Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jacinda Ardern lets the side down

(217 Posts)
vickymeldrew Thu 19-Jan-23 08:42:48

Disappointed that New Zealand’s Prime Minister has resigned saying she ‘doesn’t have enough left in the tank’.
My guess is that she wants to spend more time with her daughter but doesn’t like to admit it.

Dotty123 Thu 19-Jan-23 08:46:11

I think she couldn’t cope with the ‘dirty’ side of politics - and who could blame her.

nanna8 Thu 19-Jan-23 08:46:53

She has been a good PM ,wish we could have had someone like her over the past few years. I don’t think she should be condemned for leaving, who knows what is happening in her private life? A shame she couldn’t have waited until their elections but so be it. When you gotta go,you gotta go.

fancythat Thu 19-Jan-23 08:47:11

I'm thinking she has been offered a job elsewhere? WEF? UN?

AGAA4 Thu 19-Jan-23 08:50:48

I admire her for leaving when she feels she has no more to give.

Galaxy Thu 19-Jan-23 08:53:30

The polls indicate she wouldnt win the next election though nanna.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Jan-23 08:55:03

Galaxy

That was my first thought.

I wish her well

Casdon Thu 19-Jan-23 08:57:59

What a mean heading. What side has she let down?
Admitting that you have no more to give and stepping down at that point is admirable whatever you think of somebody’s politics or how well they have done the job.

Zoejory Thu 19-Jan-23 08:59:00

Galaxy

Exactly

And there's many New Zealanders who are not happy with how she's managed certain things either.

SuzieHi Thu 19-Jan-23 08:59:49

She seems to have done a good job and has given at least 6 years to it. She recognises she’s had enough- good luck to her in her new ventures whatever they are

Katie59 Thu 19-Jan-23 09:02:21

She did a good job but hasn't got the energy to fight an election, if she showed weakness she would have lost anyway.
Having a baby and all the responsibilities of running the country is too much for anyone, one that men don’t have to face.

FannyCornforth Thu 19-Jan-23 09:05:41

Casdon

What a mean heading. What side has she let down?
Admitting that you have no more to give and stepping down at that point is admirable whatever you think of somebody’s politics or how well they have done the job.

Totally agree.
I was quite astonished at the title.
Not being funny at all (honest!) - vicky, what do you mean by ‘letting the side down’?
I know very little of NZ politics, but I thought that she was admired world over for her strength and quality of leadership

Galaxy Thu 19-Jan-23 09:13:22

Backlash over covid restrictions, and as always when a government begins to see support wane, the economy.

Galaxy Thu 19-Jan-23 09:18:48

Does the letting the side down mean because she is a woman she somehow represents all women (she doesnt). Or do you mean she let the side down (mothers?) for not admitting she wanted to spend time with her child. I dont believe either of these things but am just trying to find out what you mean.

BlueBelle Thu 19-Jan-23 09:23:03

I think she’s done exactly the right thing she’s had a baby whilst in office no one should screw their lives up if they know they ve come to the end of their days

My NZ family say many over there haven’t been impressed with her but who knows she seems to have come out well on the world stage

Cant keep up with our lot without worrying or condemning others

Luckygirl3 Thu 19-Jan-23 09:23:49

Heavens - how unkind. She has given it her all for 6 years and deserves a pat on the back.

BlueBelle Thu 19-Jan-23 09:24:08

Should add I think the title of this thread is pretty nasty

MayBee70 Thu 19-Jan-23 09:26:27

I admire her greatly. I’m sure she’s reached this decision for all the right reasons. I’ll never forget how her first thought, when the pandemic struck, was to protect the people in her country and wished that we’d had politicians that had behaved in that way. Anyway, am I right in thinking she isn’t resigning she just isn’t standing for re election?

volver Thu 19-Jan-23 09:26:46

Another voice of support for Ardern. If a male politician had resigned after 6 years in the job, having to cope with pandemics, terrorists and volcanic eruptions, would someone say they were letting the side down and probably just wanted to be at home with their baby?

Double standards there.

Grammaretto Thu 19-Jan-23 09:28:55

She has been really remarkable with a gift for leadership and a heroine of the world stage but back home many in the business and farming fraternities have been against her "Leftist views" from the start.

I think it is very tough being a woman in politics.
Who can blame her for bowing out after 5+ years
Well done Jacinda!

Dickens Thu 19-Jan-23 09:29:22

volver

Another voice of support for Ardern. If a male politician had resigned after 6 years in the job, having to cope with pandemics, terrorists and volcanic eruptions, would someone say they were letting the side down and probably just wanted to be at home with their baby?

Double standards there.

... this.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Jan-23 09:29:53

I wish some of our politicians would recognise when they have “no more to give”. Some of them barely gave in the first place.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Jan-23 09:30:24

Dickens

volver

Double standards there.

... this.

Yes of course.

TerriBull Thu 19-Jan-23 09:31:54

BlueBelle

I think she’s done exactly the right thing she’s had a baby whilst in office no one should screw their lives up if they know they ve come to the end of their days

My NZ family say many over there haven’t been impressed with her but who knows she seems to have come out well on the world stage

Cant keep up with our lot without worrying or condemning others

Our NZ friends who we met up with recently said the same Bluebell, particularly as to how she handled the pandemic. Performance on a world stage doesn't always correlate to how the population of the country in question feel about their leader.

FannyCornforth Thu 19-Jan-23 09:32:31

Whitewavemark2

I wish some of our politicians would recognise when they have “no more to give”. Some of them barely gave in the first place.

Or indeed had much to give.
Other than an overblown belief in their own non existent talents