Gransnet forums

News & politics

Remember when you voted to take back sovereignty?

(66 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-May-22 08:22:34

Well, the very prime minister who promised to take back sovereignty is now ensuring that it is being taken away again, only this time it is being lost to just one person.

The Prime Minister.

Changing rules to suit himself is the actions of a dictator.

We must hope that he will go quietly, as go he must.

Allsorts Sat 28-May-22 19:23:03

This is so boring. Move on.

MayBee70 Sat 28-May-22 19:29:45

Allsorts

Why? Because you tell us to?? angry Haven’t you got better things to do than comment on posts that bore you? How sad…..

TopsyIrene06 Sat 28-May-22 20:42:31

Thanks Grany Done.

WharfedaleGran Sat 28-May-22 21:53:02

Allsorts

Alternatively, for those for whom this thread is boring, perhaps scroll on?

Which I often do for threads that don’t interest me personally, or where unkindness rears its ugly head… this thread, however, is anything but boring for anyone with an ounce of concern for the direction in which this man and his cronies are dragging our country.

Callistemon21 Sat 28-May-22 22:31:36

Allsorts

Of course you may if you're bored.

?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-May-22 08:16:26

Surely this can’t be correct. But honestly nothing surprises me any more

Dominic Minghella
@DMinghella
Just heard Johnson is moving to change the Conservative Party rulebook, raising the threshold of MPs' letters required to initiate a vote of no confidence in the sitting Prime Minister, from 15% to 100% - i.e. including a letter from the Prime Minister himself.*

Grany Sun 29-May-22 08:20:16

More people should email the standards commissioner Johnson should not be allowed to get away with this

Here

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-May-22 08:34:40

The argument for a written constitution is very strong now. I think.

MaizieD Sun 29-May-22 09:24:07

Whitewavemark2

Surely this can’t be correct. But honestly nothing surprises me any more

Dominic Minghella
@DMinghella
Just heard Johnson is moving to change the Conservative Party rulebook, raising the threshold of MPs' letters required to initiate a vote of no confidence in the sitting Prime Minister, from 15% to 100% - i.e. including a letter from the Prime Minister himself.*

How can changing the tory rule book make any difference? I thought it was a Parliamentary rule?

Don't the tory rules just apply to the tory party leadership, not to PMs?

And surely the tory party leader is not able to change the rules on a whim. Doesn't it require the input of rather more people?

OakDryad Sun 29-May-22 09:56:30

Mingella was joking WWM2 just positing something that a man who is ripping up the rulebook would like to be able to do. Minghella goes on to say:

If, even for a fleeting moment, that sounded like it could be true, it is because Johnson has poured scorn on our standards and norms. He has shredded our unwritten constitution and kicked law-abiding British decency in the face. Until he is gone, nothing and nobody is safe.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-May-22 10:58:00

OakDryad

Mingella was joking WWM2 just positing something that a man who is ripping up the rulebook would like to be able to do. Minghella goes on to say:

^If, even for a fleeting moment, that sounded like it could be true, it is because Johnson has poured scorn on our standards and norms. He has shredded our unwritten constitution and kicked law-abiding British decency in the face. Until he is gone, nothing and nobody is safe.^

I thought it must be, but honestly these days!!

MaizieD Sun 29-May-22 11:02:38

Whitewavemark2

OakDryad

^If, even for a fleeting moment, that sounded like it could be true, it is because Johnson has poured scorn on our standards and norms. He has shredded our unwritten constitution and kicked law-abiding British decency in the face. Until he is gone, nothing and nobody is safe.^

I thought it must be, but honestly these days!!

???

NotSpaghetti Sun 29-May-22 11:07:26

Oak and WWM - This is exactly like Trump. It became impossible to separate his ideas from his reality. If someone had told you he had decided to make Mar-a-lago a kingdom it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. Johnson is growing ever more Trumpish. He needs to go.

NotSpaghetti Sun 29-May-22 11:08:19

True Maisie! hmm

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-May-22 11:12:58

NotSpaghetti

Oak and WWM - This is exactly like Trump. It became impossible to separate his ideas from his reality. If someone had told you he had decided to make Mar-a-lago a kingdom it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. Johnson is growing ever more Trumpish. He needs to go.

Exactly