Gransnet forums

News & politics

So letting in a bit of reality - does this mean it is the beginning of the end of Brexit

(280 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 11:17:04

So Sunak has said this morning that NI is the best placed country in the world because it has access to the EU single market and the U.K. market.

So what now? Sunak has said out loud that membership is the best thing for NI. What is stopping Scotland demanding the same? What about us in England. I’d quite like what NI has.

growstuff Tue 07-Mar-23 11:55:06

Ahem Maizie! But Saffron Walden does its best to disassociate itself from the rest of Essex, which many round here consider distinctly "chav". I would have expected better from you, if you really know the area.

MaizieD Tue 07-Mar-23 11:58:09

I keep forgetting the London hinterland. I'm from NE Essex. blush

M0nica Tue 07-Mar-23 12:17:04

I am nt talking about people who vote Labour, I am talking about MPS, party apparatchiks, which is where MP's are chosen from and all around them.

I have just discovered this report researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7483/CBP-7483.pdf It is absolutely fascinating. I would draw your attention to tables on 24-27 and the associated text.

Apart from the minor variabilities between the two parties, note in particular the high proportion of those who are now MPs, who came into Parliament through working in politically centred jobs (heading: Instrumental) 55% of Conservatives, 74% of Labour and 63% of Lib/Dems.

If we needed evidence that our MPs (all parties) enter politics as a profession and have little or np experience of any other, this is it.

If we want to know why politics is the incompetent shambles it is at the monent , this is it. Most MPs, of all parties, are making politics their careers and are more interested in scrambling for promotion than serving their constituents and their country.

Of course many people go into politics for their own ends, and always have, but I think MPs whose self interests are wide and varied, from their profession, to their business, their union, their social group, provide better government than MPs, joined in one self interest, their political career.

varian Sun 12-Mar-23 19:57:28

Sadly there are still people who need to be reminded about the lies we were told in 2016

twitter.com/Gonch2020/status/1588678342848323584?t=zz9oUyD2WcbGoTZBzVaAlg&s=19

Urmstongran Sun 12-Mar-23 20:54:51

Well I admire Kate Hoey. She’s Labour. Voted Brexit and is very knowledgeable and interesting to listen to when being interviewed.

Katie59 Mon 13-Mar-23 06:59:55

“Of course many people go into politics for their own ends, and always have, but I think MPs whose self interests are wide and varied, from their profession, to their business, their union, their social group, provide better government than MPs, joined in one self interest, their political career.”

There are of course some that want to improve society, they do not last long because they have to toe the party line and sell their soul to get selected as a candidate, then sell that to the voters.

MaizieD Mon 13-Mar-23 09:45:46

Urmstongran

Well I admire Kate Hoey. She’s Labour. Voted Brexit and is very knowledgeable and interesting to listen to when being interviewed.

Other opinions of Kate Hooey are available 😂

varian Thu 16-Mar-23 08:12:00

Another brexit bonus

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/another-manufacturer-bypasses-britain-because-of-brexit/

growstuff Thu 16-Mar-23 10:41:12

MaizieD

NW Essex isn't London hinterland.

MaizieD Thu 16-Mar-23 14:15:57

growstuff

MaizieD

NW Essex isn't London hinterland.

Well, growstuff, I've consulted the 2019 GE map and all the Labour seats are London hinterland. Ilford, Barking, Dagenham etc.

The rest of Essex is solid blue.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50770798

I left Essex 50 years ago and even then, driving to London on the A12 these places were indistinguishable from the adjacent London boroughs. My home town, 60 miles away, had GLC overspill housing.

How are you defining 'hinterland'?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Mar-23 15:30:46

Essex is one county I have never visited. Colchester might be worth a look I always think.

Fleurpepper Thu 16-Mar-23 16:05:57

MaizieD

Urmstongran

Other opinions of Kate Hooey are available 😂

Oh indeedy!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Mar-23 16:10:30

Whitewavemark2

Essex is one county I have never visited. Colchester might be worth a look I always think.

