Gransnet forums

News & politics

The loss of freedom of speech, of sidelining women and biology

(874 Posts)
DiamondLily Thu 12-May-22 12:47:27

I've been asked to repost this:

'Julie Bindel had a pretty horrendous time whilst delivering a (previously postponed) lecture to York University's Free Speech Society.

The activists, who say we must be "all be kind" didn't display much courtesy or kindness to her.?

She was abused, accused, screamed at, and had placards thrust in her face. The TW mob were out in force, and she was "invited" to kiss their "man-boobs" and told things she could do with their "trans d*cks".

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10806353/JULIE-BINDEL-explains-female-students-bullied-hearing-feminists.html

Meanwhile, in the Court case involving Alison Bailey, Stonewall tell us that there are no such things as male and female bodies. They don't exist...?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10807211/We-not-inherently-male-female-Stonewall-campaigner-says-bodies-just-bodies.html

It sure is a funny old world out there in Trans La-La land.

Ilovecheese Tue 17-May-22 11:40:13

Exactly FarNorth I wish some prominent left wingers would be on the side of women, or at least more neutral people like Robert Winston.
The only left winger I can think of off hand is Rosie Duffield, who received no support at all from her own party.
(this is just a bit of a bugbear of my own though, I don't want to set the thread off at a tangent)

Elegran Tue 17-May-22 11:49:25

"liberal and left wing thinkers" are in the same position as was anyone in the Third Reich who stated views which differed from the official line, or anyone whose philosophy differed from that of Chairman Mao. They were silenced by fear of the repercussions for their reputation, employment and career, their safety and that of their children from physical and psychological abuse. They were gaslighted into believing that they must be wrong to cling to their convictions - and if they persisted, they found themselves in the Gulags, or in the virtual Gulags of disapproval and isolation.

FarNorth Tue 17-May-22 11:58:35

It really seems to be as bad as that Elegran.

FarNorth Tue 17-May-22 12:06:14

James Esses, in the video I posted earlier in this thread, explains that his intended career as a therapist is probably impossible for him now that he has been expelled from his course because of his concerns about 'trans' children.
Other trainee therapists will know that they must toe the line.
They will continue to do so as they affirm trans identity in their work.

Elegran Tue 17-May-22 12:32:23

Sorry to invoke the spectres of the Third Reich and Chairman Mao, but when people are not allowed to express genuine and unphobic concerns about the way that "diversity" now means that it is not permitted to have and state an opinion which diverges from that of an organisation devoted to "Diversity Champions" then we are in a spiral that threatens to end up as a whirlpool swallowing diversity of thought .

Mollygo Tue 17-May-22 13:55:40

Elegran, re your post at 11:49, I do wonder if that’s what’s going on in Russia at the moment. The Russian people as a whole really can’t believe nowhere in Russia is being attacked by missiles and armies than Ukraine is not making war against them.
Putin’s way of silencing them is very much like some of the things going on today where a minority insist that the lie they tell is the truth is true and anyone who disagrees is phobic and liable to attack.

Elegran Tue 17-May-22 14:10:21

One of the ways of uniting people is to make them all fear a common enemy.

Doodledog Tue 17-May-22 14:23:37

And both Putin and many TRAs (and their supporters on threads like these) accuse 'dissenters' of being Nazis. As I say, it's like listening to people parroting from a crib sheet.

The broad left really needs to get its act together, and separate out actual discrimination against transpeople from resistance to TRA propaganda, and spell this out in their manifesto. It's one thing to resist transphobia and quite another to be caught up in the TWAW fascism that is threatening the position of women in large parts of the West.

I'm seeing more of the 'women's spaces soon lead to segregation for women' argument, too, which is clearly from the same stable. Of course they don't. We've managed for years to have separate facilities for when people are in states of undress or vulnerability. They haven't led to segregation at all - just separate loos in mixed venues, or sensible positioning of changing rooms (ladies' in womenswear, and gents in menswear), and women-only refuges and prisons.

DiamondLily Tue 17-May-22 14:44:23

And now tablets are being sold on EBay, for 60p each, to teenagers, to "assist transitioning",

Some claim to increase muscle mass, some to enhance breast size.

As with any drug sold on the net, there is no regulation over what they are. ?

