Gransnet forums

News & politics

the church of england has never crpwned a divorced King

(121 Posts)
lemsip Sat 31-Dec-22 22:35:18

Experts play down Coronation crisis fears after royal author Anthony Holden suggested King Charles's ceremony could be invalidated because of his 1994 affair confession
Anthony Holden argued any coronation was likely to be invalid
The Church of England has never crowned a divorced man as King, let alone one who has publicly confessed to adultery, he said
It would require a revision of the coronation oath.

Glorianny Mon 02-Jan-23 11:02:59

Callistemon21

Interesting, Glorianny

However, there is a difference between being a Governor, the titular Head, and being an ordained priest.

Of course there is. But the question is one of acceptance. The Cof E has only just held together through the appointment of women to ministry, the acceptance of homosexuality and marriage after divorce. Will those who have consistently opposed new reforms accept Charles, given his history? Even the progressives accepted adulterers remarrying in the church is wrong. Traditionalists are more likely to refuse to accept him and could split from the church.

Callistemon21 Mon 02-Jan-23 11:06:47

It's more progressive than other religions.

And the fact that it was founded because of the wish divorce (and adultery) means the stance of so-called traditionalists is hypocritical.

Callistemon21 Mon 02-Jan-23 11:07:06

Wish for divorce

Grany Mon 02-Jan-23 11:12:44

Callistemon21

As soon as I got to the word cretin used as a description by the Irish woman (lady is the wrong word to describe her) then I stopped reading.

I thought so at first but how else can you make your very good case very good points made.
You should read it.

Mollygo Mon 02-Jan-23 11:21:51

Callistemon21

I'm wondering which way to take that
😂

Take it as a positive-that’s how it was meant.
Of course we can all post information and opinions on the matter, coloured by our own views and experiences, but it will happen, the Irish woman will keep on being as she is (thank you for saving me the need to read her post) and the world will keep on turning.

Allsorts Mon 02-Jan-23 11:27:10

Of course it will be valid, do you not think they have that covered. We don’t chop heads off any more to dispose of a Queen. The Church has had to move with the times. I didn’t like what Charles or Camilla did to Diana, yet as time has moved on it’s obvious she is the partner he needs. Charles has taken on the role of King very well and is popular. Despite all the ingratitude and bad behaviour of H he has only shown him compassion, it’s known he would welcome him back. Remarkable really.
This country gets a lot of revenue and interest from other countries because of our Royal Family, glad it’s being scaled down, too many lazy hangers on. Also pleased how Will and Kate are a great support to C and are very popular. This is going to be a very different Reign from that of the late Queen, that was of that era, can never be repeated.

Callistemon21 Mon 02-Jan-23 11:29:09

We could have the same views as others but, because of the way they express them, we may disregard them if they use certain language or tend to tell us that the whole world is laughing at us.

It's offputting and detracts from the discussion.

Callistemon21 Mon 02-Jan-23 11:29:51

Thanks Mollygo 🙂

Callistemon21 Mon 02-Jan-23 11:33:36

This is going to be a very different Reign from that of the late Queen, that was of that era, can never be repeated

I think you're right, Allsorts
Despite the fact that Charles is 74, he seems to be forward-thinking regarding religion, the environment and social problems, which must be difficult for him, having been brought up steeped in the traditions of centuries.

MawtheMerrier Mon 02-Jan-23 12:33:09

I think you're right, Allsorts
Despite the fact that Charles is 74, he seems to be forward-thinking regarding religion, the environment and social problems etc etc
Ooh shaky ground! gringrin
I’m 74 - no further comment!

HousePlantQueen Mon 02-Jan-23 13:18:17

Although the theological discussion is interesting, I can't help feel that there are far more important things to worry about than whether a few CofE purists are in a flap about whether or not to crown a divorced man. Semantics for pedants.

Fleurpepper Mon 02-Jan-23 13:20:18

Callistemon21

^Laugh, mock, deride, filly your boots- it won't change facts^

Do you mean the foreign tourists who are laughing at the C of E?
Which facts?
🤔

Did you read my previous post?

No, it is not the tourists who laugh at the CofE- puzzled they are, yes, but laughing not.

The laughing was done, and done again repeatedly, by one poster- as explained in my last post.

Lathyrus Mon 02-Jan-23 13:47:07

Most people are puzzled about aspects of others religions, aren’t they

I don’t get what the point is of saying tourists are puzzled. Of course they are.

Callistemon21 Mon 02-Jan-23 15:07:03

MawtheMerrier

^I think you're right, Allsorts^
Despite the fact that Charles is 74, he seems to be forward-thinking regarding religion, the environment and social problems etc etc
Ooh shaky ground! gringrin
I’m 74 - no further comment!

Oops, sorry!

blush

Callistemon21 Mon 02-Jan-23 15:17:35

puzzled - are they, or are they interested/fascinated as we might be by religious practices/buildings in different countries we may visit?

I don't see why the C of E should be any more puzzling than many other religions.

However, I'm still annoyed that we had pay £15 to go into Canterbury Cathedral (fair enough, helps towards the upkeep) but then got thrown out, along with tourists from various countries, after a short time because they were going to hold a service in part of it.
We were all very quiet and well-behaved, too!

Grantanow Sun 08-Jan-23 17:49:26

Does any of this really matter nowadays? The days of Margaret and Townshend are long gone. And the CofE is increasingly marginal to most people's concerns.

Fleurpepper Sun 08-Jan-23 18:03:04

Callistemon 'I don't see why the C of E should be any more puzzling than many other religions.'

Indeed, you are right in so many ways. And yet- on the one hand there is the Catholic Church, and on the other, many Protestant denominations, each with ver specific traits.

In the middle, neither one, nor the other, is the CofE Church. Very unique in so many ways.

What makes it currently of such strong interest, is not the religion itself. But the fact the Crown, the country, the political, judicial, educational, etc- systems, are so strongly and officially linked still today.

Even though, as Grantanow says, it is increasingly marginal to most people's concerns.

It is time for it to become, like other religions, a private matter, and relinquish its strong influence on all the above.

Jaberwok Sun 08-Jan-23 18:39:42

George 1st was divorced. He married Sophie Dorothea of Celle in 1682. 1694 accusing her infidelity he divorced her and imprisoned her for the rest of her life. George was crowned in 1714. The Anglican church was founded on adultery, divorce,remarriage and legitimacy . Think that kind of sorts it out!

Glorianny Sun 08-Jan-23 19:38:50

I think the whole premise of a split rests on the fact that most of the branches of the Cof E that are more traditionalist are found in other countries and particularly in Africa. The issue of homosexuality threatened to split the Anglican church some time ago. The issue of accepting Charles as head could cause division again.

Grantanow Mon 23-Jan-23 17:14:41

Isn't this all rather a waste of time. He's already King which also makes him Head of the CofE. The coronation is just flummery and tourism and the Tories want it to divert us from the real issues - cost of living, NHS underfunding, climate change, Brexit mess ups, tax avoidance, etc.