Gransnet forums

News & politics

Banning a children's art work is extreme.

(57 Posts)
Glorianny Sun 05-Mar-23 10:58:31

Chelsea and Westminster hospital used to have a piece of art which was designed by Palestinian children. The children drew images and Chelsea students printed them onto plates. It has been removed because some of the images were considered anti-Israeli. and the children are apparently potential terrorists. (not the victims of war they really are) There is a petition to reinstate it. Please sign chng.it/ngbJhMkpYS

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Mar-23 11:31:53

Our focus should be on Netanyahu whose fascist policies are causing untold misery to a whole diaspora in Israel and suppressed population in Palestine.

Glorianny Mon 06-Mar-23 11:51:36

Whitewavemark2

Our focus should be on Netanyahu whose fascist policies are causing untold misery to a whole diaspora in Israel and suppressed population in Palestine.

Of course they should which is one reason I posted the petition, because it seems to me that those policies are being allowed to influence British matters and that is very worrying.

Dinahmo Mon 06-Mar-23 12:20:01

I think it's outrageous that the pictures have been taken down for the following reason. " A display of artwork by Palestinian children at Chelsea and Westminster hospital in London has been removed after a complaint by a pro-Israel organisation, which said it made Jewish patients feel “vulnerable, harassed and victimised”. "

It's been said before on here and elsewhere that there is a difference between anti Zionism and anti Semitism and many people (not on here) appear to be unaware of that. It's about time that less support was given to the Israeli govt and more to the people of Palestine.

Fleurpepper Mon 06-Mar-23 13:38:00

Whitewavemark2

His replacement is even worse.

Wyllow3 Mon 06-Mar-23 13:39:33

I agree: however the reason they don't is because massive complex forces are at work here in terms of political and cultural world forces.

Add to that the other peoples whose needs to be protected and our involvement needed are great: starving to death in Africa, largely ignored because its "Africa" - the Uyghur genocide in China: the continuing appalling daily lives in war torn Syria and other parts of the world: the murdering of those who object to the regime in Iran: the daily slaughter in Ukraine.

This is not an excuse, btw, these are reasons, all reasons that point towards big international forces at work.

In 1967 when the first incursions happened in Palestine, it occupied a major concern on the world stage, it's now one of many for deep concern. Recent attempt to broker peace have failed after days: its very clear we should shout and shout for humanitarian responses, and against the Israeli State's further incursions: but there are problems with having a current working government in Palestine.

Its all very troubling, because there is still anti-semitism in the UK. I truly would need to have a close look at the plates although I cannot imagine those putting on the show would have allowed anything anti-semitic to pass the boundary.

Fleurpepper Mon 06-Mar-23 13:47:49

From BBC News

Often labelled an ultra-nationalist (he has described himself as "more right-wing" than Mr Netanyahu), Naftali Bennett is outspoken in his advocacy of Israel as the Jewish nation state and Jewish historical and religious claims to the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Syrian Golan Heights - territory occupied by Israel since the 1967 Middle East war.

He has long championed the right of Jewish settlement in the West Bank (he was once the head of the Yesha Council, the political representative group for Jewish settlers), although he has said Israel has no claims on Gaza (from which Israel withdrew troops and settlers in 2005). More than 600,000 Jews live in about 140 settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, considered illegal by almost the entire international community, though Israel disputes this.

The fate of the settlements is one of the most contentious issues between Israel and the Palestinians, who seek their removal and the establishment of an independent state in the West Bank and Gaza, with East Jerusalem as its capital. Interfering in, let alone halting, settlement activity is anathema to Mr Bennett, who considered the pro-settlement Mr Netanyahu as untrustworthy on the issue.