Gransnet forums

News & politics

So letting in a bit of reality - does this mean it is the beginning of the end of Brexit

(280 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 11:17:04

So Sunak has said this morning that NI is the best placed country in the world because it has access to the EU single market and the U.K. market.

So what now? Sunak has said out loud that membership is the best thing for NI. What is stopping Scotland demanding the same? What about us in England. I’d quite like what NI has.

Oreo Tue 28-Feb-23 21:49:31

It will eventually MaizieD just as it did before we ever went into the EU.Am tempted to say ‘anything else is just magical thinking’ 😂 suspect you mean wishful thinking tho, not magical.

maddyone Wed 01-Mar-23 08:39:53

Thanks for info ladies.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Mar-23 10:22:39

Anyone feeling sorry for Steve Baker?

Fleurpepper Wed 01-Mar-23 10:56:20

NO I just could not. He has led the ERG into getting us all in this terrible mess.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Mar-23 11:01:02

An apology and recognition of the harm he has caused so many businesses and people wouldn’t go amiss from the self styled Brexit hard man. Then perhaps I would feel a modicum of sympathy for him.

But now ? no

Kalu Wed 01-Mar-23 11:13:37

The beginning of the end of the United Kingdom. The other three nations of which, who were unwillingly dragged out of the EU given the message, we will just have to accept our lot!😡

Grantanow Wed 01-Mar-23 11:15:41

Brexit won't be reversed and we would never get the same advantageous terms negotiated by Thatcher if we rejoined. The best way forward is to gradually negotiate a new relationship with the EU. That won't put us back where we were in terms of trade as we will be playing catch up but would be an improvement and Sunak has opened the door to more cooperation on scientific research, for example. Bozo and the ERG headbangers have had their day and it's now the turn of reasonable politicians using the traditional diplomatic skills to go forward. The UK playing victim has not been an edifying spectacle especially as it previously had a leading role in Europe.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Mar-23 12:40:26

James O'Brien

Self-pitying Brexiters, whose vicious depictions of ‘Remainers’ were as dishonest as they were dangerous, are now pathetically seeking sympathy for the consequences of Brexit! This, I confess, is a plot twist I did not foresee. The narcissism of these saboteurs is off the charts.

Fleurpepper Wed 01-Mar-23 12:47:23

Whitewavemark2

Anyone feeling sorry for Steve Baker?

Many can't stand James O'Brien- because he says it as it is.

And he is so right, again

fb.watch/i-0er53mc9/

flump Wed 01-Mar-23 12:53:40

In an idle moment, I noted that an anagram of ERG and DUP is PURGED! smile

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Mar-23 12:55:30

flump

In an idle moment, I noted that an anagram of ERG and DUP is PURGED! smile

🙂

Katie59 Wed 01-Mar-23 18:31:10

Whitewavemark2

James O'Brien

Self-pitying Brexiters, whose vicious depictions of ‘Remainers’ were as dishonest as they were dangerous, are now pathetically seeking sympathy for the consequences of Brexit! This, I confess, is a plot twist I did not foresee. The narcissism of these saboteurs is off the charts.

Just because a friend voted differently should not spoil a friendship - you just don’t discuss that topic, the rule, don’t discuss “sex, politics or religion” is a good mantra.

Unless in a anonymous forum like GN

Fleurpepper Wed 01-Mar-23 19:17:05

Well, not always. Depends how much their vote has affected you and yours, and /or your strongest beliefs and what the vote was based on.

There are many things that happened in history that broke friendships, even families. Civil wars. So there is a limit- always.

varian Wed 01-Mar-23 19:20:21

I only have one friend who was so misguided as to have voted "leave" in the fraudulent referendum of 2016.

She now has no compunction about admitting she was wrong.

And she and I are still good friends.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Mar-23 20:38:33

Katie59

Whitewavemark2

James O'Brien

Just because a friend voted differently should not spoil a friendship - you just don’t discuss that topic, the rule, don’t discuss “sex, politics or religion” is a good mantra.

Unless in a anonymous forum like GN

O’Brien was talking about high profile people like Baker, Vine, newspaper proprietors etc.

Not friends.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Mar-23 20:38:51

In other words.

Influencers.

Fleurpepper Wed 01-Mar-23 21:30:28

varian

I only have one friend who was so misguided as to have voted "leave" in the fraudulent referendum of 2016.

She now has no compunction about admitting she was wrong.

And she and I are still good friends.

Good. But that just depends, how and why, and how much it is particularly affecting your dreams and future, etc.

