Gransnet forums

News & politics

Banning a children's art work is extreme.

(56 Posts)
Glorianny Sun 05-Mar-23 10:58:31

Chelsea and Westminster hospital used to have a piece of art which was designed by Palestinian children. The children drew images and Chelsea students printed them onto plates. It has been removed because some of the images were considered anti-Israeli. and the children are apparently potential terrorists. (not the victims of war they really are) There is a petition to reinstate it. Please sign chng.it/ngbJhMkpYS

MaizieD Sun 05-Mar-23 11:10:50

I'd like to see the art works before I decide whether or not to sign.

Are there any images on line?

vampirequeen Sun 05-Mar-23 11:29:10

If you click on the link there are small images of the plates.

This is an article from the Independent

www.independent.co.uk/voices/chelsea-westminster-hospital-israel-palestine-children-b2291888.html

Zoejory Sun 05-Mar-23 11:29:37

It seems understandable when you read the reasons behind the decision.

maddyone Sun 05-Mar-23 11:34:45

Like Maizie I’d have to see the images first.

paddyann54 Sun 05-Mar-23 11:35:56

I'll sign, the world has ignored the abhorrent treatment of the Palestinian people since the mess made of the Israeli state in the post war days by Western leaders who made bad flawed decisions.Boundaries have consistently been ignored as have UN resolutions .Its not acceptable .

I and all the people I know are not anti semitic BUT we want justice for the Palestinians who continue to be treated in the most appalling way every day by the Israeli state .

I'm a member of a Scots for Palestine group which has a lot of Scottish jews who march with us as they too see the
injustice of the ongoing crimes against people who have had their homes stolen,their lives destroyed .

We all know and understand the unacceptable WW11 holocaust .....BUT surely people who suffered that should have empathy for others and not treat them in a similar way .
Rather than banning childrens drawings they should be publicising the situation for these people who are in an unending hell .

MaizieD Sun 05-Mar-23 11:54:39

Sadly the small images of the plates are too small to make out much detail.

I'll have to do a search.

Septimia Sun 05-Mar-23 12:01:31

Well said, paddyann.

I, too, would like to see the designs on the plates before signing, though.

VioletSky Sun 05-Mar-23 12:09:55

Here they are

Kalu Sun 05-Mar-23 12:16:17

Hear, hear paddyann

Glorianny Sun 05-Mar-23 12:43:34

This is a link to the Chelsea Hospital School website. www.cchs.org.uk/schoolnews/crossing-borders-exhibition-taken-down
You can see the image VioletSky has posted and a view of the gallery showing how each plate had an explanation next to it.
Thanks for your post paddyanne
I do wonder how peace will ever be achieved if the hand of friendship is not extended to the children growing up in Gaza.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Mar-23 12:48:59

The hospital is definitely behind the curb as far as the U.K. is concerned.

Senior Jews in the U.K. and the USA are very alarmed at the far right Israeli government and the way it is treating Palestine, including senior Jews who have been strong supporters of Israel.

Glorianny Sun 05-Mar-23 12:53:46

Whitewavemark2

The hospital is definitely behind the curb as far as the U.K. is concerned.

Senior Jews in the U.K. and the USA are very alarmed at the far right Israeli government and the way it is treating Palestine, including senior Jews who have been strong supporters of Israel.

So is Starmer then. His support for the far right in Israel is astounding. He has shared platforms with people who have been condemned for their views.
www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/article/how-starmers-labour-reversed-40-years-of-progress-on-israel-and-palestine/

pascal30 Sun 05-Mar-23 15:55:38

paddyann54

I'll sign, the world has ignored the abhorrent treatment of the Palestinian people since the mess made of the Israeli state in the post war days by Western leaders who made bad flawed decisions.Boundaries have consistently been ignored as have UN resolutions .Its not acceptable .

I and all the people I know are not anti semitic BUT we want justice for the Palestinians who continue to be treated in the most appalling way every day by the Israeli state .