There are many beautiful places to visit in Essex. In the countryside there are lots of hidden gem villages and hamlets.

Fleurpepper Thu 16-Mar-23 16:23:46

I used to take my foreign students to Colchester, for Roman history.

MaizieD Thu 16-Mar-23 17:53:20

Fleurpepper

Colchester was lovely until the council drove a ring road through it in the 70s grin They even bashed a hole in the Roman wall...

It does still have some nice bits, lots of history and a superb park. But a rather dead town centre. And Will Quince is its MP.

It is worth a visit, Wwmk2. If you ever plan to visit, PM me...

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Mar-23 17:58:18

MaizieD

Fleurpepper

Colchester was lovely until the council drove a ring road through it in the 70s grin They even bashed a hole in the Roman wall...

It does still have some nice bits, lots of history and a superb park. But a rather dead town centre. And Will Quince is its MP.

It is worth a visit, Wwmk2. If you ever plan to visit, PM me...

🙂

Fleurpepper Fri 17-Mar-23 11:39:53

Still, we hear from some people about how the UK was able to have the Covid vaccine before EU countries, and that it is a massive (and so far the only ..) benefit of Brexit. STILL and yet surely everyone by now knows that this is untrue, no? Here is the proof, from multiple sources, including our most senior medical officer

youtu.be/qJcpio8l2tg

varian Sat 18-Mar-23 08:26:44

The brexit government and pro-brexit media have little interest in the truth.

They have learned from Trump that you just keep repeating the same lie and your supporters keep repeating it too and it becomes "their truth".

Truly Orwellian!

Fleurpepper Sat 18-Mar-23 08:33:33

Scary, truly.

Fleurpepper Mon 20-Mar-23 15:45:46

A new poll shows that 84% !!!

is now in favour of mutual Free movement with EU. Just amazing.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 20-Mar-23 16:05:14

Fleurpepper

A new poll shows that 84% !!!

is now in favour of mutual Free movement with EU. Just amazing.

Details of the poll please?

Fleurpepper Mon 20-Mar-23 16:46:33

Just one of so many articles on the subject

yorkshirebylines.co.uk/news/brexit/mutual-free-movement-for-uk-and-eu-citizens-supported-by-up-to-84-of-brits-in-stunning-new-poll/

GrannyGravy13 Mon 20-Mar-23 16:57:49

Thank you Fleurpepper

varian Wed 22-Mar-23 07:34:40

Yet another brexit scandal - almost half a billion pounds wasted on unused food inspection sites.

inews.co.uk/news/brexit-food-inspection-sites-uk-taxpayers-cash-never-used-2223985

varian Thu 23-Mar-23 13:04:04

Brexit has ruined everything, everywhere, all at once.

Jeremy Hunt’s budget shows that leaving the EU is only paying off in a parallel universe

Named best picture at the Oscars, Everything Everywhere All At Once introduces us to a woman who leads different lives in several parallel universes.

Britain is also living in its own alternate reality. There is the surreal world where the government lives, in which Brexit is going absolutely to plan and delivering success after success. And the real world inhabited by the rest of us, in which everyone can see the damage that leaving the EU is doing to our economy.

The budget allowed us to slip between these two universes, just as best actress winner Michelle Yeoh does in the movie. In one was the rictus grin of Jeremy Hunt declaring everything to be absolutely fine. And in the other was the small print in the budget calculations by the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) showing just how not-fine everything really is.

Overall a look at our post-Brexit universe shows that we have lower growth because of Brexit, higher taxes because of Brexit, and still have worse public services because of Brexit. The economy is being choked by red tape because of Brexit and is short of workers because of Brexit; so the government is using that as an excuse to throw billions at the wealthiest in pension tax cuts to create a few thousand jobs, which would have been filled effortlessly pre-Brexit by immigration from
the continent.

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-has-ruined-everything-everywhere-all-at-once/