Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rachel Maclean MP joins a long line ...

(27 Posts)
OakDryad Mon 16-May-22 11:49:27

Rachel Maclean MP - Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Minister for Safeguarding) on Sky saying people need to protect themselves from the cost of living crisis by taking on more hours or moving to a better paid job … that’s why the Job Centres exist …

news.sky.com/story/minister-says-people-should-work-more-hours-or-move-to-a-better-job-to-protect-themselves-from-cost-of-living-surge-12614360

Is there a weekly competition in the HoC bar to see who can utter the most crass, most patronising statement?

BlueBelle Mon 16-May-22 11:56:54

It’s because it doesn’t affect any of them at all so they have no flipping (my head didn’t say flipping) idea

luluaugust Mon 16-May-22 12:02:45

Quite!

Witzend Mon 16-May-22 12:02:56

Yes, it’s just so frightfully easy, isn’t it? Just as well the Undeserving Poor have people like her to give them the benefit of their wisdom.

HousePlantQueen Mon 16-May-22 12:03:28

Coming from someone who, like all members, can claim up to £25 per day for food (goes a long way in a subsidised restaurant), it is stunningly stupid.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 16-May-22 12:05:03

Aaargh! Where do these unthinking people come from?

Petera Mon 16-May-22 12:05:28

HousePlantQueen

Coming from someone who, like all members, can claim up to £25 per day for food (goes a long way in a subsidised restaurant), it is stunningly stupid.

Surely we can reduce this to a claim of 30p for each meal?

Ailidh Mon 16-May-22 12:05:37

Twenty years ago I was invited to a small soiree to meet a prospective Tory candidate.

I asked him about education, primarily that there are some schools designated failures and some designated successes. What would he/his party plan to do for families whose nearest school was a deemed failure.
He said that it was up to the parents to move to a better area.

Same idea as this - i.e. No idea.

Parsley3 Mon 16-May-22 12:31:12

So, the message from the Conservatives is that people only have themselves to blame for any hardship they encounter. Watch out for the next bit of propaganda, folks. People who become ill and need to use the NHS will be called feckless wasters who need to learn how to live more healthily.

BeEmerald Mon 16-May-22 12:31:57

Roll on the revolution people.

HousePlantQueen Mon 16-May-22 12:36:10

Parsley3

So, the message from the Conservatives is that people only have themselves to blame for any hardship they encounter. Watch out for the next bit of propaganda, folks. People who become ill and need to use the NHS will be called feckless wasters who need to learn how to live more healthily.

Yup, and people will not only believe it, they will repeat it. We will have the usual narrative on here about why people who abuse drugs/food/alcohol should be made to pay for their own 'faults' or at least made to wait behind more worthy cases.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 16-May-22 13:30:05

Twitter

Parody Boris

Rachel Maclean has just solved the cost of living crisis - turns out all you need to do is get a better paid job and work more hours. For example, you could become and MP and claim £218,000 in expenses on top of your £80k salary like she did last year.

Grandmabatty Mon 16-May-22 13:34:41

There are no political parties exempt from foot in the mouth syndrome, but goodness me, this recent bunch of Tories take the biscuit! And they probably would too.

Riverwalk Mon 16-May-22 13:39:50

Learn to cook
Buy value brands
Take on extra work

So kind of these Tory MPs to offer their advice - I hope those who're struggling and never thought of these bright ideas are duly grateful.

Dinahmo Mon 16-May-22 14:13:48

I think that we all ought to be able to see the MPs expense claims in detail - or can we already?

OakDryad Mon 16-May-22 14:33:06

Yes, you can DinahMo.

Rachel Maclean's:

www.theipsa.org.uk/mp-staffing-business-costs/your-mp/rachel-maclean/4668

You'll see year-by-year itemised by category.

Go to download all claim data and you can get a spreadsheet itemising everything. Then you can use your spreadsheet tools to sort the data however you wish to view it.

Callistemon21 Mon 16-May-22 14:46:19

Petera

HousePlantQueen

Surely we can reduce this to a claim of 30p for each meal?

I really think we should - after all we, if we are taxpayers, are funding this!!

AGAA4 Mon 16-May-22 14:48:02

Crikey! Patronising or what?

AGAA4 Mon 16-May-22 14:51:14

I meant Rachel MacLean not you Callistemon

sodapop Mon 16-May-22 14:53:13

Witzend

Yes, it’s just so frightfully easy, isn’t it? Just as well the Undeserving Poor have people like her to give them the benefit of their wisdom.

smile we really need this sort of advice Witzend

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 16-May-22 14:55:09

Unbelievable! A major problem is that Johnson got rid of any half way decent Ministers, who were generally Remain supporters. He is thus surrounded by a bunch of borderline incompetents who are anti-Europe and hang on to his every utterance like bats in a cave.

Callistemon21 Mon 16-May-22 14:58:20

AGAA4

I meant Rachel MacLean not you Callistemon

?

Thank goodness!

Callistemon21 Mon 16-May-22 14:59:34

A major problem is that Johnson got rid of any half way decent Ministers, who were generally Remain supporters
Yes, there are in fact some decent Tories but they have been banished to the wilderness.

Dinahmo Mon 16-May-22 16:36:22

Thank you Oakdryad She must either employ several assistants or else her staff are extremely highly paid. I thought that they used a lot of unpaid staff. The daughter of friends, after leaving uni spent a year working for nothing in the HOC, supported by her parents. She was very attractive and we all thought that she'd be bound to get a paying job but she didn't.

It was nearly 20 years ago so perhaps things have changed.

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 16-May-22 16:43:29

Gosh, I've never thought of that, Ms McLean. I'll tell my foodbank clients next week. I am sure that they'll be grateful for your advice.....