Gransnet forums

News & politics

Scarf in Suffragette colours not allowed in Scottish Parliament.

(1001 Posts)
grannydarkhair Tue 15-Nov-22 12:11:37

During stage 2 hearings of the GRR Bill in the Scottish Parliament, women are being asked to either remove scarves knitted in Suffragette colours of green, purple and white or leave. At least one woman has chosen to leave. And yet quite a few of the MSPs are wearing Rainbow lanyards.

twitter.com/obsolesence/status/1592447547263844352?s=61&t=2RGtdfWK_cUWRQG6nAtdXw

volver Tue 15-Nov-22 13:44:27

JenniferEccles

The SNP is fast losing all credibility isn’t it?
Independence? I don’t think so.

Do you have a vote about independence JE?

Rosie51 Tue 15-Nov-22 13:47:15

Not innocence just honest truth. I stand by what I say, women's rights need protecting. The suffragette colours stand for women's rights.

Oreo Tue 15-Nov-22 13:48:11

volver ? is that you Ms Sturgeon?

Rosie51 Tue 15-Nov-22 13:48:21

That answer to Volver who never answers an awkward question.

MaizieD Tue 15-Nov-22 13:51:30

We still don't seem to have got to the bottom of who actually ordered that it should be removed. The tweet posted earlier didn't say.

At the moment I'm feeling a bit horrified that clothing can be apparently censored in this way.

volver Tue 15-Nov-22 13:52:11

I certainly don't answer questions which are asked to provoke anger or to make a person look small.

Here's an awkward question.

Who asked for the scarf to be removed? Was it some woke Greenie?

paddyann54 Tue 15-Nov-22 13:53:47

Nothing to do with Ms Sturgeon or the SNP it was a member of staff who asked the woman to remove her scarf or leave .
I think you'll find this sort of propoganda against the Scottish government is rife and not always believable .
Of course all those SNP BAD types lap it up and believe every word
Shame you dont publicise the good things SNP/GREENS are doing ,such as the new child payment that child poverty groups has heralded as a "game changer" in the fight against child poverty and said Westminster must do something along the same lines to help stop the huge rise in child poverty since the tories came to power 12 years ago

MaizieD Tue 15-Nov-22 13:55:18

volver

Rosie51

volver

This is another trans thread, isn't it? 🤦🏼‍♀️

No I think it's a thread about excluding women from wearing an inoffensive scarf. You're happy for women's dress to be so regulated? The suffragette colours stand for the women who campaigned for us to get the vote. You have an issue with them?

Ah, such innocence...

Real or feigned?

I agree with Rosie51.

It isn't a trans thread, it's about censorship. I would have thought that you would be concerned about that, volver.

Smileless2012 Tue 15-Nov-22 13:56:26

We need to know who asked for the scarf to be removed and with what authority.

The Rainbow encompasses all members of LGBTIA+ volver not just trans men and trans women so no, it is not another trans thread.

MaizieD Tue 15-Nov-22 13:57:13

Nothing to do with Ms Sturgeon or the SNP it was a member of staff who asked the woman to remove her scarf or leave

I'm sure that a 'member of staff' wouldn't have done this off their own bat, paddyann. Someone must have given them the instruction to do it.

Aveline Tue 15-Nov-22 13:57:56

I'm proud to wear suffragette colours. How daft to ban them. I'm sure lots of SNP fans would agree too. Some things go beyond party politics. Women's rights were hard won.

Oreo Tue 15-Nov-22 13:59:08

All good then, as it was only a ‘member of staff,’ whatever that means, and from now on all women will be able to wear suffragette scarves as often as they like.
Won’t they paddyann54 ?

Smileless2012 Tue 15-Nov-22 13:59:42

I expect then paddyann that the SNP will be making a statement about it as it wont look very good if they don't, and words need to be had with the member of staff too.

MiniMoon Tue 15-Nov-22 13:59:51

This is the Scottish Parliament tartan.

Nannarose Tue 15-Nov-22 14:18:59

Please would someone explain? I am gathering from this thread that the Suffragette colours (which I often wear) are being associated with those who object to trans rights. Am I correct?
Personally I do not know why this should be, but I would like to know. Thank you!

fairfraise Tue 15-Nov-22 14:29:09

But if you are not wearing the "Suffragette stripes" but say a purple shirt white jumper and a green silky scarf for example, your normal wear, would you still be associated with a particular cause? People wear umpteen colour choices. Doesn't mean they are carrying the flag for something in particular.

volver Tue 15-Nov-22 14:39:51

www.thenational.scot/news/23126523.scottish-parliament-apology-woman-ejected-suffragette-scarf/

Can we calm down now?

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Nov-22 14:40:50

DH's family tartan is green, purple and white 😲
What now?

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Nov-22 14:41:16

Phew!
X post

Rosie51 Tue 15-Nov-22 14:49:09

volver

www.thenational.scot/news/23126523.scottish-parliament-apology-woman-ejected-suffragette-scarf/

Can we calm down now?

So they admit the treatment of the woman was wrong. That's good. They recognise the suffragette colours are legitimate not an 'anti-trans' political statement. So this was about censorship and controlling women not a trans thread 🙄🙄

volver Tue 15-Nov-22 14:53:14

The person in the suffragette scarf should not have been asked to leave by the official of the Scottish Parliament.

But, some background...

It was a committee meeting about the Gender Recognition Reform Bill. This has caused untold divisiveness in Scottish political circles. It's all about being trans. The woman who was asked to leave is a political activist. It's a favourite trick of Gender Critical (? is that the right terminology) people to accuse those who don't immediately vociferously agree with them of being anti-women and not real feminists. It's happened to me on this thread. So it is a trans thread, whether you all want to admit it or not. It's also turned out to be a lovely opportunity to have a go at the SNP and Sturgeon.

Next time, read the details before jumping to conclusions.

Parsley3 Tue 15-Nov-22 14:53:24

volver

Can we calm down now?

So, it was a mistake then and not a direct instruction from the First Minister at all. No need for a big hoohah.
A few years ago I gave my daughter and daughter in law a lecture on the suffragettes after I found out that they were not bothering to vote. I think I will give them one of those scarves for Christmas.

Rosie51 Tue 15-Nov-22 15:00:21

The woman who was asked to leave is a political activist

How did they know she was a political activist? Do they have a list, with photos, of political activists who they wish to challenge and/or censor their clothing?

fairfraise Tue 15-Nov-22 15:05:42

There's a popup advert now on my screen for Vintage and Rare Hermes scarfs !

grannydarkhair Tue 15-Nov-22 15:06:53

I’m pleased that the Presiding Officer, Alison Johnstone issued an apology as quickly as she did. One of the women wasn’t even wearing a three colour scarf, her scarf was all purple.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion