Gransnet forums

News & politics

Liz Truss has told King Charles not to go to the COP27 meeting next month

(184 Posts)
Alie2Oxon Sun 02-Oct-22 10:01:49

This is what I have just heard said on the BBC 9am news. And yes, they used the word 'told'.

It isn't on their website. It's considerably toned down on the Guardian website. The mirror is even stronger - 'Liz Truss orders King Charles not to attend COP27 climate summit."

What the hell is going on here?

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 07:35:45

varian

Yes our new king is a climate hypocrite, taking all these helicopter rides, private jets etc, but that does not mean that his views on climate change are wrong.

They are right. It's just that he doesn't see they apply to him and his family.

I believe that he genuinely holds these views on the environment and climate change and if his elevation to the monarchy means he cannot express these views he should delegate that task to the new Prince of Wales.

If the government will not allow him to attend the COP he must ensure a video speech from a member of his family is heard there. This PM has no right to veto that.

What a good post varian.

Grany Tue 04-Oct-22 08:16:23

Charles is in Scotland today on his theatrical pantomime tour to promote his undemocratic position as an over privileged, over paid, unaccountable, unelected head of state #NotMyKing

#Ecohypocrite Charles's second helicopter flight today. It's a 45 minute drive from Dunfermline Abbey to Hollyroodhouse, but it seems he took a helicopter instead.

Grany Tue 04-Oct-22 08:23:27

The Prince of Wales took more than 20 private flights, including several helicopters, within the UK last year in order to avoid being stuck in traffic, it has emerged.

The heir to the throne is said to be “allergic” to travelling by helicopter, one of the most polluting modes of travel.

However, the annual Sovereign Grant report revealed that he took several flights during the last financial year, including hopping between engagements in Northern Ireland and Wales and a 70-mile trip from London to RAF Brize Norton, in order to catch a charter flight to Jordan.

The Prince and the Duchess of Cornwall also appear to have flown separately to Wales by helicopter from their respective homes, Highgrove in Gloucestershire and Ray Mill in Wiltshire.

The couple took more than 15 charter flights, including to and from Belfast, and multiple journeys from residence to residence - including Glasgow to Northolt last July and Northolt to Marham to Aberdeen in December.

It comes as the Duchy of Cornwall, the Prince’s landed estate, outlined its ambition to reach net zero carbon by the early 2030s.

Telegraph

Grany Tue 04-Oct-22 08:25:43

Fears of ‘conflict’ between future king’s travel and his role as a green champion

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 08:26:29

I'm a vegetarian but I wear leather shoes.

People do their best, including unelected Heads of State with a job to do.

My point is, don't expect anyone to be perfect.

pascal30 Tue 04-Oct-22 10:15:51

volver

I'm a vegetarian but I wear leather shoes.

People do their best, including unelected Heads of State with a job to do.

My point is, don't expect anyone to be perfect.

I agree Volver... good intention is important

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 10:19:29

DH used to go to work by helicopter too.

Grany Tue 04-Oct-22 10:43:59

Unelected Head of State hasn't got a job can only do what the PM asks, just serves politicians and the monarchy.

No role to play for the people of this country and the constitution

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 10:57:41

Grany

Unelected Head of State hasn't got a job can only do what the PM asks, just serves politicians and the monarchy.

No role to play for the people of this country and the constitution

He has got a job. I don't think it's as hard as they make out, I don't think its right that he should have it just because of who his mum was, and I don't support the continuation of an undemocratic governmental system.

But he does have a job to do.

Anniebach Tue 04-Oct-22 11:21:36

An appointment in N.Ireland and Wales, so use a car and a boat
and sod the people he is to meet they can wait,

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 11:24:08

But he does have a job to do

And, as Anniebach says sod the people he is to meet they can wait

On yer bike! They even have rechargeable electric ones now. ?

Grany Tue 04-Oct-22 18:12:35

Scottish government introduces new law to stop rent increases. Charles gets first look at draft law and is allowed to lobby - in secret - for changes to suit his private interests. Absolute disgrace.

Anniebach Tue 04-Oct-22 18:30:32

So it isn’t a secret

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 18:32:25

He's allowed to lobby - that's not a secret.

What he asks for and what he gets - that's the secret.

Anniebach Tue 04-Oct-22 18:34:38

Grany got it wrong ? surely not

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 18:35:29

Not, it wasn't grany who got it wrong....

Casdon Tue 04-Oct-22 19:02:45

Grany

Scottish government introduces new law to stop rent increases. Charles gets first look at draft law and is allowed to lobby - in secret - for changes to suit his private interests. Absolute disgrace.

This does my head in though. Grany you have done it again.
twitter.com/search?src=trend_click&q=%23NotMyKing
Please credit republic!

happycatholicwife1 Tue 04-Oct-22 22:24:17

Aldom, that's not true. And at least Truss is an English woman. Doesn't anybody remember when Michelle Obama walked up to the Queen (first time they met) and tackled her with an embrace that nearly knocked the poor woman over?

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 22:35:39

And....another night when the whole site's gone bonkers ?

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 22:36:53

happycatholicwife1

Aldom, that's not true. And at least Truss is an English woman. Doesn't anybody remember when Michelle Obama walked up to the Queen (first time they met) and tackled her with an embrace that nearly knocked the poor woman over?

Now if I say "Oh, those pushy Americans" I'll get chastised for being anti-American!

Well, I saw her put a gentle arm around the Queen's shoulders and the Queen put her arm around Michelle's waist.
The Queen didn't seem to mind.
Unprecedented!
Well, there was Paul Keating but he's Australian ?

FannyCornforth Wed 05-Oct-22 08:24:23

I remember the Queen and Mrs Obama too.
It was lovely and touching.
I imagine that she had the emotional intelligence to know what was and wasn’t personally appropriate.
The Obamas were great weren’t they they.
Those were the days sad
I’d do anything if we could all go back to around 2012

volver Wed 05-Oct-22 09:06:29

King Charles should attend climate summit, COP26 president says

The COP26 President is a member of Truss's cabinet.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63136131

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 09:12:51

COP 27 is requesting the King’s attendance

CatsCatsCats Wed 05-Oct-22 09:17:49

Come on Charles, man up. Ignore Liz Truss and get to COP 27 - it's far more important than most things going on at the moment.

Anniebach Wed 05-Oct-22 09:56:14

Casdon thank you for the link ,