Gransnet forums

News & politics

Oddly emotional over the Queen

(46 Posts)
Mamma66 Fri 16-Sep-22 16:51:07

I will freely admit that I am an enthusiastic supporter of the Monarchy and in particular have always held the Queen in very high regard. But I have been surprised at how emotional I have been over her death. I think it’s partly because any death reminds us of the passing of loved ones, but the death of our Queen has affected me far more than ever I would have expected. I have been quite quite tearful on several occasions and am not normally given to sentimentality. I feel a genuine and tangible sense of loss. Has anyone else been the same?

Normandygirl Fri 16-Sep-22 23:14:18

No emotion whatsoever I'm afraid. I honestly think that the excessive coverage by your media creates mass formation, and of course that's the intention. It will all die down very quickly after the funeral when the very real problems facing the country are allowed to be talked about again.
Until the coronation of course!

LRavenscroft Sat 17-Sep-22 04:03:43

icanhandthemback

No, I don't feel like that but that is quite normal for me. I tend to take everything in my stride with very little grief at the time; just a determination to get everything done and dusted. Then, about a month later, it will hit me like a bus and I will be beside myself. I think it goes back to the days when there was so much loss in my life as a child and showing emotion was a no-no. I had to wait until I could be out of sight before I let it out.
That said, I think the Queen was a fantastic lady who made her judgements in light of the era she was living in. What we think is wrong now we wouldn't have at the time.

icanhandthemback
I really empathised with your post and feel the same myself. My dad and mum brought me up to be a stalwart and I admired the Queen for her steadfastness.

Sara1954 Sat 17-Sep-22 07:27:31

Strange though it seems, I just didn’t see it coming, I felt for sure she’d live to be 100

But I agree with you, I have felt really emotional, I know I’ll be crying all the way through the funeral.

I have found the genuine grief of members of the family to be very moving.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 17-Sep-22 07:36:44

Sara1954

Strange though it seems, I just didn’t see it coming, I felt for sure she’d live to be 100

But I agree with you, I have felt really emotional, I know I’ll be crying all the way through the funeral.

I have found the genuine grief of members of the family to be very moving.

I feel exactly the same and it has taken me by surprise.
Very emotional and know I will cry at the funeral. It feels like you want to give the RF a big hug. One of the things that also tugged at heartstrings was when admirer returning to Buckingham palace when the King and Camilla walked in to BP looking like they had the weight of the world on there shoulders.
I also wonder if between them Charles and William will alter the routines for the next generation. I hope so.

Jaxjacky Sat 17-Sep-22 07:40:35

I’d only watched snippets on the news, but watched the procession two days ago, that bought a lump to my throat which surprised me.

Sarah74 Sat 17-Sep-22 07:41:59

Normandygirl

No emotion whatsoever I'm afraid. I honestly think that the excessive coverage by your media creates mass formation, and of course that's the intention. It will all die down very quickly after the funeral when the very real problems facing the country are allowed to be talked about again.
Until the coronation of course!

Absolutely

icanhandthemback Sat 17-Sep-22 10:21:46

LRavenscroft, thank you. I sometimes feel that I am inhumanly hard but recently a therapist pointed out that it is a trait of cPTSD so I have rationalised it more. My admiration for the Queen knows no bounds so, for the time being, I will concentrate on that.

Normandygirl Sat 17-Sep-22 10:36:12

I think the emotional re-action is more down to the death of the status quo and stability. After brexit, covid, threats of war, cost of living crisis and instability of government in very quick succession, I'm not surprised people are feeling a tad emotional.

Curtaintwitcher Sat 17-Sep-22 10:43:56

For most of the people in this country, the late queen was the only monarch they have ever known. It was always The Queen and Prince Philip. Now they are both gone and the country will never be the same without them. This is the end of an era. I think this is a big part of the reason why so many of us are feeling upset.

FannyCornforth Sat 17-Sep-22 10:47:26

I absolutely knew that HM was going to die this year.
I couldn’t watch the jubilee celebrations as it all felt so sad - as if we were saying goodbye to her.

maddyone Sat 17-Sep-22 10:47:36

GagaJo

Me too. But my mum died a few months ago, and I think my emotions about my mum are being triggered again by the Queen's death.

Me too. My mum died three weeks ago and I think the Queen’s death has affected me disproportionately because of this.

Caleo Sat 17-Sep-22 10:50:34

The sad transience of life is brought to immediate attention by how it affects even the very rich, the very famous, and the very good.

In death, Elizabeth II is the same as everyone else. Earth to earth, dust to dust.

wicklowwinnie Sat 17-Sep-22 11:19:45

At the moment, I just feel I am at the end of being a royalist.
I cannot feel any support for a Charles/Camilla reign
after all their past behaviour.

biglouis Sat 17-Sep-22 11:58:48

There is something deep and fundamental going on here that is difficult to explicate. Some posters have touched upon it by reference to the state of the country/economy and uncertainty about the future. First we have the experience of a deeply corrupt govenment effectively stepping back from governing which Rishi and Truss slagged it out.

People sense its the end of an era and they want some sense of certainty. But there is none. We have the government again sitting ineffectually on their backsides while the deckchairs are being re-arranged on the Titanic. Meanwhile we do what we do best. Queue and ceremonial and the band plays on.

icanhandthemback Sat 17-Sep-22 13:58:06

wicklowwinnie

At the moment, I just feel I am at the end of being a royalist.
I cannot feel any support for a Charles/Camilla reign
after all their past behaviour.

That's a statement that can get you into trouble on GN. I am a horrible, unforgiving, non-Christian like person for even suggesting such a thing. wink

Joseanne Sat 17-Sep-22 14:04:40

by reference to the state of the country/economy and uncertainty about the future
Exactly this biglouis I agree.
We were having in depth conversation about the uncertainty last night with some French people. Interestingly they said given a couple of years they maybe expected to see the UK sorted, while they themselves might have stagnated and not moved onwards.

wicklowwinnie Sat 17-Sep-22 14:44:45

I find it very difficult to have to do pretence.

Caleo Sun 18-Sep-22 10:30:37

BigLouis wrote I endorse it:

"There is something deep and fundamental going on here that is difficult to explicate. Some posters have touched upon it by reference to the state of the country/economy and uncertainty about the future. First we have the experience of a deeply corrupt govenment effectively stepping back from governing which Rishi and Truss slagged it out.

People sense its the end of an era and they want some sense of certainty. But there is none. We have the government again sitting ineffectually on their backsides while the deckchairs are being re-arranged on the Titanic. Meanwhile we do what we do best. Queue and ceremonial and the band plays on."

Times and seasons. There is a time for people to express genuine feelings, and this is such a time.

Skye17 Sun 18-Sep-22 14:25:34

Normandygirl

I think the emotional re-action is more down to the death of the status quo and stability. After brexit, covid, threats of war, cost of living crisis and instability of government in very quick succession, I'm not surprised people are feeling a tad emotional.

I agree. The Queen represented stability and continuity. It was comforting that she stayed the same while so much else did not!

I have been lacking stability and continuity in my own life as well lately, and I think that’s one reason I feel sadder than I expected.

Caleo Thu 22-Sep-22 19:06:50

Yes, stability and continuity. I was a little girl while the princesses Elizabeth and Margaret Rose were little girls, Elizabeth has been in the public eye ever since she was a little girl.
At this time we do so much long for stability and continuity. Putin frightens me. So do climate change, and the Tory government.