Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Ministerial code is to be watered down

(110 Posts)
TopsyIrene06 Fri 27-May-22 15:29:28

Pippa Crerar reports that the PM has watered down the ministerial code allowing ministers to break the rules without resigning. He has also blocked a bid to give his ethics advisor the power to investigate him. In addition, he also dismissed calls from Lord Geidt who asked for the power to launch an independent investigation of behaviour in the wake of the Downing Street flat row.
Anybody else picked this up?

mokryna Sat 28-May-22 12:04:05

Of course Not mixing Churchill with Johnson

Happygirl79 Sat 28-May-22 12:05:34

MayBee70

Johnson has removed the words ‘integrity, objectivity, accountability,transparency, honesty and leading in the public interest’. Surprise surprise. He’s removed everything that he’s incapable of following. Just about sums it up really.

Spot on

MayBee70 Sat 28-May-22 12:05:38

mokryna

Of course Not mixing Churchill with Johnson

Might as well. Because he does !

DiamondLily Sun 29-May-22 10:00:22

After recess, Labour are going to try and force a Commons vote on this, via an Opposition Day debate.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-ministerial-code-labour-vote-b2089494.html

MayBee70 Sun 29-May-22 10:11:23

Johnson will still get his lemmings to vote against it. That’s why we must all write to our MP’s so when they’re interviewed and say their constituents aren’t bother we know it’s a lie.

winterwhite Sun 29-May-22 11:55:36

Second that Maybee. Or a local tory MP for the lucky ones living in an opposition-held constituency. Doesn't matter if we don't get a reply. Any tory MPs who don't publicly distance themselves from this behaviour are condoning it.

Doodledog Sun 29-May-22 13:05:50

I'm in a Labour constituency, but sadly it's one with a Tory Council. It's not really a lucky situation, as Labour areas are starved of funds by the Tories, and the MP is in opposition, so isn't afraid of losing her seat because of Johnson's behaviour (in fact, she's more likely to hang onto it) but has very little influence on the government at times like this.

MayBee70 Wed 01-Jun-22 19:56:20

Speakers office says the Speaker is impartial so it’s nothing to do with them. Suggests I write to my Tory whip MP. Will be interesting to see what excuse she comes up with this time. We’ve both written to her so I bet we both get exactly the same reply…..

Barmeyoldbat Wed 01-Jun-22 20:28:08

Words just fail me over the whole situation