Gransnet forums

News & politics

Roe v Wade

(502 Posts)
Millbrook Tue 03-May-22 08:12:15

The USA’s Supreme Court have approved a (draft) judgement to overturn Roe v Wade decision. If this is passed, abortion (no matter what the circumstances) immediately becomes illegal in at least 22 states.

They don’t hate abortion. They hate women. Misogyny is at the heart of every right wing movement. Trump’s Republicans and Johnson’s Tories.

I am so glad I am old because this world is becoming unbearable to live in.

Grandmabatty Tue 03-May-22 09:06:41

Trump's legacy in the form of the supreme court will continue to destroy democracy and the lives of women. It's appalling. Johnson and his sexist, racist cabal are no better. My only hope is that the world always swings from left to right and back again. Let's hope that sense will prevail.

Oldwoman70 Tue 03-May-22 09:08:28

I wouldn't have had an abortion myself but that is my choice. Banning abortion would be another nail in the coffin of women's rights and lead to the return of "back street abortionists" putting the lives of women at risk.

By the way, I voted Conservative so lumping "Johnson's Tories" in with those who want to ban abortion is an unfair generalisation

volver Tue 03-May-22 09:09:56

When I was younger, there were 2 things that I though would spur me to civil disobedience. One was the reintroduction of the death penalty, and the other was removal of abortion rights.

I hope that the Supreme Court of the USA sees sense, but I think this is going to happen.

DaisyAnne Tue 03-May-22 09:22:15

I shouldn't be shocked because we knew it was coming, but I am.

Trump is like the Russians. He left the ground mined when he went. I know American culture is very different from ours but God help them while he and his storm troupers continue to affect politics.

Grandmabatty In Trump's case - as in Johnson's - that would be "from Right to Left and back again" - although, personally, I would not wish for extremists of any type running our country or anyone else's.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 03-May-22 09:24:48

From 2016 it seems to me that the USA have been heading on a downward spiral to despair. Yes, the extreme right wing of the Republican Party seem to despise women. I keep seeing parallels with Margaret Attwood’s Handmaid’s Tale. Didn’t women try escape to Canada? Another thing which is happening in USA is the worsening of racism. I know it’s always been bad, but apparently research has shown that in a fairly short time, your average white American will be in the minority. Sorry but I don’t have a link - I think it might have been on CNN. If trump stands in 2024 and wins, that country is doomed.

Urmstongran Tue 03-May-22 09:30:05

Recent polling suggests as many as 70 per cent oppose overturning Roe v Wade. I think it’s a shocking decision and there will be civil unrest over there this summer.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 03-May-22 09:33:59

This is horrifying. The return of the back street abortionist awaits, with all of the risks to women's lives: but hey they're only women, right?

Urmstongran Tue 03-May-22 09:34:01

That said, who believes pollsters any more anyway? As one American friend emailed. - Americans are very evenly divided on abortion, and many have contradictory and muddled views. There's also no real gender gap, despite what many pundits and activists who claim to speak for women will tell you. Leaving the decision up to the individual states - which is all overturning Roe would do - likely won't motivate too many people who aren't already voting Democrat. There isn't a mass of untapped pro-choice votes out there.

She said - Bottom line: this will help Democratic fundraising and enthusiasm, but will change very little on election day.

volver Tue 03-May-22 09:38:53

Oh, so we're not to believe the pollsters but we are expected to believe that the views of some random unnamed friend represent a nation of 300 million people?

Minimising the impact of this is not a good thing.

Farzanah Tue 03-May-22 09:40:51

I think it’s another stick to beat the poor with if it comes about. Rich women can always find a way to terminate a pregnancy if they want.
I agree with volver with regard to the 2 provocations.

DiamondLily Tue 03-May-22 09:41:26

It'll surely end up as Ireland did, when the abortions were banned over there.

Women either using backstreet abortionists or travelling elsewhere to have the termination.

My ex SIL lived in Cork some years ago - three times she travelled over to England, on the pretext of seeing her family, and just paid for private terminations over here.

Women should always have the choice whether to carry a foetus to full term, or not.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 03-May-22 09:41:52

What a very sad situation. I believe I would only have had an abortion in very limited circumstances (rape or seriously abnormal foetus with limited life chances) but it's every woman's right to do what is right for her as far as her own body is concerned. To force women into the hands of back street abortionists once again is a shocking step backwards. The land of the free and the home of the brave? I don't think so.

Urmstongran Tue 03-May-22 09:42:07

I never claim to be consistent in my postings volver ?

And, just to muddy the waters further, let’s not forget the US has the death penalty in which the state gives itself the right to take life.

Urmstongran Tue 03-May-22 09:45:05

Poor people will suffer the most in this. They don’t have the wherewithal to afford travel to different states so their choices are limited by their bank balances. Not so for the well off. It was ever thus and the world turns.

Blondiescot Tue 03-May-22 09:46:04

This would be an incredibly backward step. As other posters have rightly pointed out, if a woman is desperate enough, she will find a way to end her pregnancy - so surely it is far better that she has a safe and legal way to do so. The world is becoming a very scary place these days - especially for women.

Urmstongran Tue 03-May-22 09:48:18

Mind you funny how the left are all up in arms about this but when it comes to trans women (basically biological men) trampling all over women’s sports and their rights, the left are all for that. Pick a side why don’t you.

DaisyAnne Tue 03-May-22 09:53:52

But you support Trump Urmstongran. You have suggested he is a role-model for your much loved Johnson in the past.

Urmstongran Tue 03-May-22 10:05:25

Boris was only ‘much loved’ as you say because he was the only politician offering to see Brexit through. Stop bashing me and my beliefs DaisyAnne.

Zonne Tue 03-May-22 10:06:41

Urmstongran

Mind you funny how the left are all up in arms about this but when it comes to trans women (basically biological men) trampling all over women’s sports and their rights, the left are all for that. Pick a side why don’t you.

Pure whataboutery, and thus pointless and irrelevant.

DaisyAnne Tue 03-May-22 10:18:17

Urmstongran

Who are "the left" on these boards Urmstongran. Extremists can never represent anyone else or anything other than their extreme views and themselves.

The centrists are from the right, liberal and left. They always have one thing in common; they are democrats. They expect to represent all voices.

Anyone who does not hold the extreme right-wing, anti-democratic views voiced here and elsewhere will appear to be "the left". They are just centrists, however, who want democracy to rule, not dictators.

Obviously any extreme left-wingers will see the same group of democrats as just the opposite and call them "the right", which probably tells us all we need to know.

Urmstongran Tue 03-May-22 10:23:15

Funny how on any political hot potato my name gets mentioned so frequently!
?

volver Tue 03-May-22 10:36:56

I learnt a new term this weekend. "Brigading". It means that a group of posters try to deflect from the topic of the conversation on social media by feigning an interest in something but turning the conversation to be all about the thing they want to talk about. I suppose the smallest size of a brigade is one person.

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread - abortion rights under attack from the right-of-centre Supreme Court of the US.

DaisyAnne Tue 03-May-22 10:38:59

Urmstongran you have already posted 7 times on this thread - mostly off-topic. If that is not a plea for a reply, I don't know what is.

But more important than the overturning than Roe v Wade - Nope. I will leave you to waffle and get back on topic myself. Sorry folks.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-May-22 10:39:24

USA is going back into history.

The Handmaids Tale writ large. Women will no longer have control over their own bodies.