Gransnet forums

News & politics

Zelensky visits Britain

(101 Posts)
maddyone Wed 08-Feb-23 13:46:33

God bless this man and his poor beleaguered nation. Zelensky made a powerful speech to MPs and Peers in Westminster Hall, thanking Britain for what we have done. He asked for planes to defeat Putin. Putin must be defeated because if he is not, he will not stop at Ukraine. NATO countries have been under spending for years on their proposed budgets, shame on them. We all saw the writing on the wall, the killings in Salisbury, the killing of Alexander Litvinenko using a cup of tea laced with polonium in a London hotel, the annexation of Crimea, the forces amassed on Ukraine’s borders whilst telling the world that no invasion was intended. Putin does not respect borders, even the borders of our own country. He must be defeated.

Granny23 Thu 09-Feb-23 17:39:12

I may be missing something, but what I find very strange is that in the midst of an all out War, leaders e.g. Boris, Biden and Zelensky, just jump on a plane and visit each other, rather than having a Zoom or telephone call. Surely with the publicity surrounding these visits they are putting themselves, the crew and their entourage in unnecessary danger?

maddyone Thu 09-Feb-23 17:48:35

Good post Maizie.

maddyone Thu 09-Feb-23 17:54:55

I believe Zelensky came to England via our military aircraft. It would have been very safe for him. Likewise when leaders have visited Ukraine they have gone in via trains from Poland under tight security. I commented yesterday about the cavalcade of vehicles accompanying Zelensky as he moved around London. He is a target and security would have been extremely tight.
Churchill visited troops in Europe during WW2. I believe our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan were visited by members of the government. It is important for morale and security is extremely tight, but it is possible, although there is always risk.

ronib Thu 09-Feb-23 18:06:04

MaizieD so of course I was alluding to the many changes in geographical ownership from the beginning of time.

I find it remarkable that we have so little understanding of the actual situation in Ukraine. I am informed that one third of Ukrainians think of themselves as Russians . This is not being discussed here in the UK.

Also you have not even thought about the completely senseless loss of young life. This to me is completely unacceptable in the 21st century.

HousePlantQueen Thu 09-Feb-23 19:06:59

MayBee70

So you think everyone in Ukraine should just move somewhere else?

Maybe they should get on a dinghy and come into Kent?

MayBee70 Thu 09-Feb-23 19:13:39

ronib seems to have inside information about Ukraine and wants to educate us hmm

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Feb-23 19:29:07

I believe Zelensky came to England via our military aircraft
Yes, of course he did.

And it's obvious as there was no other way.
BA flights, and all other commercial flights, were suspended a year ago.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 09-Feb-23 19:29:29

MayBee70

ronib seems to have inside information about Ukraine and wants to educate us hmm

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

ronib Thu 09-Feb-23 19:31:17

It’s obvious that someone needs to sit down and discuss where the Ukrainian Russians want to live in Ukraine and where the Ukrainians are going to stay.
It’s called give and take. Small children
are taught this.You negotiate.

The only alternative is to completely decimate your population which really isn’t very clever is it?

ronib Thu 09-Feb-23 19:32:32

MayBee70

I wouldn’t know where to begin.

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Feb-23 19:36:20

ronib

MayBee70

Thank goodness !

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Feb-23 19:37:57

I typed a very well-thought out post (well, I thought it was 😀) but I've noticed it sometimes doesn't appear if someone else is posting simultaneously.

MaizieD Thu 09-Feb-23 19:39:20

ronib

It’s obvious that someone needs to sit down and discuss where the Ukrainian Russians want to live in Ukraine and where the Ukrainians are going to stay.
It’s called give and take. Small children
are taught this.You negotiate.

The only alternative is to completely decimate your population which really isn’t very clever is it?

Perhaps, ronib, like the English who live in Scotland and Wales, or NI and in Europe, or the Scots who live in England or Wales or NI etc. Or the Welsh who live etc.etc. they are perfectly happy to live in Ukraine and get on fine with their neighbours or colleagues of whatever ethnic origin they might be...

Perhaps the British could pop across the Irish sea and take over the ROI on the grounds that it was part of the UK 100 years ago. There must be a fine old ethnic mix in there...

You are being absurd.

ronib Thu 09-Feb-23 19:53:01

No you are absurd MaizieD.
It’s obvious that some agreement will eventually be found and I would like to see it soon. This fiasco has gone on long enough.
The two leaders really need to sit down and talk.

Quokka Thu 09-Feb-23 19:58:27

The man and his fellow Ukrainians are an example to us all. They should get everything they ask for. Someone has to stand up to Putin and they have grasped the nettle.

On the shoulders of giants.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 09-Feb-23 20:03:57

ronib

No you are absurd MaizieD.
It’s obvious that some agreement will eventually be found and I would like to see it soon. This fiasco has gone on long enough.
The two leaders really need to sit down and talk.

I suggest you email President Putin & Zelensky.

I doubt your suggestions will be well received.

pascal30 Thu 09-Feb-23 20:06:52

Quokka

The man and his fellow Ukrainians are an example to us all. They should get everything they ask for. Someone has to stand up to Putin and they have grasped the nettle.

On the shoulders of giants.

or kings!!

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Feb-23 20:16:26

The two leaders really need to sit down and talk

I suggest you phone Putin and Lavrov and suggest it, they may listen to you.

I thought you did as you seem to making plenty of suggestions on GN.

ronib Thu 09-Feb-23 20:25:18

Well given we have an Archbishop of Canterbury who is too busy wondering about the gender of God the Father and God the Son, someone needs to point out the insanity of the situation.

I had hoped the religious leaders might have had something to say about the sanctity of life. But that concept isn’t in much evidence either here on this forum or on the battlefields of Ukraine.

ronib Thu 09-Feb-23 20:26:44

Callistemon21

^The two leaders really need to sit down and talk^

I suggest you phone Putin and Lavrov and suggest it, they may listen to you.

I thought you did as you seem to making plenty of suggestions on GN.

I don’t think I would be connected! I am working on it.

NanKate Thu 09-Feb-23 20:33:02

I know I will get a battering but here goes.

Well done BJ for keeping Ukraine and its dire situation to the forefront of our minds. Maybe he will persuade RS to send out wings as soon as is possible.

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Feb-23 20:43:24

ronib

Well given we have an Archbishop of Canterbury who is too busy wondering about the gender of God the Father and God the Son, someone needs to point out the insanity of the situation.

I had hoped the religious leaders might have had something to say about the sanctity of life. But that concept isn’t in much evidence either here on this forum or on the battlefields of Ukraine.

I won't disagree with that.

The Archbishop did visit Kyiv in November.
www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/news/news-and-statements/archbishop-canterbury-begins-visit-ukraine

He also called for an end to the war in his Christmas address.
God doesn't seem to be listening.

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Feb-23 20:45:53

Actually, I did disagree 🙂
But he has been quiet lately. Or has he? It depends on what gets reported.

MaizieD Thu 09-Feb-23 20:49:37

The Russian Orthodox Church seems to be right behind Putin and his war.

Perhaps you'd better drop them a line about the sanctity of life, ronib.

ronib Thu 09-Feb-23 22:05:14

Around 300000 troops in all estimated to have died. Still not over.

How many grieving widows, mothers, fathers and children?

The Archbishop of the Russian Church has no choice I imagine in his alleged support of this ill advised war.