Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rape and sexual assault

(57 Posts)
Esspee Wed 18-May-22 07:01:52

The Tories now have an MP who has been arrested on suspicion of rape and sexual assault.

What depths of depravity does our current government have to sink to before they lose the support of every decent respectable person in this country?

It makes you ashamed to be British.

volver Wed 18-May-22 09:33:06

But even if they are "deselected" immediately that doesn't mean they stop being MP straight away, I think? A party can "disown" an MP but they stay an MP. Isn't there some rule about putting the vote to the electorate again if they get a sentence over a certain length of time?

henetha Wed 18-May-22 09:33:54

I'm not ashamed to be British. Let's keep it in proportion.
I very much dislike the alleged behaviour of this MP, of course, and hope he gets what he deserves.

OakDryad Wed 18-May-22 09:35:04

Payment of a fine for breach of Covid restrictions is an admission that a crime was committed. Failure to pay the fine could result in a criminal prosecution. An appeal against a fine would be heard in a criminal court.

Ignore social media speculation about this arrest. One the names being banded about is someone who took part in a HoC debate yesterday (Tuesday). I'm struggling to understand how someone who was arrested on Monday and according to news reports this Wednesday morning (Sky News etc al) remains in custody, managed to do that.

GrannyLaine Wed 18-May-22 09:36:37

Esspee
Would you feel 'ashamed to be British' if the suspicion of rape was directed at a factory worker? refuse collector? shopkeeper?
Rape is a vile crime regardless of status of employment or otherwise.

As others have pointed out, the key word is suspicion

OakDryad Wed 18-May-22 09:38:55

Up to the whips. If an MP loses the whip he or she is effectively expelled from the party but can continue to sit as an independent MP.

timetogo2016 Wed 18-May-22 09:41:04

Maudi ,you are spot on,innocent until proven guilty.

AGAA4 Wed 18-May-22 09:48:18

I do feel it's wrong that this has been all over the media before this man has been fully investigated by the police.

eazybee Wed 18-May-22 10:13:29

The man concerned has been bailed pending further enquiries.
Most unfair to speculate on his possible identity until he has been charged.

TerriBull Wed 18-May-22 10:42:54

I think unfortunately a malaise and lack of morals can often be attributed to some in public life regardless of their political persuasion. I often wonder how these people get elected given they're often tainted in the first place.

Should we feel ashamed as a nation? that doesn't make any sense to me! Do you imagine the French feel ashamed because Sarkozy was found guilty of corruption, or of sexual predator and rapist Strauss Khan not to mention Christine La Gard and her non payment of tax. Such people rise to the top everywhere to preside over us and tell us how to behave when often they don't do so themselves. In a democracy we can at least get rid of them, no chance if you live in somewhere like Russia, talking of shame does it get any worse than what they are inflicting on the Ukrainians?

OakDryad Wed 18-May-22 10:44:25

One of the things that bothers me about this is that while the case continues, this MP has been asked to stay away from the Parliamentary Estate. That leaves his constituents without proper representation, for example, he cannot raise matters publicly in the House of Commons or meet with Ministers within the Parliamentary Estate to raise private concerns of his constituents.

www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/members/what/

We need some mechanism to deal with this situation.

TerriBull Wed 18-May-22 10:47:45

correction "alleged" rapist Strauss Khan. Plenty of them in public life world wide.

HousePlantQueen Wed 18-May-22 10:53:06

I am not going to repeat it on here, but it is being discussed on sm and there are 5 MPs who fit the description, four have been 'alibied' by their appearances in the House. I imagine there will be a rush to be seen at PMQs today so that all non alleged perpetrators of the crimes can clear their names. As an aside, I was pleased to see that Jess Phillips, when interviewed in the lobby, did not make political points, defended her colleagues, while acknowledging that there was still some way to go.

Iam64 Wed 18-May-22 10:53:54

It’s been a two year investigation. The alleged offences are serious. In any other role in public service,he’d be suspended or Putin gardening leave. He shiyjd

Iam64 Wed 18-May-22 10:59:26

Sorry - fat fingers on phone

He should be prevented from working until he’s charged, or the case abandoned.

The prosecution, never mind conviction of alleged rapists is a disgrace. Women are not protected

25Avalon Wed 18-May-22 11:03:54

Innocent or not surely the party whip should be removed so the MP is effectively suspended, just as happens in other workplaces when this kind of allegation is made.