Let's take another example. What if your 'friend' had voted for Trump. And what if she came out with the most racist comments about Obama, and lies and slander. And other black people like him. And told you he was an AlQuaida plant.

At some point, it is fair to say that a friendship cannot endure this kind of beliefs and attitude. There is a line- which, when crossed, is ... crossed!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Mar-23 03:56:52

Yes I do agree, there are lines that cannot be crossed as far as I am concerned, and we would have so little if anything in common that I would simply distance myself.

nanna8 Thu 02-Mar-23 05:16:31

I’d be careful what you wish for looking at Starmer, however.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Mar-23 06:52:21

nanna8

Let’s see how high the bar is for Starmer to step over

Cameron - introduced austerity, not because of economic necessity but was purely ideologically driven, resulting in the running down of every single public service to a level not seen for decades. Then because of his spineless fear of the ERG and the mirage of the threat from UKIP, instead of standing up to them he had a referendum based on lies and fraud resulting in the most divided country I have seen in my lifetime and an economy going down the pan.

Oh then of course after much back stabbing - along came May - who although a remainer, tried with comical effort to appease the head bangers and the DUP with spectacular failure - her premiership resulted in - nothing

Then along came Johnson - what can I say? Fraudster, liar, backstabber, immoral bundle of flab whose only redeeming feature seems to be that he likes a good time, including partying with the KGB. Achieved less than nothing except a NI agreement that was scrapped asap, every other achievement he claims was either carried out by other people or didn’t happen.

Along came Liz Truss- what can I say?

Finally Sunak - who because of the past spectacular failures does not have to try very hard to look pretty good. However, he is implicated in and bound up with every disaster that has gone before. A little recognition of some of the chaos he helped impose on the beleaguered country wouldn’t go amiss and of course his loyalty does not go so far as to pay most of his tax into the country he is governing over.

So you see the bar is more or less at ground level for Starmer

I am more than willing to give him a chance. Anything else is oblivion for the U.K. imo.

MaizieD Thu 02-Mar-23 08:29:49

Whitewavemark2

nanna8

Let’s see how high the bar is for Starmer to step over

Cameron - introduced austerity, not because of economic necessity but was purely ideologically driven, resulting in the running down of every single public service to a level not seen for decades. Then because of his spineless fear of the ERG and the mirage of the threat from UKIP, instead of standing up to them he had a referendum based on lies and fraud resulting in the most divided country I have seen in my lifetime and an economy going down the pan.

Oh then of course after much back stabbing - along came May - who although a remainer, tried with comical effort to appease the head bangers and the DUP with spectacular failure - her premiership resulted in - nothing

Then along came Johnson - what can I say? Fraudster, liar, backstabber, immoral bundle of flab whose only redeeming feature seems to be that he likes a good time, including partying with the KGB. Achieved less than nothing except a NI agreement that was scrapped asap, every other achievement he claims was either carried out by other people or didn’t happen.

Along came Liz Truss- what can I say?

Finally Sunak - who because of the past spectacular failures does not have to try very hard to look pretty good. However, he is implicated in and bound up with every disaster that has gone before. A little recognition of some of the chaos he helped impose on the beleaguered country wouldn’t go amiss and of course his loyalty does not go so far as to pay most of his tax into the country he is governing over.

So you see the bar is more or less at ground level for Starmer

I am more than willing to give him a chance. Anything else is oblivion for the U.K. imo.

👏👏👏👏

Romola Thu 02-Mar-23 11:46:07

Sunak gushed about what a wonderful position NI is now in: access to both the EU and UK markets. The rest of the UK had that before the self-inflicted disaster that the Conservatives brought about.
We can only hope that Starmer and his now apparently reasonable Labour party will go some way to adjusting relations with the EU. I don't hold out much hope of rejoining the EU, however, at least not in my lifetime.

usuallyright Thu 02-Mar-23 11:58:15

The best thing Britain ever did was to leave the EU. Why for heaven's sake would we want to go back into the EU and put our necks back in the noose?

Katie59 Thu 02-Mar-23 11:59:44

Having a “friendly” relationship with the EU and adopting some of their standards will go a long way to improve trade. That is not happening currently, in fact the current plan is to diverge from EU rules, a lot has got to change before we will notice easier times, maybe 5yrs plus.

Katie59 Thu 02-Mar-23 12:02:51

usuallyright

The best thing Britain ever did was to leave the EU. Why for heaven's sake would we want to go back into the EU and put our necks back in the noose?

At last someone that is going to list the “Benefits of Brexit”

I’ve been waiting a long time!.