Gransnet forums

News & politics

What is wrong with this government?

(58 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 08-Dec-22 13:48:47

Lindsay Hoyle is forced to suspend the House because the Government has failed to provide the transcript of its full statement to the opposition. This is against the ministerial code.

"This is not the way we do good government."
Lindsay Hoyle.

We so need an election.

Blossoming Thu 08-Dec-22 14:09:34

Yes, we do.

hazel93 Thu 08-Dec-22 14:20:54

How much worse can it get ? I totally despair, we no longer have a government, just posturing ineffectual people who I would not allow to look after my cats let alone run the country.
Winter of discontent ? In my view will be far worse than that.

Happygirl79 Thu 08-Dec-22 14:21:48

This government do whatever they want for their own gain whenever they are able to get away with it . Nothing changes

Luckygirl3 Thu 08-Dec-22 14:25:00

Can't see this on the news.

But yes, we need a GE.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 08-Dec-22 14:44:19

It looks as if they are completely helpless and don't know what to do next. Why can't they just give in and give us an election? We surely can't go on like this for more than a year, can we?

hazel93 Thu 08-Dec-22 14:58:04

Well, they will try ! I find it quite revealing how many Tory MPs are jumping ship already , never known this before an election that is ostensibly mid term.
Shenagigans afoot - surely not !

Quokka Thu 08-Dec-22 15:02:13

“You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go.”

These words, or some variation of them, have been invoked on three dramatic occasions in Britain’s House of Commons and are now synonymous with critiques of the country’s powerholders.

First uttered by Oliver Cromwell in 1653, the words were delivered again, perhaps most famously, in a 1940 critique of Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain. The iconic line was then quoted again some 8 decades later, in early 2022, as part of an attack levelled at Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Keekaboo Thu 08-Dec-22 15:03:28

The problem as I see it is this lot who are in government think they can do whatever they blooming well like.

They see it as the rules are for the plebs not them who think they have a right to do whatever they want and get away with it.

Good for you Mr Speaker ! The country cannot go on like this
We need a general election…soon.

ronib Thu 08-Dec-22 15:06:31

I believe that procedures were not followed as Michael Gove ad libbed parts of his statement to the House about the Cumbrian coal mine and had failed to provide a written copy to the opposition 45 minutes before he spoke. However a full copy of his statement has been taken by a Hansard reporter and presumably will be available for scrutiny.

Petera Thu 08-Dec-22 15:15:47

Luckygirl3

Can't see this on the news.

But yes, we need a GE.

twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1600816265723285505?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1600816265723285505%7Ctwgr%5E1e4ee18289ab3486c19c7750b44629b615dce5ce%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fpolitics%2Flive%2F2022%2Fdec%2F08%2Fstrikes-nhs-rishi-sunak-conservative-labour-latest-news-updates%3Fpage%3Dwith3Ablock-6391ceb98f08a8374b3d33e4

Ziplok Thu 08-Dec-22 15:18:30

The problem to me, it seems, is that they have held the reins for too long, so they feel they are unanswerable to anyone. It’s time for change, though whom heaven knows - none of the opposition inspire me thus far.

Ziplok Thu 08-Dec-22 15:20:31

“though to whom those reins should pass heaven knows” is what I meant to type there.

Dinahmo Thu 08-Dec-22 15:29:32

Ziplok

“though to whom those reins should pass heaven knows” is what I meant to type there.

Labour.

Keir Starmer and Rachel Reeves have been talking to business people today assuring them that Labour is the party of business.

This is a preview of what they were intending to talk about. They've even had a review into start up funding led by a former Treasury minister.

www.theguardian.com/business/2022/dec/07/labour-unveils-funding-shake-up-to-help-turn-uk-into-global-startup-hub

I'm sure that most LP members and supporters will agree that Starmer and his colleagues are well aware that UK needs to invest in new business and I suspect that it will not involve benefits to cronies.

paddyann54 Thu 08-Dec-22 15:36:18

I see on another site the "Baroness"Mone has jetted off by private plane to Honduras....they have no extradition agreements with the UK .Shouldn't she have had her passport removed at the least until she handed back the 29 million not to mention the rest of the money which landed in a company with connections to her OH.
Can they also go after Dido Harding who got BILLIONS for a track and trace system that never worked?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 09-Dec-22 13:56:16

So -

The company that has won the Cumbrian mining contract is based in guess where?

The Cayman Islands

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Whitewavemark2 Fri 09-Dec-22 13:58:01

Mine is selling her assets before they are ceased - just like the Tories allowed the Russians did.

gangy5 Fri 09-Dec-22 17:55:17

Please someone, start a new political party worth voting for at the next General Election. No point in calling for one now when there is no party worth voting for. I think we're all yearning for something really different. I for one am fed up being faced with the same 2 utterly stale parties.

Nandalot Fri 09-Dec-22 18:15:11

I am concerned about the new banking measures. Haven’t the government learnt anything from last mistakes.

Iam64 Fri 09-Dec-22 18:21:51

What policies would you want from your new political party gangy5

Shylindyloo Fri 09-Dec-22 18:31:05

I didn’t realise this Forum was so political.

I would say give Rishi a chance.

Heaven forfend if Stammer gets in at next GE

Grammaretto Fri 09-Dec-22 18:31:19

What scares me now is that the far right will be in the ascendancy as in other European countries.
The Tories are a joke but there is no-one prepared to stand up to them .
Their lies, greed , stupidity, incompetence and shamelessness astound me.
At the same time as the strikers are told to get back to work and there's no more money we read that Mone has run away to the West Indies with her millions, that the UK still continues to trade with Russia and thus props up the destruction of the Ukraine, the oil companies are making vast profits which they just hang on to,. or dole out to their shareholders.

BP boasted that they had invested £300million into Renewables - this is a mere 2.5% of their profits .

I want a world we used to have with trains, buses, libraries, leisure centres, education for all, nurses and doctors, police, posties and council housing, all keeping the country jogging along. Is that an impossible dream?

growstuff Fri 09-Dec-22 19:21:24

Shylindyloo

I didn’t realise this Forum was so political.

I would say give Rishi a chance.

Heaven forfend if Stammer gets in at next GE

Why? In what way(s) would Starmer be worse?

Dinahmo Fri 09-Dec-22 19:24:33

" I want a world we used to have with trains, buses, libraries, leisure centres, education for all, nurses and doctors, police, posties and council housing, all keeping the country jogging along. Is that an impossible dream? "

Most of us experienced that dream once. Sadly people have to realise the harm caused the austerity of the last govt. I think it will take even harder times before people become aware of the harm that's been caused over the last 12 years.

volver Fri 09-Dec-22 19:26:19

You might want to point out as well growstuff that the forum is called News and politics.