Gransnet forums

News & politics

Remember when you voted to take back sovereignty?

(66 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-May-22 08:22:34

Well, the very prime minister who promised to take back sovereignty is now ensuring that it is being taken away again, only this time it is being lost to just one person.

The Prime Minister.

Changing rules to suit himself is the actions of a dictator.

We must hope that he will go quietly, as go he must.

mokryna Sat 28-May-22 11:44:39

grany
The changes to the ministerial code are dangerous. Lobby your MP, now. Before it is too late.

Parliament has broken up for a couple of weeks certainly planned so that people cannot complain. All to be forgotten after 2 weeks holiday and the long bank holiday weekend.

25Avalon Sat 28-May-22 11:45:00

A dictator stays for ever. You cannot vote them out. We have a general election in a couple of years when the vote can be turned around, or not, as the case may be but I can’t see Boris remaining as the leader of the Tory party. Incidentally it is rumoured Tony Blair may be looking at starting a new party.

annodomini Sat 28-May-22 11:45:02

I had missed the news of Johnson's latest move, so, when my sister mentioned it, the first word that entered my head was 'dictatorship'. That is the way we are heading unless his own party finally recognises the monster they have spawned. Are his MPs too afraid that if they ditched him they would lose their seats? Or will the electorate come to its senses and send the whole lot packing? Am I right to fear the power of the Tory press?

MaizieD Sat 28-May-22 12:39:07

25Avalon

A dictator stays for ever. You cannot vote them out. We have a general election in a couple of years when the vote can be turned around, or not, as the case may be but I can’t see Boris remaining as the leader of the Tory party. Incidentally it is rumoured Tony Blair may be looking at starting a new party.

What makes you so positive that we're going to have a GE in a couple of years? You know that the Fixed Term Parliament Act has been repealed, don't you? With a compliant majority Johnson is under no obligation to call for a GE, whatever 'the country' may feel about him..

And if we do get a GE, his government has been working hard at restricting the electorate, taking control of supposedly 'independent' bodies such as the Electoral Commission and curtailing the ability of institutions, such as charities to make points which could be construed as political.. So what chance openness in election campaigning? Not to mention very little action has been taken against 'dark ads' on social media..

I have no confidence in the future..

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-May-22 12:49:30

CNN reporting on the Sue Grey report and Johnson. Interestingly they quoted a “very senior Conservative” as saying that the problem is that the voter is now seeing the “real” Johnson and not the Johnson he likes to portray to the world.

nadateturbe Sat 28-May-22 13:01:31

the Fixed Term Parliament Act has been repealed

I didn't know that MaisieD.
Good gracious, could it get much worse!?

We need an effective HoS, definitely.

My MA, is DUP , so fat lot of good that will do. Perhaps email the Alliance guy.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-May-22 13:03:55

Tweet

“It’s not even one rule for us and one rule for them anymore. They’re dismantling their rules.”

Mollygo Sat 28-May-22 13:05:52

Caleo

I blame people who voted for Brexit

I blame also, the people who didn’t bother to vote against Brexit.

Jane43 Sat 28-May-22 13:11:48

Caleo

Why don’t you blame the people who lied through their teeth about the benefits of Brexit rather than the people who believed those lies?

Jane43 Sat 28-May-22 13:13:53

Mollygo

Caleo

I blame also, the people who didn’t bother to vote against Brexit.

I know people who didn’t vote because they just didn't know who or want to believe about such a complex issue so I certainly don’t blame them.

nadateturbe Sat 28-May-22 13:15:04

Just had a quick look at the legislation.

TheDissolution and Calling of Parliament Act 2022repealed the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 (FTPA) and made the maximum term of a Parliament (rather than the period between general elections) five years

nadateturbe Sat 28-May-22 13:15:44

Sorry, that was to MaisieD*

MaizieD Sat 28-May-22 13:16:21

Jane43

Caleo

Why don’t you blame the people who lied through their teeth about the benefits of Brexit rather than the people who believed those lies?

Anyone with a grain of commonsense could see that they were lies. There were enough people pointing out that it was lies. But the Devil has all the best tunes... (and Russian funding)

25Avalon Sat 28-May-22 13:52:54

MaizieD the new act passed in March this year means there has to be a general election before January 2025, so as I said a couple of years away, although Boris could call it sooner but I doubt he will.
Thankyou Nadateturbe for the precise info. MaizieD your apologies are accepted.

flump Sat 28-May-22 14:09:24

Is the problem that the majority of people cannot be bothered to look deeper into what politics is or realise that political decisions affect all aspects of our lives? Mostly they prefer a yes or no, a right or wrong and a black or white answer to any questions that arise. They fail to understand this is not the way to deal with very complicated issues. I'm not sure many are blessed with common sense.

We, therefore, are now in a very unpalatable situation with a right wing "government" that think they have permission to say and do anything their hearts desire without regard for anything but their own aggrandizement. They are (17th C word) 'catchfarts' led by a sociopath.

Greta Sat 28-May-22 14:21:09

I have emailed my conservative MP. She is no fan of Boris Johnson and I understand she doesn't rate his father either. Every time I see the PM I feel sick. Did I hear right that in the last PMQs he referred to Keir Starmer as 'Beer Korma. Never mind the seriousness of our present circumstances he couldn't resist 'being funny'. I will never understand how anybody can still defend this despicable man.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-May-22 14:46:28

The following are the words Johnson has delegated from the ministerial code

Integrity, objectivity, accountability, transparency, and honesty

Jane43 Sat 28-May-22 15:47:21

MaizieD

Jane43

Caleo

Anyone with a grain of commonsense could see that they were lies. There were enough people pointing out that it was lies. But the Devil has all the best tunes... (and Russian funding)

Common sense doesn’t come into it, they were playing on people’s insecurities and prejudices regarding the NHS and immigration in a most cynical way.

Blossoming Sat 28-May-22 16:00:20

Whitewavemark2

Blossoming

I didn’t vote to ‘take back sovereignty’.

There is always an exception, I think that we understand that?

So you’re saying that everyone on Gransnet, except me, voted to ‘take back sovereignty’.

I’m off to Twitter to read some gossip and backbiting.

MaizieD Sat 28-May-22 16:21:14

So what did you vote for, Blossoming?

lixy Sat 28-May-22 17:48:21

Blossoming

I didn’t vote to ‘take back sovereignty’.

If you mean 'take back sovereignty' by voting for Brexit I didn't either, and neither did 49% of the people who voted. But that bridge has been crossed.

I don't understand how the person who promised 'sovereignty' squares that with the amoral treatment of both the Queen and parliament. Really don't know how he can look at himself in the mirror in the morning.

MaizieD Sat 28-May-22 18:04:09

25Avalon

MaizieD the new act passed in March this year means there has to be a general election before January 2025, so as I said a couple of years away, although Boris could call it sooner but I doubt he will.
Thankyou Nadateturbe for the precise info. MaizieD your apologies are accepted.

Apologies given.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Sat 28-May-22 18:20:20

Don't like Boris or Starmer. I have had more than enough of politicians. Unfortunately, I live in Wales. The Welsh government has been captured by Stonewall. All the money they give Stonewall, apparently it is a six figure sum, they could give to hungry children, of which there are very many in Wales

Gossamerbeynon1945 Sat 28-May-22 18:23:08

BTW, I voted Remain.

Grany Sat 28-May-22 19:12:36

You can email the standards commissioner This is important.