their own comment.

MaizieD Fri 08-Apr-22 09:45:09

DiamondLily

It seems most of our gas comes from the North Sea and Norway. Russia provide us with about 3%:

inews.co.uk/news/uk-gas-where-from-how-much-russia-import-britain-supplies-explained-1504257

QED

volver Fri 08-Apr-22 09:47:29

Oh I know MaizieD. I know.... sad

Urmstongran Fri 08-Apr-22 09:49:26

Well I read in the Telegraph or Daily Mail that it did. There was a bar chart showing a huge long line on it .... from Norway.
Admittedly I don’t then rush off to fact check.

Urmstongran Fri 08-Apr-22 09:50:57

I’ve just Googled it.
This government website states that most of the UK gas comes from Norway!

www.gov.uk/government/news/russia-ukraine-and-uk-energy-factsheet

Urmstongran Fri 08-Apr-22 09:52:20

And this source says about a third.

Anyway, it’s not from Russia so we are lucky.

MaizieD Fri 08-Apr-22 09:53:58

Urmstongran

Well I read in the Telegraph or Daily Mail that it did. There was a bar chart showing a huge long line on it .... from Norway.
Admittedly I don’t then rush off to fact check.

Fact checking of everything published in those two 'news'papers is highly recommended. As is also anything published by the government that has a liar for a leader.

volver Fri 08-Apr-22 09:54:45

Our single largest source of gas is from the UK Continental Shelf and the vast majority of imports come from reliable suppliers such as Norway.

It may have escaped your notice Urmstongran, but we have a rather significant Oil and Gas industry extracting gas from the UK Continental Shelf. Then, the vast majority of our imports come from reliable suppliers such as Norway.

It does not say that most UK gas comes from Norway... hmm