Gransnet forums

News & politics

Soft power

(57 Posts)
Sunny82z Mon 05-Dec-22 22:26:21

While I am not mad about the Royal family, they do give the Country a degree of soft power around the World and to a degree keep the countries of the commonwealth onside. So I am bothered by Harry and Megan appearing to want to do all they can to destroy the monarchy for money. It is up to us the subjects to decide whether we do or don't what a monarchy or a republic not a third rate actress who couldn't make in Hollywood and a very dim Prince.

Galaxy Mon 05-Dec-22 22:28:33

Is there a vote that I have missed? I dont feel as if I have any say on whether we have a monarchy or not.

Mollygo Mon 05-Dec-22 22:34:44

Not so far Galaxy-or I missed it too.

Sunny82z Mon 05-Dec-22 22:53:54

The point was that Megan and Harry are doing a lot of damage to the Royal family and it is not up to them to get rid of them it is up to us.

BlueBelle Mon 05-Dec-22 22:56:32

Would be so refreshing if we could have one day not posting about Harry and Meghan

icanhandthemback Mon 05-Dec-22 23:01:39

They are perfectly entitled to publish what they experienced. The Public can make up their own mind as to what they want as a Head of State and campaign for it if they want to.

nadateturbe Mon 05-Dec-22 23:35:02

It is up to us the subjects to decide.
I'm not a subject!

Katie59 Tue 06-Dec-22 07:35:50

Yawn, it’s just another family break up and estrangement, happens all the time, I do have sympathy with William and Katherine not being able to respond.

volver Tue 06-Dec-22 09:09:14

This is new.

Six months ago, the criticism of M&H was often about how they were upsetting the Queen. Now in several posts, I have seen it said that they want to bring down our way of life (Really, that was said) and destroy the monarchy.

It's just another stick to beat them with, and I can't be the only one who is seeing a succession of baseless reasons to demonise them?

In the last couple of hundred years the monarchy has survived attempted assassinations, being closely related to the people who led the country we were at war with, an abdication and the death of Diana. I think it will survive an upset Prince and his wife.

Unfortunately.

Petera Tue 06-Dec-22 09:15:53

Sunny82z

The point was that Megan and Harry are doing a lot of damage to the Royal family and it is not up to them to get rid of them it is up to us.

There are a number of other dim princes 'voting' the other way. I'm happy to ignore them too and go for the referendum that the OP is proposing.

Riverwalk Tue 06-Dec-22 09:35:06

It's a pity that such a good title for a thread is wasted on yet another bash at H&M.

As for Soft Power, I think it's a very real thing and the UK has benefitted from the long-term influence of the late Queen, BBC, Premier League, popular music, cricket, overseas aid, and so on. I'm sure people can think of many more!

Grany Tue 06-Dec-22 11:34:17

A monarchy Head of State has no real power to help the people see the ruinous state this country is in under the Torres A president an elected Head of State would step in and have a word with the PM.

But the monarch can vet legislation for their own interests so laws are changed to benefit that is corruption, in public office for private gain.

Can’t think of any soft power, monarchy benefits the royals and government, who it gives all the power to. The monarchy is a drain on the economy we get nothing from them at all. Just gossip like celebrity

Katie59 Tue 06-Dec-22 11:44:39

They are demonizing themselves, if they didn’t get on with the family they could have moved away, overseas if needed and lived quietly, just like the Duke of Windsor did. Harry is entitled to a share in his parents wealth so there would have been the cash to do that.

But oh no he has chosen to embarrass his family in the worst possible way - just for money, no other reason, to me that is contemptible.

Boz Tue 06-Dec-22 12:14:09

Katie59

They are demonizing themselves, if they didn’t get on with the family they could have moved away, overseas if needed and lived quietly, just like the Duke of Windsor did. Harry is entitled to a share in his parents wealth so there would have been the cash to do that.

But oh no he has chosen to embarrass his family in the worst possible way - just for money, no other reason, to me that is contemptible.

Totally agree. Hell hath no fury etc.... What a ghastly pair.

Aveline Tue 06-Dec-22 12:25:25

Soft power is a subject worthy of discussion. H&M ? Not worth worth discussing.

Grantanow Tue 06-Dec-22 12:46:57

Just another ever-entitled couple cashing in on their 'celebrity'. Netflix should can the film.

volver Tue 06-Dec-22 12:48:18

Is there an echo in here?

Norah Tue 06-Dec-22 12:49:25

Riverwalk

It's a pity that such a good title for a thread is wasted on yet another bash at H&M.

As for Soft Power, I think it's a very real thing and the UK has benefitted from the long-term influence of the late Queen, BBC, Premier League, popular music, cricket, overseas aid, and so on. I'm sure people can think of many more!

Soft power. To quote the PM in my favourite Christmas movie:

"We may be a small country, but we're a great one, too. The country of Shakespeare, Churchill, the Beatles, Sean Connery, Harry Potter. David Beckham's right foot. David Beckham's left foot, come to that."

Mollygo Tue 06-Dec-22 15:05:42

Norah-I’ll have to watch that film again now!👏👏

Ilovecheese Tue 06-Dec-22 15:19:49

When is this referendum when we get to decide then?

tickingbird Tue 06-Dec-22 16:36:49

Ilovecheese

When is this referendum when we get to decide then?

tickingbird Tue 06-Dec-22 16:38:47

Not anytime soon. No call for it, we like them 👑👑

nadateturbe Tue 06-Dec-22 20:14:52

But the monarch can vet legislation for their own interests so laws are changed to benefit that is corruption, in public office for private gain.
Never thought of it like that

Shropshirelass Tue 06-Dec-22 20:21:49

From what I can tell there is very little truth in this, photos used are said to prove how they were hounded by the press and they have been proven to have been nothing to do with them. I don’t know what they are doing other than trying to cash in on their lies. It is very sad, they should just get on with their lives, QUIETLY. They are making themselves look very foolish and pathetic. I won’t be watching them.

icanhandthemback Tue 06-Dec-22 22:48:04

Shropshirelass, Netflix have put out a statement that the images used were not meant to be literal. There is no doubt whatsoever that Meghan was part of a feeding frenzy for the press, just as other girlfriends of Harry's were. Whether things they have said are true is another matter but to deny they were hounded by the press is just plain daft.