I'm a member of a Scots for Palestine group which has a lot of Scottish jews who march with us as they too see the
injustice of the ongoing crimes against people who have had their homes stolen,their lives destroyed .

We all know and understand the unacceptable WW11 holocaust .....BUT surely people who suffered that should have empathy for others and not treat them in a similar way .
Rather than banning childrens drawings they should be publicising the situation for these people who are in an unending hell .

I completely agree Paddyanne.. I'm a member of the Free Palestine Group down here.. It's completely unacceptable how Palestinians have been imprisoned for so many years.. How can childrens art be considered a threat..

pascal30 Sun 05-Mar-23 15:56:17

and I've signed obviously

NotSpaghetti Sun 05-Mar-23 16:09:36

Here is more about the making of the plates znd hhe 2012 exhibition of them as part of "Noor" at Leighton House.
www.scoop.it/topic/plate-project

Glorianny Sun 05-Mar-23 17:28:58

Thanks to everyone who has posted and signed. Children in Gaza are in a terrible situation and should be permitted to express themselves without censure.

Aveline Sun 05-Mar-23 17:31:27

Hear hear. I've signed. I'm appalled at the situation in Palestine and simply cannot understand how it has been allowed.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Mar-23 17:36:27

The only thing that I can find about Starmer and the expulsion of Jews is spin from the far left.

I need to make my, own mind up but can’t find any explanation from Starmer’s office etc.

I’m thinking of writing to my MP to give me the facts of the situation, so that I can decide for myself.

Hithere Sun 05-Mar-23 17:49:34

What Israel is doing is trying to rewrite history

Shame on them

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Mar-23 17:52:05

It seems to me that a very large percentage if not the majority of Israeli inhabitants are alarmed at its government as it lurches towards fascism.

Utterly ironic.

Glorianny Sun 05-Mar-23 17:53:42

Whitewavemark2

The only thing that I can find about Starmer and the expulsion of Jews is spin from the far left.

I need to make my, own mind up but can’t find any explanation from Starmer’s office etc.

I’m thinking of writing to my MP to give me the facts of the situation, so that I can decide for myself.

WWMK2 I take it you don't think the Financial Times is Left wing? This is about the Israeli government www.ft.com/content/2a1555bd-6831-4c41-9d74-0a3dec994d9c
I then suggest you read Wiki about Hotovely the Israeli Ambassador who does not believe the Palestinians have any rights, wants to see all the country an Israeli state, and who Starmer chose to share a platform with. In spite of the fact that the Labour party had judged Israel to be an apartheid state.
It isn't left wing propaganda it is an alarming move which virtually agrees with the eradication of the Palestinian people.
Hotovely denies the "Nakba" ever happened.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Mar-23 18:22:16

The FT is behind a paywall.

But you are muddying the issues.

The Israeli government is imo acting like a fascist dictatorship and I am very alarmed, and have been for years over the treatment of Palestinians and Palestine. I am absolutely conversant with the history and current situation.

However the Starmer issue has not been explained adequately imo and before I jump in with high dudgeon and criticism, I need a much better explanation than I have so far seen.

Glorianny Sun 05-Mar-23 18:44:11

Whitewavemark2

The FT is behind a paywall.

But you are muddying the issues.

The Israeli government is imo acting like a fascist dictatorship and I am very alarmed, and have been for years over the treatment of Palestinians and Palestine. I am absolutely conversant with the history and current situation.

However the Starmer issue has not been explained adequately imo and before I jump in with high dudgeon and criticism, I need a much better explanation than I have so far seen.

I've never seen anything complicated about supporting an oppressed people and criticising the oppressor.
Nor about someone sharing a platform with a representative of a government who has openly declared her intention to take over the whole country and denies other peoples their citizenship and human rights. Even denying their history and persecution.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Mar-23 18:49:42

Hmm