Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anyone Volunteering for the 3 day Royal Coronation Event

(162 Posts)
Bea65 Sun 22-Jan-23 12:11:57

How offended are you? Am speechless that Charles/Palace has decided we should all muck in...as a community so that we can enjoy the coronation...thought this was supposed to be a scaled back event but now read/see that its going to be another big jubilee...how out of touch are these people..

Freya5 Sun 22-Jan-23 12:20:36

Not offended at all. Gives whomever wishes, a chance to join in, and be part of a national occasion. Like many people volunteered for the Olympics, and for many other large scale events. If you don’t like it, don’t do it.

Jaxjacky Sun 22-Jan-23 12:23:39

Monday is my volunteering day anyway, so I’m not offended at all Bea65.

Calendargirl Sun 22-Jan-23 12:28:57

Surely the key word is ‘volunteering’?

No one is being forced to do anything.

henetha Sun 22-Jan-23 12:29:56

I don't see why this is offensive.
Many people like the chance to volunteer. But we are not forced to.
I'm looking forward to the whole coronation weekend.

VioletSky Sun 22-Jan-23 12:33:41

Love a bonus Sunday

Skye17 Sun 22-Jan-23 12:35:13

Freya5

Not offended at all. Gives whomever wishes, a chance to join in, and be part of a national occasion. Like many people volunteered for the Olympics, and for many other large scale events. If you don’t like it, don’t do it.

This ^

Grandyma Sun 22-Jan-23 12:36:05

I’m not offended. In these difficult times surely it’s good to have something to celebrate. It’s not compulsory!!

Bea65 Sun 22-Jan-23 12:45:54

My train of thought was not to Offend anyone who volunteers as I used to at a local youth club for young disabled people ..but are the Palace trying to cut down costs on people who would normally be paid for services provided @checkpoints/venue cleaning etc

Anniebach Sun 22-Jan-23 12:49:41

Volunteering in our communities on the Monday

FannyCornforth Sun 22-Jan-23 12:50:54

I’m not happy about it either Bea
I think that it will go down like a lead balloon.
Lord knows what state the country will be in come May.
It could easily backfire and be another nail in the coffin of the monarchy

FannyCornforth Sun 22-Jan-23 12:52:13

No one in my ‘community’ will be doing anything for it.
Nothing happened for the jubilee

volver Sun 22-Jan-23 12:54:25

I'm not offended.

"Gobsmacked" is a better description.

Jaxjacky Sun 22-Jan-23 12:55:09

The actual coronation is Saturday the 6th where people may be needed for checkpoints etc, I emphasise maybe as the police will be much in evidence. Sunday is a concert at Windsor.
Monday the 8th is being suggested as a community day, street parties/picnics etc at which people may volunteer in their community.
www.royal.uk/coronation-weekend-plans-announced

FannyCornforth Sun 22-Jan-23 12:55:34

On second thoughts, put me down for disgusted

Casdon Sun 22-Jan-23 13:00:27

I don’t really care, I’m of the live and let live school of thought on this. I’m not a royalist, so I wouldn’t volunteer, but I expect thousands will want to do it, and I just think good luck to them if they do, I hope they enjoy it. There are lots of royalists in the area I live, so I don’t doubt that locally there will be street parties, decorated shops, fireworks and bunting galore.

VioletSky Sun 22-Jan-23 13:03:11

Bea65

My train of thought was not to Offend anyone who volunteers as I used to at a local youth club for young disabled people ..but are the Palace trying to cut down costs on people who would normally be paid for services provided @checkpoints/venue cleaning etc

Oh...

I see what you mean now

NotSpaghetti Sun 22-Jan-23 13:04:43

There were Jubilee flags and street parties in the villages near me so I feel "let them get on with it".
Not offended. Just not particularly interested.

Riverwalk Sun 22-Jan-23 13:05:41

Isn't it a bid odd that the new king and queen will be crowned in a Church of England ceremony, but said church wouldn't marry them?

volver Sun 22-Jan-23 13:05:47

I thought they were encouraging people to volunteer on the Monday, in their own communities, not at the actual event itself.

Parsley3 Sun 22-Jan-23 13:08:39

Many people have been involved in volunteering for years without being prompted by The Big Help Out. I am not offended but I think the idea is patronising.

Grannynannywanny Sun 22-Jan-23 13:09:38

I’m not offended and not interested in equal measure. So I guess that puts me in the couldn’t give 2 hoots category.

I’m being polite today because it’s Sunday 😇

GrannyGravy13 Sun 22-Jan-23 13:13:32

This is from the Royal website

Fleurpepper Sun 22-Jan-23 13:15:03

LOL NOOOOOOOOOO

volver Sun 22-Jan-23 13:15:47

Anybody got a sick bag? 🤢