Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will you be lighting a candle today?

(66 Posts)
Franbern Fri 27-Jan-23 08:56:13

It is Holocaust Memorial today -(Friday). The time for us to remember the millions of people who died (were murdered), in Nazi slavery/death camps.

We are being asked to light a candle this afternoon at 4 pm both as a memorial for those as well as so many others that have suffered all forms of racism.

Sadly, far too many people who will shake their heads and declare the awfulness of what happened between 1939-1945 do not realise that similar happenings continued and still continue to this day.

De-humanising of other people who may have a different skin colour, eat different foods, speak different language, have different religion, people looking for somewhere safe for themselves and their families- is still continuing everywhere in our world, sadly in the Uk also.

So, if you do light a candle - do spend the time considering what YOU are doing to make evry effort to help to prevent this sort of Holocaust continuing.

Grandmabatty Fri 27-Jan-23 09:03:22

Good post. I will light a candle in memory. Thank you for reminding me.

Smileless2012 Fri 27-Jan-23 09:04:27

I'll light one too.

MiniMoon Fri 27-Jan-23 09:09:09

I will light a candle, thank you for the reminder.
I used to go with my mother to a local lake where Holocaust Remembrance took place. We put little candles into paper boats and set then afloat. A little service took place. It was a beautiful and poignant ceremony.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Jan-23 09:13:06

Definitely we have dear friends who are Jewish, my candle will be lit for all the lost souls.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Jan-23 09:13:55

Mine is brand new this year, ready and waiting.

Susan56 Fri 27-Jan-23 09:31:04

Yes,I will light a candle.Thank you for the reminder.

Lollin Fri 27-Jan-23 09:43:39

Sadly/shamefully this isn’t more widely known. I will light my candle and note it in my diary for the years to come. I don’t know anyone locally who might know why and have never noticed anyone doing this but by lighting my candle it’s one way to spread the fact and remember.

Thank you for posting Franbern.

Shinamae Fri 27-Jan-23 09:48:58

I would’ve lit a candle, but I am at work ..💔✡️

Wyllow3 Fri 27-Jan-23 09:52:27

Yes, and thank you for the reminder.

Grannybags Fri 27-Jan-23 09:54:37

I will now you have reminded me Franbern. Thank you

SachaMac Fri 27-Jan-23 10:01:10

Yes I will do now Franbern I wasn’t aware of this until I read your post 🕯️

toscalily Fri 27-Jan-23 10:09:29

Yes, I will thank you Franbern.

nanaK54 Fri 27-Jan-23 10:10:52

Yes, I will

ExDancer Fri 27-Jan-23 10:11:37

And I'll light one too.

maddyone Fri 27-Jan-23 10:25:07

Of all the horrendous violence that the world has ever seen, I think the worst was the Holocaust. Sadly other ethnic cleansing acts have taken place since, but none so huge as the Holocaust. But we should remember them all.

Redhead56 Fri 27-Jan-23 10:29:22

There will be one lit in this household my DH has Yahrzeit memorial candles. They are often lit until they burn out in memory of family no longer with us.

rafichagran Fri 27-Jan-23 10:29:43

I will too.

Dee1012 Fri 27-Jan-23 10:32:47

There's an excellent documentary on iPlayer 'How the Holocaust Began'
It features James Bulgin, who created the Holocaust Galleries at the Imperial War Museum and investigates a story left unexplored - thousands of men, women and children shot and buried by the Nazis in thousands of trenches and ditches, dug in fields and forests across eastern Europe. This was often unrecorded and uncounted, and the victims lost to history.

Yammy Fri 27-Jan-23 10:40:17

I will light a candle.
I have Jewish friends, some of who escaped the Holocaust because they had come to England to escape the Russian Pogroms. Others lost many of their extended family in the Holocaust. We should all remember and learn a lesson.

Patsy70 Fri 27-Jan-23 10:47:37

Thank you Franbern, I will also light a candle.

Shelflife Fri 27-Jan-23 10:58:32

Yes thank you Franbern, I will light a candle at 4pm and remember all those or who were killed in the death camps .

grandMattie Fri 27-Jan-23 11:11:28

I shall.
Curiously, I am reading a book called "The Tatooist of Auschwitz". Very humbling.

Jaberwok Fri 27-Jan-23 11:47:59

I think it was so horrendous and for me it's still difficult to comprehend how a civilised European country could become so completely evil. Almost as if my mind can't quite take it in. After the war, my mother who had been widowed, was very keen on 'Peace and Reconciliation,' which led us to make contact with, and friends of, quite a number of German families, visiting each others country and so on. It opened my eyes to the fact that not all Germans were wicked, some resisted and paid a heavy price, others did what they could to support the persecuted. All felt enormous guilt about their country. Yes I shall light a candle today, it must never never happen again.

Davida1968 Fri 27-Jan-23 11:52:45

Definitely will light a candle this afternoon. Like many other GNs here, my parents were in the army in the war (yes, Mum too). They always stressed the importance of standing up for everyone, against tyranny.