Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mick Lynch - RMT Unions Boss

(56 Posts)
Daisymae Thu 23-Jun-22 11:19:06

Interesting to watch how Mick Lynch just makes mincemeat out of a lot of interviewers, including Morgan and Madeley. Unexpected star of the week.

Zoejory Thu 23-Jun-22 11:23:04

Quite agree. Very interesting to watch and he manages to impart information without shouting about it

rafichagran Thu 23-Jun-22 11:25:59

I thought he was very calm, kept to the point, and more than held his own with the interviewers, and without shouting.

Silvergirl Thu 23-Jun-22 11:30:03

I was thinking exactly the same. He isn’t afraid to take on their stupid questions and turn it back on them. Most of the politicians nowadays seem to run scared of the media and their ultra simplistic questions. I sometimes think the media runs the country.

Jane43 Thu 23-Jun-22 11:30:55

He absolutely owned Kay Burley on Sky news, there is a clip on You Tube. She was repeatedly asking him what the pickets would do if anybody tried to pass them. With a withering expression he very calmly explained the purpose of pickets, several times because she kept asking the same question and when he didn’t give the answer she wanted she compared the situation to The Miners’ Strike. At one stage he said he didn’t know who she was which pleased her no end. ?

DaisyAnne Thu 23-Jun-22 11:31:13

He managers without shouting, as said, or attacking his counterpart personally.

NotSpaghetti Thu 23-Jun-22 11:32:45

I'm another who finds him refreshing - sounds convincing and stable.
Maybe he should go into politics?!!

volver Thu 23-Jun-22 11:53:46

He's on Question Time tonight. Get the popcorn in.

MaizieD Thu 23-Jun-22 13:08:56

Interesting conversation with Nick Robinson here. Recorded before the RMT strike.

(It's 35 minutes long)

play.acast.com/s/f8646f09-bf0d-4d24-9f70-69e24bada08d/urn%3Abbc%3Apodcast%3Am0017sxg

Daisymae Thu 23-Jun-22 16:37:59

Some clips here
fb.watch/dQgx6Td_1Y/

vegansrock Thu 23-Jun-22 17:07:17

He’s very measured, lets the interviewer get into a rant then points out their errors calmly.

DaisyAnne Thu 23-Jun-22 17:15:05

MaizieD

Interesting conversation with Nick Robinson here. Recorded before the RMT strike.

(It's 35 minutes long)

play.acast.com/s/f8646f09-bf0d-4d24-9f70-69e24bada08d/urn%3Abbc%3Apodcast%3Am0017sxg

It's on iPlayer as well Maizie; thank you for highlighting it.

I listened to his interview and the recording from the two areas voting today (not sure which thread that was on). It just makes me think, once again, that the Political parties have all stopped thinking about communities. He mentioned it towards the end and the interviewees in Wakefield, in particular, referred to the community.

MayBee70 Thu 23-Jun-22 17:49:47

Is it true that he advised his union members to vote for brexit and doesn’t regret it?

MaizieD Thu 23-Jun-22 18:06:40

MayBee70

Is it true that he advised his union members to vote for brexit and doesn’t regret it?

The RMT union advised its members to vote for Brexit and, yes, Lynch said in an interview I saw a clip of, that he stands by it.

Someone posted a copy of the RMT's advice, with reasons, on twitter and it was mostly about freedom of movement undercutting wages and the EU backing privatisation of public services. It was stuff that I'm sure could have been refuted, but you could see how it would persuade people. (I've tried to find it, but can't)

The clip is on this thread

twitter.com/bmay/status/1539867888563232768

grannydarkhair Thu 23-Jun-22 18:44:16

I posted a clip of him with Kay Burley on the “Reinstating triple lock inflationary” thread.

MaizieD Thu 23-Jun-22 19:13:37

grannydarkhair

I posted a clip of him with Kay Burley on the “Reinstating triple lock inflationary” thread.

Poor Kay Burley was desperate for him to say that of course they would duff up anyone who tried to cross the picket line grin

Grany Fri 24-Jun-22 20:15:29

That man is great good talker makes sense would also make a good Head of State

Lawrence Leather, 22, a spokesperson for Just Stop Oil, said: “As the climate breaks down, the cost of everything will rise. That’s why we want to bring together the broadest coalition we can, including the trade unions, Britain’s biggest social movement, around concrete demands that decarbonise and put money back in people’s pockets.”

Unions can help support good causes

www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/16/jeremy-corbyn-unites-with-direct-action-group-just-stop-oil

icanhandthemback Fri 24-Jun-22 20:20:16

I might not agree with everything Mick Lynch says but I was pleasantly surprised when I watched him on Nick Robinson's Political Thinking. He earned my respect.

RichmondPark Fri 24-Jun-22 20:41:47

When you hear him speak it hits home how agenda-driven, mealy-mouthed, script-following, cliche quoting, inarticulate and unknowledgable many of our politicians and journalists are.

It's like he's the only grown up and the only one with a genuine passion for his subject.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Jun-22 21:17:22

What mainly stands out for me is the fact that we hear so little of this voice.

Nothing in the media of an in depth outline of the facts nor interviews with the cleaners or other poorly paid workers and how they manage from week to week.

That is hidden

Zoejory Fri 24-Jun-22 21:22:08

MaizieD

grannydarkhair

Poor Kay Burley was desperate for him to say that of course they would duff up anyone who tried to cross the picket line grin

I had to laugh at that.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Jun-22 13:19:34

The railway workers case.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Jun-22 13:20:33

? no doubt this will be number 2?

Ilovecheese Sat 25-Jun-22 15:55:58

RichmondPark

When you hear him speak it hits home how agenda-driven, mealy-mouthed, script-following, cliche quoting, inarticulate and unknowledgable many of our politicians and journalists are.

It's like he's the only grown up and the only one with a genuine passion for his subject.

You are spot on with that comment RichmondPark
He actually answers questions instead of deflecting them.

GraceQuirrel Sun 26-Jun-22 11:30:20

Jane43

He absolutely owned Kay Burley on Sky news, there is a clip on You Tube. She was repeatedly asking him what the pickets would do if anybody tried to pass them. With a withering expression he very calmly explained the purpose of pickets, several times because she kept asking the same question and when he didn’t give the answer she wanted she compared the situation to The Miners’ Strike. At one stage he said he didn’t know who she was which pleased her no end. ?

Kay Burley is the worst news presenter on tv. Not surprised she acted in that way.