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-10744175/60p-sex-change-pills-sold-online.html

Elegran Tue 17-May-22 14:45:44

Separate sports categories in sports where women are massively disadvantaged when competing against larger, stronger men doesn't lead to segregation for women either - but not having them leads to women giving up participating in their sport completely as "the game isn't worth the candle". How can this contribute to "diversity" ?

Elegran Tue 17-May-22 14:48:47

DL They are probably the same pills, some in pink packaging, some in blue.

The snake oil sellers will be cheering Stonewall and other trans activists..

Doodledog Tue 17-May-22 14:49:45

It doesn't - it contributes to male domination, which is what all of this is about, unfortunately.

DiamondLily Tue 17-May-22 15:11:42

Worrying that gullible teenagers can buy these things though.

They could be harming themselves permanently.?

Mollygo Tue 17-May-22 15:32:19

Thank you for the Times link FN. I’ve forwarded it to the parents who are concerned about what’s going on at my GD school.

DiamondLily Wed 18-May-22 07:37:28

Milli Hill has written an article for the DM, about midwifery lecturers teaching students that men can give birth: ?

Not on Planet Earth, as far as I know....?

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10826897/Trans-debate-midwives-taught-men-birth-despair-MILLI-HILL-says.html

Rosie51 Wed 18-May-22 07:47:48

Following on from the bullied schoolgirl......... Owen Jones of the Guardian has tweeted that why isn't the school and the girl named to 'verify' this "story" (his quotation marks) and he's invited any of the 60 who spat and bullied to message him with their side of the story. He may be a misogynist but he's not stupid, he knows things will be even worse for the girl if she's publicly identified. He is a vile bully himself, the ideology is everything to him, except he knows what a woman is when it comes to wanting to co-parent a child.

DiamondLily Wed 18-May-22 08:44:30

Yes, I used to like Owen Jones, as he did campaign for stuff around government policies and increasing poverty etc.

But, this subject has bought out the worst in him, and he should be ashamed of himself.?

I'm not surprised at the Guardian though - they are very much on the side of rewriting biology.?

That young lady is only 18, she was speaking an absolute truth, and she's been abused and spat at.

What an indictment of that private school/college and its discipline - her parents wasted their money.

FarNorth Wed 18-May-22 09:02:38

OJ, not actually in the Guardian but on his Twitter, invited the 'other side' to contact him anonymously.
I can't see anything going wrong with that, can you?

FarNorth Wed 18-May-22 09:17:16

That article by Milli Hill is terrifying.
That professional people dealing with the most basic human biology are vociferously joining in with biology denial in their work is absolutely horrific.

DiamondLily Wed 18-May-22 09:50:03

FarNorth

OJ, not actually in the Guardian but on his Twitter, invited the 'other side' to contact him anonymously.
I can't see anything going wrong with that, can you?

He asked the other pupils and the teachers to contact him, to find out who she was.

There was an article earlier, because it was a headline TV programme, late last night, and two panellists were discussing it, but it seems to have been dropped for one about homophobia now.

However, it appears most of his tweets about this, have been deleted, by him, I assume. Perhaps he didn't like some of the replies.

I would imagine that he will find out who she is from other pupils, publicise it, and then the girl will be subject to more abuse.

So, yes, I can see a problem with it.

FarNorth Wed 18-May-22 09:59:36

I was being sarcastic but maybe not obvious enough.

FarNorth Wed 18-May-22 10:02:14

Would it be legal for him to publicise the girl's name? I doubt it.
It would be horrendous bullying behaviour from him to do that.

DiamondLily Wed 18-May-22 10:05:01

Apologies for thinking you were serious. ?

I'm not sure how naming her would stand - she is 18, so not a minor.

Hope he doesn't though.

Doodledog Wed 18-May-22 10:29:20

I used to like OJ too. Now I only check the Guardian for headlines, and have cancelled my online subscription.

FarNorth Thu 19-May-22 13:49:58

Recent men's champion! So depressing.

"Transgender surfer Sasha Jane Lowerson has claimed a historic victory in WA, having been crowned men’s champion three years earlier."

www.news.com.au/sport/more-sports/transgender-surfer-sasha-jane-lowerson-claims-historic-victory-in-wa-longboard-championships/news-story/305dd76b3e65344d2cb8bdce45fb3824