Gransnet forums

News & politics

the law as it stands on sex - part 3

(338 Posts)
Doodledog Sat 23-Apr-22 09:11:32

Two thousand posts so far!

To pick up where we left off, I’ll repeat my post from the end of the last thread - I got home too late to get any answers or many comments. I’ll keep the formatting to make it easier to bold, but will lost the bold type or italics:

I’ve been out this evening, so am just catching up with the thread, and have a few questions, if that’s ok.

trisher, you seem to find a lot of this funny, but I don’t see it like that at all.

What was the point of the ‘spot the transwoman’ game?

As Galaxy says, you are quick to label others, and I wouldn’t have thought being called an ‘ally’ would have struck you as offensive, but if you don’t like it I will try to remember not to use it in relation to you. Perhaps you would remember that many people on here (me included) find ‘cis’ offensive, and would return the favour?

I also see myself as someone who believes in human rights and equality. I posted the Amnesty list of human rights on this very thread, after VS insisted that the human rights of transpeople were being abused. I asked which ones were being denied, but there was no response from either of you.

Human rights are very important to me, but I really don’t think that being allowed to undress in front of the opposite sex is a human right, and can’t see anything on the Amnesty list that is being denied to transpeople. If you think otherwise, please state which ones they are, and I’ll reconsider.

VS, You say:
Thats exactly what was said any time anyone asked for their rights... Others complained it violated theirs. It didn't and it doesn't
Can you please explain what you mean by that? I see it trotted out a lot, but nobody who repeats it has explained how it relates to the following situations:
Where there are people whose rights to undress in a single sex environment is violated by people asking for the right to use that environment as members of the opposite sex.

Where people want the right to compete fairly in a sport that they have trained for for years, but that right is violated by those who have stronger and differently proportioned bodies insisting on competing against them.

When people want the right to have agency over who touches them intimately but that right is violated by someone who does not declare their male sex to female patients/clients.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts, as I do see those things as violations of the rights of one group of people by another.

Also, what is it that you think that legislation has dealt with fairly, please?

FarNorth Wed 11-May-22 16:58:28

"Right-wing activists"? Not really.

FarNorth Wed 11-May-22 17:05:56

She's just hoping to publicise herself and get this show put on somewhere.
Let's hope that other venues who are approached look closely at the actual content of the show and its publicity, rather than at this type of waffle.

A show that's suitable for looking at sexual matters with 5 year olds will probably be quite boring for teenagers.
I don't believe the show can be suitable for all.

DiamondLily Thu 12-May-22 07:50:36

Julie Bindel had a pretty horrendous time whilst delivering a (previously postponed) lecture to York University's Free Speech Society.

The activists, who say we must be "all be kind" didn't display much courtesy or kindness to her.?

She was abused, accused, screamed at, and had placards thrust in her face. The TW mob were out in force, and she was "invited" to kiss their "man-boobs" and told things she could do with their "trans d*cks".

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10806353/JULIE-BINDEL-explains-female-students-bullied-hearing-feminists.html

Meanwhile, in the Court case involving Alison Bailey, Stonewall tell us that there are no such things as male and female bodies. They don't exist...?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10807211/We-not-inherently-male-female-Stonewall-campaigner-says-bodies-just-bodies.html

It sure is a funny old world out there in Trans La-La land.?

Mollygo Thu 12-May-22 12:34:43

If Stonewall can’t see that male and female bodies exist, they should go to Specsavers. The good news about statements like that is it makes Stonewall look even more stupid than they actually are. The bad news is that some really stupid people will actually believe it.

DiamondLily Thu 12-May-22 12:45:24

Mollygo

If Stonewall can’t see that male and female bodies exist, they should go to Specsavers. The good news about statements like that is it makes Stonewall look even more stupid than they actually are. The bad news is that some really stupid people will actually believe it.

I've been asked to start a new thread with this, as it's about freedom of speech and biological facts, as much as anything.

Doodledog Thu 12-May-22 14:02:23

I got sidetracked, but was just about to post to ask you to start a new thread, DL.

I think you are describing a situation that is separate from this one, and your point could easily get lost.

FarNorth Sat 14-May-22 13:13:38

m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2g--xirNIDSgRTJqQLo1CfI11H0Bi8QUWrangpSwt-8kdqHMAWvBpoB6k&v=oVo5jdy2FZw&feature=youtu.be

This is very sad to watch.
A transwoman who has realised that his life has been ruined by the attempt to be a woman instead of an effeminate man.

Blossoming Fri 20-May-22 12:05:47

Some of you may find this interesting. www.medscape.co.uk/viewarticle/retired-doctor-wrongly-prescribed-sex-change-treatments-2022a1001amy?uac=374618CR&faf=1&sso=true&impID=4261095&src=mkm_ret_220520_mscpmrk_dailyuk_int

DiamondLily Fri 20-May-22 14:10:19

Yes, I think it's this private GP, with his online site:

"A retired consultant physician wrongly prescribed sex-change treatments to seven transgender patients - one who was aged just nine and another a teenager who took their own life few months later.

Dr Michael Webberley provided puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones via GenderGP, an online gender clinic which he ran with his GP wife Dr Helen Webberley.

A Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS) panel found a number of charges proved against him after he was accused of failing to provide good clinical care to seven patients between February 2017 and June 2019."

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10833739/Doctor-wrongly-prescribed-sex-change-treatments-seven-transgender-patients.html

Mollygo Sat 21-May-22 00:06:22

I’ve just read this -it’s quite long, but it explains quite a lot about puberty blockers and their effects.
drdylanwilson.substack.com/p/an-open-letter-to-australias-doctors?fbclid=IwAR3OhtMTzKXBfg43bdhb_grpO89-xg28z1cl0Ze5bTINN6XzhXFmg9eKOQ8&s=r

Elegran Sat 21-May-22 10:00:06

Should be required reading for anyone whose child wants this treatment.

Rosie51 Sat 21-May-22 10:25:32

Mollygo thanks for that link. What a brilliantly clear analysis of the subject. I agree with Elegran it should be required reading for anyone whose child wants the treatment. I'd go further and say all clinicians should have to read, and attest to the fact they've read it, before they administer any chemical procedure on a child.