Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why is Johnson more popular than Starmer?

(331 Posts)
Glorianny Fri 20-May-22 12:02:34

It's a simple question and you could answer it purely on political lines but I think there is more to it than that. I think somehow Johnson appeals to those who like bad boys and the slight amorality which is present in so many lives now, whereas Starmer always comes across as the typical lawyer, and no one trusts a lawyer. Any other ideas?

Grany Fri 20-May-22 14:51:44

I think people don't trust Starmer because he pledged that's promised the 10 pledges in leadship and abandoned them all and worryingly too the Green New Deal. He promised unity.

He doesn't say enough what labour would do in office
People say they don't know what he stands for.

He is Establishment no big changes from him

I guess people know where they stand with Johnson comes across as likeable though like Starmer he is a liar, but still like him.

But surely the lies the Party gate and cronyism people should change their Indus about him.

I wouldn't know who to vote for never Tory

Grany Fri 20-May-22 14:52:35

Changed their minds

Casdon Fri 20-May-22 14:58:55

Glorianny

Casdon

33% popularity for Starmer, he’s top of the popularity poll, 28% for Boris, in 8th position. They are completely different people, I think some still relate to Boris for his ‘image’ as the beer swilling man next door. Starmer is serious and intense in comparison. It’s like comparing Katie Price with Joan Bakewell (actually that’s one of my better analogies!).

But they are the two most important figures in the country so surely some discussion is warranted. Katie Price is not going to be asked to host Newsnight (and actually I doubt if Joan Bakewell would be now) they are certainly not going to be up for the same job.

It was just an illustration of the appeal of different people to different groups Glorianny. People to whom Katie Price appeals are unlikely to be drawn to Joan Bakewell - it’s the same with Johnson and Starmer. Starmer is by no means dull, but he’s serious, and he doesn’t mix up his public and private lives, so he lacks the gossip factor. Boris is ‘a character’ love him or loathe him, is by no means serious, and he does mix up his public and private lives. Regardless of peoples personal political beliefs, it’s comparing chalk and cheese to compare them. That’s why I think it would be more relevant to find out why in the face of all the evidence about him, Tory voters still prefer Boris to any other Tory politician. I find it impossible to believe that they are all so fluffy headed that they vote on his ‘character’ - so why don’t they want somebody else who can do a capable job?

Calendargirl Fri 20-May-22 15:57:51

If you read the book ‘Diary Of An MP’s Wife’ by Sasha Swire, (admittedly the wife of a Tory MP, so obviously biased), she tells of a dinner party hosted by Boris.

She said Boris was absolutely the best person to be seated next to at dinner, humorous, flirtatious, witty, charming.

He sounded such fun, which Keir Starmer doesn’t look to be.

OK, probably being fun isn’t the best attribute to be our PM, but he’s got charisma, which Keir hasn’t.

Maybe that’s the difference.

Blossoming Fri 20-May-22 16:05:01

I couldn’t abide Johnson when he was a journalist. My opinion hasn’t changed.

MayBee70 Fri 20-May-22 16:13:57

Gillycats

Starmer is weak. All he does is moan about the Tories. I’m a paid up union member and I’d voted for Lisa Nandy, she should be handed the reins.It’s like currently he’s banging on about the Windfall Tax. So, fine, that’ll cover this year. But time and time again in interviews he’s asked what he would do in the following years. But he won’t answer! He’s still not solved the antisemitism problem in the party. Where are Labour’s policies? They sometimes talk about what they would do but don’t back it up with how they would do it. There’s no way I’ll be voting for this sorry shower. They are a shadow of the Labour we used to know and trust.

So who are you going to vote for? Because a vote for any other party if it isn’t tactical will just result in another Conservative government. Is that really what you want? If you’re in the Labour Party you can help shape it. That is what I plan to do. I think there’s an amazing shadow cabinet at the moment. Starmer isn’t PM. All he can do is remark on current issues.

Casdon Fri 20-May-22 16:53:34

Calendargirl

If you read the book ‘Diary Of An MP’s Wife’ by Sasha Swire, (admittedly the wife of a Tory MP, so obviously biased), she tells of a dinner party hosted by Boris.

She said Boris was absolutely the best person to be seated next to at dinner, humorous, flirtatious, witty, charming.

He sounded such fun, which Keir Starmer doesn’t look to be.

OK, probably being fun isn’t the best attribute to be our PM, but he’s got charisma, which Keir hasn’t.

Maybe that’s the difference.

I expect Hitler and Putin had/have charisma, it’s not an admirable quality in itself, is it? I don’t care if our PM is fun, I want him or her to be a capable, principled and credible politician.

Galaxy Fri 20-May-22 16:59:46

Yes I got over being impressed by men like that in my twenties. No personal relationship with Johnson could be considered fun.

Urmstongran Fri 20-May-22 17:40:21

We got a half-baked Brexit only because Farage basically pushed them into it. It was done with no conviction and botched.

