Gransnet forums

News & politics

King Charles III

(899 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 09-Sep-22 10:49:12

I’m starting a thread so we can add our thoughts and hopes for the future. The King will address the nation at midday.

He and Camilla have my support although I know not everyone feels that way.

God Save the King.

NotTooOld Fri 09-Sep-22 11:51:30

Entirely agree about Camilla. I think Charles will do a good job with her by his side. Pity he missed out on her the first time around but that's water under the bridge. I wish the best of luck to them both. May they reign in peace (some hopes!)

GrannyGravy13 Fri 09-Sep-22 11:56:12

It’s a bitter/sweet situation that the King is in, he has the job he knew from birth would be his on the death of his beloved Mother.

I wish him and the Queen Consort well for the future.

Anniebach Fri 09-Sep-22 11:56:55

William will be very much involved, he has been for several years.

The Queen had 4 children who carried out royal duties,
Charles only has one

Witzend Fri 09-Sep-22 12:03:15

He was environmentally aware long before it became fashionable. I wish him well.

lemsip Fri 09-Sep-22 12:12:47

A man who wished he was a ' Tampax that would be flushed down the lavatory being swirled around' not fit to be King!

Maudi Fri 09-Sep-22 12:13:47

Well I'm not keen on him or Camilla the way they treated Diana scheming behind her back. I personally don't think the monachy will ever been the same now the Queen has gone or held in the same high regard by people.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 09-Sep-22 12:16:26

Some people never leave the past behind do they? It was all so many years ago.

gillgran Fri 09-Sep-22 12:20:45

Great thread, I'm pleased to see support for our new King Charles 111 & his Queen Consort.
He does, indeed, have a hard act to follow, & will need to involve Prince William & other close working royals, as I'm sure he will.
They have my support & I wish them well.

( We'll all have to practice singing the National Anthem, I was 6 years old in the month when HM the Queen came to the throne, so can't remember singing "God save the King".).

Maudi Fri 09-Sep-22 12:20:47

Doesn't matter if it was years ago it still happened, people don't forget and scheming people don't change their spots and become nice. I personally dislike them both.

Norah Fri 09-Sep-22 12:23:25

Germanshepherdsmum

Some people never leave the past behind do they? It was all so many years ago.

I dislike speculation, it's just gossip really. I hated it yesterday regarding the Queen's time left on Earth and I hate it today about Charles and Camilla.

Who has slept with Charles, Camilla or Dianna and when? I doubt any of us know the whole true story. End of.

Oldwoman70 Fri 09-Sep-22 12:26:04

The Queen will be a hard act to follow - I have my doubts about whether Charles will generate the same affection, respect and loyalty with the general public.

Kinsi10 Fri 09-Sep-22 12:26:45

What a lovely thread, (overall). The Queen is irreplaceable, but Charles and Camilla will do their best and, in my opinion, they will do a good job.

merlotgran Fri 09-Sep-22 12:49:26

lemsip

A man who wished he was a ' Tampax that would be flushed down the lavatory being swirled around' not fit to be King!

Both of them moving on from what was supposed to be a private conversation and none of our business shows how fit they are to be king and consort.

Anniebach Fri 09-Sep-22 12:54:45

He did not say he wished to be a tampax, if you need to drag it
up get it right.

CatsCatsCats Fri 09-Sep-22 12:55:13

I also think King Charles III will make a good king.

He is keen on the preserving the environment - another plus.

And I love Camilla - so dignified and well-suited to her new role.

And let's all be very thankful that Prince Andrew wasn't next in line to the throne. Then where would we be?

Zonne Fri 09-Sep-22 12:58:57

If I had any hopes about his reign, it would be for him to match into Truss’s office today, yelling ‘fracking? Fracking!!!? Don’t be so bloody stupid…’

sodapop Fri 09-Sep-22 13:10:25

I'm sure the King & Queen Consort will do a good job. Different times now and of course Queen Elizabeth is irreplaceable. It will be very difficult for Charles and Camilla to know they have to take over after such a dedicated and loved Queen. I wish them both well.

Anniebach Fri 09-Sep-22 13:11:41

We will know what he will say in the private weekly meeting
with Truss

sonya411 Fri 09-Sep-22 13:16:02

Despite being disappointed he chose to be King Charles (remembering what happened to Charles I and today's republican army).
I wish him and Camilla well. There has been talk that he wants to slim down the royals and I'm sure he will, but I think Anne and some others will still be present to help with all the duties. I don't see a role for Harry (since he walked away) but maybe a couple of cousins, as William's children are still so young.
His mother was quite frugal, and I hope that he intends to slim down royal properties or open them up to the public (using the income to further reduce the financial cost to the taxpayer).
I hope his passion for the environment and sustainability continues and that he can still offer advice, even while maintaining neutrality.

Long live the king.

Calendargirl Fri 09-Sep-22 13:23:30

Of course he will reign differently to his mother.

It’s another era.

I think he and his Queen Consort (which of course she should be) will do a great job, supported admirably by the heir apparent, Prince William, who has been assisting his grandmother and father for some time.

There will be changes, but the monarchy will carry on.

Calendargirl Fri 09-Sep-22 13:26:55

And I am pleased he will stick to ‘Charles’.

After nearly 74 years being known by that name, we would find it very difficult to call him anything else.

biglouis Fri 09-Sep-22 13:29:42

Charles is undoubtedly the most intelligent of the senior Windsors. As well as his green credentials (long before others jumped on the bandwaggon, he had an interest in religion, art and architecture which is often overlooked. And he did learn to speak Welsh!

No one who talks to plants can be all bad!

He made mistakes when he was younger in allowing himwelf to be pushed into a marriage of convenience. He and Diana both made blunders.

There was a time when I disapproved of Camilla because I liked Diana. However I see that she had been good for Charles once they were finally able to make it as a couple. I think she will make a good queen consort and support him.

nanna8 Fri 09-Sep-22 13:32:16

I think he will be a good King. A different era now but I think he and Camilla will be absolutely fine. He knows what the job is, he’s been well prepared and I think Camilla will show dignity and grace in her new role. Having said that I do wish Australia would grow up and cut the apron strings but that is for the future and not something to consider just now.

HousePlantQueen Fri 09-Sep-22 13:38:50

I wish them both well as they take on this task in their 70s. Although some seem unable to let the Diana times rest in the past, I think that Camilla has behaved with dignity and is obviously a good supportive partner for Charles, a man not so confident and comfortable with public duties as his Mother was.

Parsley3 Fri 09-Sep-22 13:47:11

It will certainly be a different style of monarchy but I am optimistic that Charles will be a dutiful King. He has been well prepared for the responsibility.