Gransnet forums

News & politics

The loss of freedom of speech, of sidelining women and biology

(874 Posts)
DiamondLily Thu 12-May-22 12:47:27

I've been asked to repost this:

'Julie Bindel had a pretty horrendous time whilst delivering a (previously postponed) lecture to York University's Free Speech Society.

The activists, who say we must be "all be kind" didn't display much courtesy or kindness to her.?

She was abused, accused, screamed at, and had placards thrust in her face. The TW mob were out in force, and she was "invited" to kiss their "man-boobs" and told things she could do with their "trans d*cks".

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10806353/JULIE-BINDEL-explains-female-students-bullied-hearing-feminists.html

Meanwhile, in the Court case involving Alison Bailey, Stonewall tell us that there are no such things as male and female bodies. They don't exist...?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10807211/We-not-inherently-male-female-Stonewall-campaigner-says-bodies-just-bodies.html

It sure is a funny old world out there in Trans La-La land.

Elegran Thu 19-May-22 14:18:46

From my nursery rhyme book, eighty years ago -

"Pudding and pie",
said Jane. "Oh my!"
"Which would you rather?"
asked her father.
"Both!", said Jane,
Quite bold and plain.

Mollygo Thu 19-May-22 14:25:56

If they want to win by cheating-that’s for their conscience to deal with, if they have one. They obviously have no consideration for the AHF they aspire to be. They’ll get a lot of praise from others who don’t see cheating to win as a problem either.

DiamondLily Thu 19-May-22 17:49:27

FarNorth

Recent men's champion! So depressing.

"Transgender surfer Sasha Jane Lowerson has claimed a historic victory in WA, having been crowned men’s champion three years earlier."

www.news.com.au/sport/more-sports/transgender-surfer-sasha-jane-lowerson-claims-historic-victory-in-wa-longboard-championships/news-story/305dd76b3e65344d2cb8bdce45fb3824

I wonder if they get any satisfaction from winning, even though they know they won through cheating.?

DiamondLily Thu 19-May-22 18:17:44

A private GP prescribing trans drugs to a 9 year old:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10833739/Doctor-wrongly-prescribed-sex-change-treatments-seven-transgender-patients.html?

Doodledog Thu 19-May-22 18:27:25

I wonder if they get any satisfaction from winning, even though they know they won through cheating.?

I suspect that the prize money might compensate for any giggles of conscience they might have.

DiamondLily Sat 21-May-22 08:06:15

And just for some light relief, Durham's town mayoral teddy bear has "announced" that s/he is now non binary....?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10838227/Darlington-mayors-teddy-bear-sparks-gender-row-cuddly-toy-announces-non-binary.html

Allsorts Sat 21-May-22 08:10:33

Non binary, when will this madness end. It’s like the Kings New Clothes. If it wasn’t so serious it would be funny yet these people believe what they say.

DiamondLily Sat 21-May-22 08:30:40

The teacher, of the girl bullied out of school, has written an article about it for the DM:

"An 18-year-old pupil who dared to question the ideology was surrounded and shouted at by a group of fellow sixth formers in an incident that forced her to leave the school.

Her crime? To suggest to a visiting baroness from the House of Lords that transgender-sceptical views, such as the belief that biological sex is real, deserve balanced debate.

It was probably naïve of the girl not to realise that to disagree, however respectfully, with transgender ideology is not allowed in much of our education system today. To question its basic tenets is heresy and heretics need to be exposed, attacked and got rid of. Even if they are such notable figures as J.K.Rowling. These tenets sometimes include the trans language that women are 'uterus havers', 'people with vaginas', or 'chest-feeders'. And the concept that the birth sex of male and female is a myth.

After daring to challenge the baroness, who had joined a sixth form transgender rights' discussion, up to 60 other pupils gathered round the girl and verbally attacked her.

They screamed abuse so loudly that she ran away from them to escape, before collapsing unable to breathe properly with the shock of it all. By the next day, tales about the incident spread down to lower years. I was told by one of my younger pupils during an individual lesson that a sixth form girl had been saying horrible transphobic things."

Poor girl, and shame on the college for not taking action against the attackers. ?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10838801/The-sixth-form-girl-bullied-school-saying-biological-sex-real.html

Mollygo Sat 21-May-22 08:36:20

I really feel for her, but that article, shows what can happen if schools go with the ‘only trans are allowed a voice’. That girl was not allowed into the classroom if she said anything provocative- but was there any such rule for the groups who were equally provocative towards her?