Now they spend most of the time blundering around like some bad New Labour tribute act. The only thing that keeps them above water is the alternative (actual Labour) is even worse.

I’m not sure about Boris’ popularity going forward. He’s done some good things but on the whole he’s squandered that 80 seat majority.

Doodledog Fri 20-May-22 17:51:42

What are Labour worse at doing, in your opinion, Urm?

Urmstongran Fri 20-May-22 18:01:33

There'll be no more "Frank Fields", unfortunately!

Urmstongran Fri 20-May-22 18:07:58

Doodledog for me - Labour one thing then does another. When the vast majority of Northern, midlands and a Welsh Labour voted Leave this is just another Labour betrayal of their heartlands.

Well this Labour voter left them after their Brexit stance and I shall stick with Boris for the time being, as Starmer cannot be trusted.

growstuff Fri 20-May-22 18:12:08

Urmstongran Have I misunderstood? Are you seriously suggesting that the Conservatives are like a New Labour tribute act? Brexit could never have worked out like some people thought it would.

growstuff Fri 20-May-22 18:13:30

Urmstongran

Doodledog for me - Labour one thing then does another. When the vast majority of Northern, midlands and a Welsh Labour voted Leave this is just another Labour betrayal of their heartlands.

Well this Labour voter left them after their Brexit stance and I shall stick with Boris for the time being, as Starmer cannot be trusted.

Errm ... that's not quite true. The Northern cities and metropolitan areas overwhelmingly voted to remain in the EU.

maddyone Fri 20-May-22 18:15:17

Just because he went to Eton is no sign of intelligence.

Prince Harry went there so there may be some truth in this. However, in order to get into public schools, children must pass a test which is very similar in standard to the eleven plus. I know this to be true because my husband taught at an independent school for many years.

However, BJ passed this exam so we’ll that he was offered a scholarship. Now to be offered a scholarship at an independent school the child must be intelligent. Scholarships are not offered to children who are not intelligent. Much as people may like to think it, it’s not true. BJ then went on to get a Classics degree at Oxford. Again, students do not get into Oxford on the size of their daddy’s wallet, whatever you may care to think. My son went to Oxford (he didn’t go to Eton or any other major public school) and he got there through his own effort and sheer hard work. He left with a First Class degree in jurisprudence. I don’t know what class degree BJ got, but Classics is a difficult subject, whatever we may prefer to think.

MaizieD Fri 20-May-22 18:17:48

We got a half-baked Brexit only because Farage basically pushed them into it. It was done with no conviction and botched.

Oh dear. Hard luck...

???

growstuff Fri 20-May-22 18:20:41

I guess it depends what you mean by "intelligent". It's all relative. Children can be coached to pass scholarship exams and the 11+. Johnson got a second class degree (not sure if they'd started splitting them by the time he was awarded his). Sorry, but when I was at school, classics was considered to be one of the easiest subjects at Oxford.

growstuff Fri 20-May-22 18:22:40

PS. My partner has degrees from both Oxford and Cambridge (after state school education) and he most certainly came across many students who were there as a result of the size of daddy's wallet.

Sparklefizz Fri 20-May-22 18:30:45

unlike Johnson with his beanie hats and shorts

For goodness' sake, those photos are taken when he's out jogging!! Is he expected to go jogging in a suit and tie???

Doodledog Fri 20-May-22 18:35:00

Sparklefizz

^unlike Johnson with his beanie hats and shorts^

For goodness' sake, those photos are taken when he's out jogging!! Is he expected to go jogging in a suit and tie???

No, but why do you think there are no similar shots of Starmer?

maddyone Fri 20-May-22 18:35:15

He may think he did, but as I watched my son go through the admissions procedures, I know first hand that this is not true, but merely what many people, including some from Oxford, like to believe. It suits their narrative. My son had many friends, some from comprehensive schools, some from independent schools. Only one that I know of from a major public school, but it wasn’t Eton.
I guess the wallet of Prince Charles is pretty thick, but his son William, despite a public school education, wasn’t considered good enough for Oxbridge. His other son, wasn’t good enough at all for university apparently.
It is a popular narrative from many in society to pretend that Oxbridge students only go there because because they’re rich and not particularly intelligent. However I don’t consider either Tony Blair or Margaret Thatcher to be unintelligent and both attended Oxbridge. If people don’t like BJ that’s absolutely fine, but at least don’t try to do down a school or universities because he attended them. At least be honest and not simply join in trying to discredit such institutions because it suits the narrative.

maddyone Fri 20-May-22 18:35:55

Maybe Starmer doesn’t go jogging.

maddyone Fri 20-May-22 18:36:30

We did see David Cameron out jogging regularly too.

MayBee70 Fri 20-May-22 18:44:22

maddyone

Maybe Starmer doesn’t go jogging.

He plays football though I believe. And, unlike Johnson who just pretends to be, he’s a genuine football fan.

MayBee70 Fri 20-May-22 18:45:16

That’s another thing I’d forgotten about Johnson. He supported that football super league that thankfully never happened.