Petera Wed 18-May-22 11:07:00

volver

But even if they are "deselected" immediately that doesn't mean they stop being MP straight away, I think? A party can "disown" an MP but they stay an MP. Isn't there some rule about putting the vote to the electorate again if they get a sentence over a certain length of time?

A sentence of over 12 months in jail automatically triggers a recall ballot. But only after all appeals are exhausted. I believe.

Petera Wed 18-May-22 11:09:27

Iam64

Sorry - fat fingers on phone

He should be prevented from working until he’s charged, or the case abandoned.

The prosecution, never mind conviction of alleged rapists is a disgrace. Women are not protected

Oh I don't know. "Putin gardening leave" has brought some wonderful images to my mind.

maddyone Wed 18-May-22 11:30:44

TerriBull

I think unfortunately a malaise and lack of morals can often be attributed to some in public life regardless of their political persuasion. I often wonder how these people get elected given they're often tainted in the first place.

Should we feel ashamed as a nation? that doesn't make any sense to me! Do you imagine the French feel ashamed because Sarkozy was found guilty of corruption, or of sexual predator and rapist Strauss Khan not to mention Christine La Gard and her non payment of tax. Such people rise to the top everywhere to preside over us and tell us how to behave when often they don't do so themselves. In a democracy we can at least get rid of them, no chance if you live in somewhere like Russia, talking of shame does it get any worse than what they are inflicting on the Ukrainians?

Brilliant post TerriBull.

And don’t forget Berlusconi in Italy.

maddyone Wed 18-May-22 11:32:57

I wish somebody would put Putin on gardening leave.

Iam64 Wed 18-May-22 11:33:53

Yes - Putin on gardening leave confirms predictive text is on the loose.

paddyann54 Wed 18-May-22 11:38:55

Is his one of the names on Teresa May's "lost " list of Tory MP's with sexual offences reported in house but never dealt with properly? Can we look forward to seeing the rest of their large number "found" any time soon?

eazybee Wed 18-May-22 11:44:58

The MP has been investigated for two years concerning alleged offences, and there are further investigations being conducted, which suggests the accusations are difficult to verify.
Alleged victims of sexual crimes have automatic anonymity and the same should apply to the accused until he is charged.
The MP concerned has been asked to stay away from Parliament but is allowed to participate in debates (how ?). The story should not have been broken until/unless he is formally charged precisely because other men are cast under suspicion.

OakDryad Wed 18-May-22 11:46:27

TerriBull It doesn't affect this current case which involves historic crimes alleged to have been committed between 2002 and 2009 but last week, leader of the House of Commons, Mark Spencer, said that his party was committed to selecting higher quality candidates at the next general election, claiming the snap contests of 2017 and 2019 had led to mistakes.

"I think we’ll be in a much better place at the next general election, certainly in the [Conservative] party as we will have taken much more time to scrutinise people. There will be a much longer process,” he said.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/17/tory-mp-arrested-on-suspicion-of-and-banned-from-commons-reports?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

We know that a lot of money from the likes of Sheleg and the Cayzer Trust was used in the 2019 election campaign to get Tories into red wall seats. Literally, any body they could find. Which is how we end up with MPs like turncoat Lee Anderson rejected by the Labour party for poor conduct flipped by Cayzer Trust money. He still receives regular large donations from the trust.

Nightsky2 Wed 18-May-22 11:47:49

maddyone

GrannyGravy13

Why would anyone feel ashamed of their country due to a man who happens to be an MP being under investigation for sexual assault and rape?

How will it impact you?

Yes, it’s ridiculous to say you’re ashamed of your country because someone has been accused of rape. Not convicted, accused.

Some decent and respectable people do say the most ridiculous things on Gransnet. Is it decent to condemn someone because of an allegation and that’s all it is…….I don’t think so.

Esspee Wed 18-May-22 13:25:39

It seems to me that hardly a day goes by without another scandal within the Tory party. He may be innocent but the police feel they have enough evidence to prosecute.
Our present government has been brought into disrepute on so many fronts.

According to friends overseas all the accusations of lies, corruption and law breaking in the UK government are covered by their media. When it comes to negotiations the UK has lost the leadership as nobody respects the current Prime Minister and his party.