Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mick Lynch - RMT Unions Boss

(57 Posts)
Daisymae Thu 23-Jun-22 11:19:06

Interesting to watch how Mick Lynch just makes mincemeat out of a lot of interviewers, including Morgan and Madeley. Unexpected star of the week.

naughtynanny Sun 26-Jun-22 12:08:52

At last, someone who challenges the ridiculous line of relentless questioning some interviewers adopt. How often do we roll our eyes to heaven at how pointless the questions usually are.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Jun-22 12:11:36

Grant Shapps has been found guilty of misleading (lying) the public over his involvement in the strike.

JanCl Sun 26-Jun-22 12:12:38

A much-needed new folk hero who is incredibly articulate. The way he calls out the Tories' scripted lies is a masterclass in understated persistence. If only the client journalists could be shamed into doing the same - which, when I was a journalist, was part of the job.

Daisymae Sun 26-Jun-22 12:16:03

One MP accused the unions of wanting to retain 19th Century practices. When asked for an example he started talking about drones, I'm sure there were a lot buzzing over Victorian Britain scaring the horses. ?

montymops Sun 26-Jun-22 12:39:45

Mick didn’t fare so well on Questiontime. He started off very well - very articulate and persuasive. However, he left a lot out which was picked up by one member of the panel - Rachel Maclean- who, because she was talking about all the shortcomings of the RMT , he talked over her a very loud rude voice, So that she couldn’t be heard. It was obvious that he knew she had a point. Several members of the audience took up the cudgels about the ridiculous and out of date working practices which the railway workers seemed determined to maintain. Mick became very quiet and looked quite shaken. He said no more.

MaizieD Sun 26-Jun-22 12:43:30

montymops

Mick didn’t fare so well on Questiontime. He started off very well - very articulate and persuasive. However, he left a lot out which was picked up by one member of the panel - Rachel Maclean- who, because she was talking about all the shortcomings of the RMT , he talked over her a very loud rude voice, So that she couldn’t be heard. It was obvious that he knew she had a point. Several members of the audience took up the cudgels about the ridiculous and out of date working practices which the railway workers seemed determined to maintain. Mick became very quiet and looked quite shaken. He said no more.

That's not how I heard that it went, but then, I didn't watch it.

Anyone else see it?

volver Sun 26-Jun-22 12:48:26

Rachel Maclean was talking rubbish though. She read out a letter that said promised no compulsory redundancies when it didn't say that at all. Then Fiona Bruce asked a question on her behalf because Fiona said that Rachel was being as quiet as a mouse.

The lady audience member who compared him to a dinosaur was interesting.

twitter.com/i/status/1540094836140826637

volver Sun 26-Jun-22 12:49:18

Cross post MaizieD

I did watch it until just after the dinosaur lady. ?

volver Sun 26-Jun-22 12:59:47

Sorry, I'm on a roll now. Is this Mick looking shaken?

twitter.com/AunMohammed90/status/1540102679061565441

LovelyLady Sun 26-Jun-22 13:41:58

He’s definitely a star and the interviewers are shown up quietly. He gives them enough rope - then we see their true colours. He’s the best.
He’s so good that when we see out politicians particularly our PM we realise our PM is a chancer!!

twiglet77 Sun 26-Jun-22 13:49:47

It’s been said across social media that the ‘dinosaur’ woman is Carrie Symonds’ mother.

Annewilko Sun 26-Jun-22 13:54:54

Silvergirl

I was thinking exactly the same. He isn’t afraid to take on their stupid questions and turn it back on them. Most of the politicians nowadays seem to run scared of the media and their ultra simplistic questions. I sometimes think the media runs the country.

The media do have massive power in this country.

DaisyAnne Sun 26-Jun-22 13:56:25

This is the whole programme. I suggest people watch it before offering an opinion on it.

As a matter of biased personal opinion I thought Mick Lynch "fared" pretty well in defending his members postition on Questiontime. I did not feel the Rachel Maclean did anything other than show that the government, that has said it will not become involved, is very much involved. But what's new with that?

Annewilko Sun 26-Jun-22 14:11:59

montymops

Oh QT and their handpicked tory audience. Worst debating programme there is.

Ilovecheese Sun 26-Jun-22 14:17:32

‘I’m going to say this for you Rachel since you’re quiet as a mouse’ says Fiona Bruce to the Tory MP on Question Time.
Is that the job of the presenter ?

Why do people think that decent working conditions are out of date now?

DaisyAnne Sun 26-Jun-22 14:26:08

Ilovecheese

‘I’m going to say this for you Rachel since you’re quiet as a mouse’ says Fiona Bruce to the Tory MP on Question Time.
Is that the job of the presenter ?

Why do people think that decent working conditions are out of date now?

They have reached that opinion because the government is working very hard to drive a wedge between one group of workers and another. Just as it is between the age groups and as many other groups as they are able. And they succeed as we can see on GN.

Is that really what we vote them in to do? (No need to answer that one)

Fiona Bruce must have contacts in high places.

MaizieD Sun 26-Jun-22 14:50:18

OK. this is from twitter, but...

Fiona Bruce is married to Nigel Sharrocks.
Nigel Sharrocks is the CEO of advertising company Carat Global Management Ltd.
Carat Global Management Ltd received £3.9m from the Treasury to advertise Government policies.

Not saying that there might be any connection, of course...

To imply that Bruce might be influenced in any way by her husband's business dealings could be called sexist, at best.

rugbymumcumbria Sun 26-Jun-22 15:21:29

Thank you for sharing that superb clip ????????

Treelover Sun 26-Jun-22 16:41:16

Richard Madeley: You are a Marxist arent you? own up. You want to destroy us all.
Mick Lynch: You do talk a lot of twaddle Richard.
smile

spabbygirl Sun 26-Jun-22 18:57:34

I laughed at the duff up comment too! He is just so refreshing and opposite to Boris, who rambles on saying absolutely nothing relevant to the question, Lynch replies in punchy, simple terms and gets right to the heart of things. He told Dominic Raab that no-one on £80k a year who just voted themselves a £2k pay rise with expenses of £200k should be telling someone on £20k they're not worth £21k, spot on Mick!!

cc Sun 26-Jun-22 19:15:06

Yes, he's lucid, calm and doesn't crow when he's obviously won a point. Nice to see a union representative who isn't aggressive and who is obviously very intelligent, I applaud him.

DaisyAnne Sun 26-Jun-22 19:22:34

It may mean nothing Maizie but it's very interesting.

montymops Sun 26-Jun-22 19:36:21

Mick Lynch has stated that unless he is given cast iron guarantees that there will be no redundancies, he will not negotiate. How can any employer give anyone a cast iron guarantee of this nature? Especially not, given the precarious state of our country’s finances. Perhaps one of you who like him so much, would tell me?

volver Sun 26-Jun-22 19:47:58

How can any employer give anyone a cast iron guarantee of this nature?

The rail companies have given guarantees of no compulsory redundancies for 12 years.

Is that you Rachael?

twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1540077284866113536

icanhandthemback Sun 26-Jun-22 20:14:01

Treelover

Richard Madeley: You are a Marxist arent you? own up. You want to destroy us all.
Mick Lynch: You do talk a lot of twaddle Richard.
smile

I think you'll find that Richard Madeley was actually saying that it was what the media would accuse Mick Lynch of being and asking if that was true. I think it is what Mick's opposition say. Mick Lynch says that he isn't a Marxist. I can't stand Richard Madeley but at least let's fault him where he is at fault!