Gransnet forums

News & politics

King Charles III

(899 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 09-Sep-22 10:49:12

I’m starting a thread so we can add our thoughts and hopes for the future. The King will address the nation at midday.

He and Camilla have my support although I know not everyone feels that way.

God Save the King.

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Sep-22 19:22:46

How dull life must be for people who get married while consumed by thoughts of money

It's terrible - I only married DH for his money then found out I had more than him ?

Which wasn't very much ?

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Sep-22 19:24:16

Germanshepherdsmum

You don’t have children volver. That changes things a lot.

It does.

Common-law wives who are left, for whatever reason, with children to bring up often find themselves in dire straits.

volver Sun 18-Sep-22 19:34:16

I don't have children.

I don't like people who know nothing about me suggesting that the choices I make in my life are "negligent" either.

Mollygo Sun 18-Sep-22 19:41:35

Volver, you don’t have to like any comments on GN. We none of us know anything about each other, yet opinions appear which may appear critical if they reflect something we have said. For example if you plan to die destitute and I think that is negligent, but you don’t, there’s no problem for you to fret about.

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Sep-22 19:41:57

It seemed to be a general observation, not aimed at you, volver

It does save a lot of stress for anyone who has to deal with the aftermath, though, whoever they may be.

JaneJudge Sun 18-Sep-22 19:46:52

I married my husband because I love him but tbh tonight I could kill him slowly
I wont obviously

volver Sun 18-Sep-22 19:48:12

If someone quotes my post and says what I have suggested is negligent...

No, of course they don't mean me personally ?

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Sep-22 19:56:08

JaneJudge

I wont obviously

What has he done? Can we help in any way?

I asked mine this afternoon if he minded when students interrupted him constantly during a lecture; he said he would ask for questions afterwards.
I suggested he waited to speak until after I'd finished telling him something .........

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Sep-22 19:58:49

JaneJudge

I wont obviously

Not for his money?
?

MaizieD Sun 18-Sep-22 20:01:58

I can’t help wondering if Charles has his mother’s stamina.

Judging by what he's had to do over the past 10 days, I think he'll cope, JE.

MayBee70 Sun 18-Sep-22 20:10:50

If you read the article about him in last weeks Times he always has a very busy day starting early and ending very late. I wish he could still be vocal about environmental issues.

JaneJudge Sun 18-Sep-22 20:12:35

he has no money unless he works in his boring job grin so I wont be killing him any time soon...

oh he is just so bloody annoying though ?

Joseanne Sun 18-Sep-22 22:56:47

I must admit I have lost count of the number of times Charles has said thank you to the people this last week. He has seemed very keen to express his gratitude for the love shown to his mother, in both a serious and jovial manner.

Time will tell.

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Sep-22 23:25:53

MayBee70

If you read the article about him in last weeks Times he always has a very busy day starting early and ending very late. I wish he could still be vocal about environmental issues.

The Queen managed to support environmental issues in a practical way so I'm sure he will continue, if not in quite the same way as he did.

DaisyAnne Mon 19-Sep-22 00:01:05

Joseanne

I must admit I have lost count of the number of times Charles has said thank you to the people this last week. He has seemed very keen to express his gratitude for the love shown to his mother, in both a serious and jovial manner.

Time will tell.

I don't know if you have lost your mum or are lucky enough to have her still with you. I know how grateful I was to those who wrote to me/attended mum's funeral or phoned me. I always make a point of saying something to family where I know the person who has died.

I imagine all her family, although they knew the Queen was held in high esteem, were lifted and moved by the numbers and feelings of the people sharing their grief and the memories of her life.

But the cynics will always have their say.

Joseanne Mon 19-Sep-22 07:15:40

Mine was quite the opposite of a cynical comment DaisyAnne. I admire Charles for taking the time to thank the people. It shows he has empathy and understands feelings in a very sensitive manner.
I was very young when my own mother died, and now I look back I think I actually felt a tinge of envy that others were able to express so many memories of her when I had been robbed. I understand better now.

nadateturbe Mon 19-Sep-22 08:52:15

Hollysteers comment was aimed at Volver.

You plan to die destitute and leave the expense and effort of dealing with your remains to others who may not even know you.
Some people don't have the choice, financially.

DaisyAnne Mon 19-Sep-22 09:16:04

Joseanne

Mine was quite the opposite of a cynical comment DaisyAnne. I admire Charles for taking the time to thank the people. It shows he has empathy and understands feelings in a very sensitive manner.
I was very young when my own mother died, and now I look back I think I actually felt a tinge of envy that others were able to express so many memories of her when I had been robbed. I understand better now.

I do apologise Joseanne. I have a horrible feeling that may be the second time I have misunderstood one of your posts. I will read them more carefully in the future. I think it was the "Time will tell" that sounded as if you were questioning his motives. GN seems to be making me very cynical sad

Mollygo Mon 19-Sep-22 09:16:39

nadateturbe, you’re right.
Some people don't have the choice, financially -or because of lack of family to care for them. If you do have the choice, do you think you also have a responsibility?

nadateturbe Mon 19-Sep-22 10:57:24

If you do have the choice, do you think you also have a responsibility?

I do Mollygo.

ReadyMeals Wed 21-Sep-22 12:55:03

Callistemon21

JaneJudge

I wont obviously

I asked mine this afternoon if he minded when students interrupted him constantly during a lecture; he said he would ask for questions afterwards.
I suggested he waited to speak until after I'd finished telling him something .........

I wish mine would wait till I finish too! Usually he tries to finish my sentence for me which I think is his way of trying to sound empathetic as if he is agreeing with me - but he usually guesses wrong or emphasises the wrong point grrr!

Grany Thu 22-Sep-22 13:31:23

@Rachael_Swindon

I believe there isn’t a much greater symbol of inequality in Britain than the Royal Family.

My thoughts too.

Sweden scrapped coronations 150 years ago, it is a pointless bit of theatre which will cost the country tens of millions of pounds. We will also be calling for it to be scrapped, as a way to highlight how absurd the whole charade is. Republic

@FrankWinfield5
The monarchy is the pinnacle/heart/cornerstone/foundation of the aristocracy/nobility/plutocracy. They're above the law & this "government" is extending this royal "right" to themselves so that they can ignore/change laws they don't want. Read Norman Baker "..And what do you do?"

@TerenceDEEdge
Excellent book. A real eye-opener even for someone who is anti-monarchy. Lots of facts and evidence; should be required reading in all schools so people know what the royals are really all about. Hint, Beatles: "The best things in life are free but . . . "

JaneJudge Thu 22-Sep-22 17:56:55

ReadyMeals

Callistemon21

JaneJudge

I wont obviously

I wish mine would wait till I finish too! Usually he tries to finish my sentence for me which I think is his way of trying to sound empathetic as if he is agreeing with me - but he usually guesses wrong or emphasises the wrong point grrr!

Mine is an exert of everything and manages people and thinks he can manage me, well he can't grin and I don't think he likes it very much

Callistemon21 Thu 22-Sep-22 18:07:16

It takes time for them to realise, especially after they retire JaneJudge

I estimate about a hundred years might do it.

nadateturbe Sat 12-Nov-22 14:21:50

King Charles is giving his staff a £600 bonus to help with costs of living rise.