FarNorth Sat 21-May-22 09:06:57

Another sportswoman speaking up and taking action.

MerylStreep Sat 21-May-22 09:14:06

This is nothing to do with Trans issues but everything to do with free speech.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10838787/The-cancelled-arts-lecturer-dared-use-phrase-dreaded-Meghan-Zoom-tutorial.html

Elegran Sat 21-May-22 09:28:29

There is a reliance on women in sex-categorised sports being too "nice" to speak up at the time and make a fuss, and on women "not being a sport" unless they bite their tongue on the fact that the "ref's decision" is not, as has always been drummed into them, a fair and considered one.

Not just the "ref" but also the team selectors and those who formulate the rules of the sport have been suborned by Stonewall and other organisations into promoting the ambitions of men over those of women

Under the law, they can exclude all but women (in the original meaning of that much-abused word) from competing together - but too many of them don't use this power.

Aveline Sat 21-May-22 09:50:39

If I was still involved in competitive sport and a man turned up competing as a woman I would refuse to compete.
I wish other sportswomen would do the same. It's a mad world these days.

Rosie51 Sat 21-May-22 10:04:40

It's the utter vindictiveness of these cases that is so apparent. Soon people will be confined to "name, rank and serial number" only to avoid the vaguest possibility of giving offence and being cancelled.

Rosie51 Sat 21-May-22 10:05:16

That reply was to MerylStreep

FarNorth Sat 21-May-22 10:06:10

As Taylor Silverman makes clear, the opportunity to win money can be an important factor, meaning women won't want to withdraw altogether.

Rosie51 Sat 21-May-22 10:07:50

And of course sporting scholarships in the USA for example, rely on participation. Those females can't afford to exercise their right to fair treatment.

DiamondLily Sat 21-May-22 10:12:28

I wonder what happened to the TW and "woke" mantra of always being kind?

None of it sounds very kind, so it seems kindness is only granted if a person blindly agrees to everything they say - even when it's arrant nonsense.?

It doesn't matter how many tantrums Trans and supporters have - there are still only two biological sexes. And they are different.

Biological men cannot menstruate or give birth.

Biological women do not have a "natural" penis.

And the la-la land of theories, that suggests this no longer is the case, cannot overrule Mother Nature.?

Elegran Sat 21-May-22 10:41:18

The result in sport of saying that adult human males are adult human females and can compete in sex-categorised events is a foregone conclusion - there will be no point in real women attempting to take part competitively at all in some kinds of sport. That has been very clearly shown recently. That makes those sports inclusive for mediocre men, but exclusive for women. So they will stay away, or stick to being the cheerleaders doing line dancing in short skirts.

Aveline Sat 21-May-22 11:51:34

If all sportswomen boycotted events that allowed male participants that would stop those events going ahead altogether and force a major rethink by organisers.

SueDonim Sat 21-May-22 12:06:08

Talk about having your cake and eating it. A peer who is a transwoman is still being allowed to keep their title which goes down through the male line. ?

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/20/first-trans-peer-step-closer-hereditary-candidate-claims-seat/

Rosie51 Sat 21-May-22 12:57:51

But, but, but she's an actual woman now, a member of the female sex, it says so on her certificate............ They know he's really still male sex, a man, and couldn't show they know the truth more clearly!

FarNorth Sat 21-May-22 13:09:20

That was always the case, legally, because we can't have any male being disadvantaged by this rubbish, can we?
But women? Shove up and be kind.
angryangryangry

FarNorth Sat 21-May-22 13:15:01

I can't see the article because of a paywall but took this quote from Mumsnet -

""...And in what the source close to the process described as an “irony”, she [Matilda Simon] has a sister born two years earlier.

“If the title had been inheritable by a woman, it would have gone to Margaret, the older sister, rather than the younger sister,” he said...""

Even more angryangryangry

Doodledog Sat 21-May-22 16:09:35

Men can’t ‘know’ they are a woman unless they buy in to a narrow definition of what that means - and as a biological woman I don’t know the answer to that, as generations of feminists fought to blur gender boundaries. The same applies to women ’knowing’ they are men, of course.

It’s bad enough now, but when the misogynists get their way and the definition of womanhood is whatever they have decided it is, our granddaughters will be living more restricted lives than out grandmothers. It will be as though we hadn’t bothered and the past 120 years of fighting were for nothing.