Gransnet forums

News & politics

The U.K. 2022

(552 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Aug-22 09:52:05

If you have made the mistake of following the Tory leadership election then you will, presuming you suspended your disbelief, now know that we are facing a bright future under Liz Truss, where growth, prosperity, light touch regulation, low tax and strong international trade will deliver us all we have ever aspired to.

In fact, more than that, the climate crisis will, under her rule, be so insignificant it can be ignored; the rule of law will no longer be required; every town, village and hamlet will be a freeport making its own regulations and laws under the benign guidance of a company given the task of doing so; and the land will flow with milk and honey.

None of this is true, of course.

This morning we have news of drought and the risk of hose pipe bans and even outright water shortages.

There is also a warning of power cust to come this winter as electricity supply will not meet demand.

Avanti has just axed two-thirds of its train services on the West Coast mainline.

Six million people are waiting for NHS treatment.

Half the UK's households do not know how they will pay their fuel bills when the average energy price increases to £4,200pa this winter. The likelihood that many will simply be unable to pay is high.

As a consequence, the rest of the economy is under severe threat of recession.

A banking crisis is possible as rents go unpaid, landlords fail to service their debts, joining those mortgage holders who will be in the same boat.

Schools and hospitals face impossible choices due to their increasing energy costs this winter.

Hardly talked about, but something I fear greatly is the risk that many care homes - which have to be warm - will simply be unable to afford to carry on trading this winter as those they p[provide for cannot pay increased bills, creating a massive care crisis.

It is actually quite hard to think of anything that is working well in the UK now, and which is not at risk of failure quite soon.

The Tory leadership election is taking place in some fantasy space created by a political party wholly out of touch with reality. The difficulty is that one of those taking part - and making the absurd promises on offer to the Tory party faithful, will be governing us soon. There is little sign that they will embrace reality then.

We are in deep, deep trouble.

Richard Murphy
10/08/22

frenchie Wed 10-Aug-22 10:14:08

Watching and reading from France. We cannot believe how bad it all is and worrying sick for our daughters and grandchildren.
So much better off in France, although food prices have risen and the awful drought we’re having at the moment isn’t helping with the crops. But most of the utilities are nationalised which is such a good thing for the average families.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 10-Aug-22 10:19:59

It's just getting worse all the time, and we do not seem to have a government at all at the moment, as they're all away on holiday. Couldn't Mr Johnson have waited until September to go away? angry

halfpint1 Wed 10-Aug-22 10:24:26

Agree with you Frenchie, it is worrying when every thing in the media is so doom ladened. Having flown in and out of Leeds/Bradford
In May I was already shocked.
(For a funeral not a holiday)

Kandinsky Wed 10-Aug-22 10:26:53

Who is Richard Murphy?
( apart from the person you’ve C&P )

Juliet27 Wed 10-Aug-22 10:29:48

Couldn't Mr Johnson have waited until September to go away?
Does Wilf start school then?!

rosie1959 Wed 10-Aug-22 10:32:19

Juliet27

^Couldn't Mr Johnson have waited until September to go away?^

Doubt it as he is only 2

RichmondPark1 Wed 10-Aug-22 10:33:47

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Murphy_(tax_campaigner)

The running of this country into the ground and the appointment of an utterly inept PM can only be a deliberate act can't it?

Juliet27 Wed 10-Aug-22 10:44:01

Thanks Rosie..I should have googled.

MaizieD Wed 10-Aug-22 10:46:26

Link to Murphy's blog. Where you'll find the post *WwMk2 c & p'd and much more besides.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/

Aveline Wed 10-Aug-22 10:58:45

Yes we're all doomed. No point in going on.

Joane123 Wed 10-Aug-22 11:01:32

Depressing!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Aug-22 11:19:50

Kandinsky

Who is Richard Murphy?
( apart from the person you’ve C&P )

Professor of Accountancy Practice and Political Economist.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 10-Aug-22 15:09:22

rosie1959

Juliet27

Couldn't Mr Johnson have waited until September to go away?

Doubt it as he is only 2

Even if he was starting school then, don't you think that being PM is rather more important than taking a family holiday when there is so much going on and so many people are worried sick about how to make ends meet? Mr Johnson could have resigned and left straight away - he has a deputy after all - but he insisted on staying on until September.

rosie1959 Wed 10-Aug-22 15:33:13

A deputy PM is less likely to be able to make fiscal calls on what assistance will be available when there may be a total cabinet reshuffle when the new PM takes office
We are just going to have to wait and see what the new PM comes up with.
Nadhim Zahawi has stated that the treasury has been working on various options that the new PM could take.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 10-Aug-22 15:51:55

If the deputy PM had stepped up because Mr Johnson had resigned and left, rosie59, he could make decisions just as well as the "caretaker" PM we have at the moment. Particularly if he had been responsible enough to postpone his holiday for a month.

AGAA4 Wed 10-Aug-22 16:01:05

I'm usually a glass half full person but think it's only a quarter full now and may be empty very soon.

varian Wed 10-Aug-22 16:08:09

Boris Johnson might be called a "caretaker" PM. But he doesn't care. He's just a taker.

rosie1959 Wed 10-Aug-22 16:13:56

Wheniwasyourage

If the deputy PM had stepped up because Mr Johnson had resigned and left, rosie59, he could make decisions just as well as the "caretaker" PM we have at the moment. Particularly if he had been responsible enough to postpone his holiday for a month.

He could have done but then only to be changed by the new incoming PM
Certain assistance is already in place which is unlikely to be reversed but may be increased

MaizieD Wed 10-Aug-22 16:22:33

rosie1959

Wheniwasyourage

He could have done but then only to be changed by the new incoming PM
Certain assistance is already in place which is unlikely to be reversed but may be increased

Gordon Brown, who knows about these things, having been Chancellor, then PM over 12 years, says that planning should be started now so that help is in place by the time that energy bills are going up. It shouldn't wait another month before a new PM is in place. It will be a big job for the much maligned civil servants and they need time to do it properly so that it reaches all those in need of help.

Iam64 Wed 10-Aug-22 16:31:01

I just heard Martin Lewis on five live. He said last time he was on there were 10,000 people on the Dont Pay website. Today it’s 100,000

I’m not advocating not paying - the long term consequences scare me. I’m genuinely fearful for our country. Isn’t it time for parliament to be recalled. It feels like we have a national emergency brewing

Joseanne Wed 10-Aug-22 16:38:01

I'm not sure what the problem is with politicians taking family holidays over the summer. They need a break at some point. We could live in the hope that a summer holiday might revitalise them?
I think Macron is down south somewhere and he has a lot on his plate politically. (Admittedly he sorted some stuff before he shot off.) And isn't the Italian President sunning himself in the Med despite his PM walking out a week or so ago?

MaizieD Wed 10-Aug-22 16:50:32

Johnson could have taken as much holiday as he liked in September, Joseanne.

He doesn't have much to recover from, though, does he, as he is notoriously work averse...

mokryna Wed 10-Aug-22 16:51:37

Why is Johnson even receiving a salary as he doesn’t seem to be present at any meeting dealing with the crisis in the UK? In fact, we are told that government is sort of dealing with everything without him.

MayBee70 Wed 10-Aug-22 16:56:31

Joseanne

I'm not sure what the problem is with politicians taking family holidays over the summer. They need a break at some point. We could live in the hope that a summer holiday might revitalise them?
I think Macron is down south somewhere and he has a lot on his plate politically. (Admittedly he sorted some stuff before he shot off.) And isn't the Italian President sunning himself in the Med despite his PM walking out a week or so ago?

Just remind me how much energy costs have gone up in France compared to the U.K…