Gransnet forums

News & politics

Really. Is this what the country needs ?

(110 Posts)
westendgirl Mon 06-Mar-23 10:19:32

What do Grans think of Boris Johnson putting forward his father for a lordship .

Grandma70s Mon 06-Mar-23 13:52:52

Grantanow

Typical of the outrageous buffoon. I'm surprised he didn't nominate Larry the Chief Mouser for a knighthood.

Larry deserves a knighthood.

ronib Mon 06-Mar-23 15:25:39

Isn’t social deference out of fashion in 2023? What value is a title in the current climate? I think there’s more kudos in plain Mr, Mrs, Ms. It, They etc any permutations allowed.

Also is it okay to have binary titles such as Sir or Lady? Isn’t it sexist?

Yammy Mon 06-Mar-23 15:37:30

NotSpaghetti

Rory Stewart on Twitter:
^Boris Johnson sought to shower titles on family and favourites as though he were an elderly Henry VIII, giddy after a new marriage^

Rory Stewart was our M.P. always short on words and long on common sense. Well said Rory.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 06-Mar-23 15:40:14

Unbelievable. However, although he finally resigned last September, the committee who are responsible for approving the Johnson Honours list are still working on it.

Cold Mon 06-Mar-23 16:11:29

Nepotism honours for the family!

He already elevated his brother to the HoL Jo Johnson who was a Minister during Boris' time as PM and resigned in 2019 was made "Baron Johnson of Marylebone" in 2020 when the media were distracted by Covid

BlueBelle Mon 06-Mar-23 16:42:05

*In the book, The Gambler, author Tom Bower describes Stanley's marriage to Boris Johnson's mum Charlotte as violent and unhappy.
She told the author: "He broke my nose. He made me feel like I deserved it."
"I want the truth to be told."*

*In March Mr Johnson said he would ignore his son's advice, given the day before, about people avoiding social contact in pubs and restaurants.
The Prime Minister had advised everyone, particularly those over 70, to stay away from venues to control the spread of the disease.
But when asked if he would disobey his son's public health message, Mr Johnson said: "Of course, I’ll go to a pub if I need to go to a pub."*

The Prime Minister's dad came under fire last week, after he was photographed buying a newspaper in a west London newsagent without wearing a face mask, breaking the Covid laws.There were calls for him to be fined for the incident, and while the Metropolitan police were contacted, they decided not to fine him as he was not caught in real-time

What a prize he is !!!

Katie59 Mon 06-Mar-23 17:19:15

Obviously an accolade for services to Boris, it really should be struck out as unwarranted

Callistemon21 Mon 06-Mar-23 17:22:45

Grandma70s

Grantanow

Typical of the outrageous buffoon. I'm surprised he didn't nominate Larry the Chief Mouser for a knighthood.

Larry deserves a knighthood.

👏👏👏
Sir Laurence Mouser of the City of Westminster

Fleurpepper Mon 06-Mar-23 17:23:07

I have NO words (and that is rare!)

Callistemon21 Mon 06-Mar-23 17:29:04

Fleurpepper 😁

Oh go on, find some!!

Aveline Mon 06-Mar-23 17:46:53

What possible rationale is there for giving him a knighthood or peerage? What has he ever done to distinguish himself or help others?

Callistemon21 Mon 06-Mar-23 18:07:48

Aveline

What possible rationale is there for giving him a knighthood or peerage? What has he ever done to distinguish himself or help others?

Catch mice?
Guard the door at No 10?
He's always so dignified too.

Oh, do you mean Stanley?
No idea, sorry, Aveline

Galaxy Mon 06-Mar-23 19:12:41

Werent there also allegations from women about inappropriate behaviour.

LadyGracie Mon 06-Mar-23 19:13:45

Why are we surprised?

Dickens Mon 06-Mar-23 19:29:17

Casdon

I guess the only surprise is that he didn’t nominate himself.

😂😂

M0nica Mon 06-Mar-23 19:40:11

The man is shameless, still at least he hasn't made his horse (if he has one) a cabinet minister and he hasn't granted his children MBEs for services to - well anything.

But pride goes before a fall and evidence is growing of Conservative MPs and Conservative voters turning against him.

MrsKen33 Mon 06-Mar-23 20:12:30

I think many have already turned.

Cossy Tue 07-Mar-23 11:12:43

I think it’s pretty typical of Bo-Jo ! Honestly nothing that man does surprises me and his father is just as bad 🤮🤮🤮

spabbygirl Tue 07-Mar-23 11:18:40

just when you think boris can get no lower he goes and proves he can. He's the last person who should be nominating others for any sort of honour

Daisymae Tue 07-Mar-23 11:18:48

Sorry, I have just started another thread on this topic. Didn't realise one was already up and running.

Saggi Tue 07-Mar-23 11:31:52

Gongs for the boys ! Abolish the lot . I have not and will never curtsy or bow to anyone or even call them Sir or Lord or Lady this that or the other. Utter nonesense . I refuse to put my ‘title’ on forms unless it’s relevant
I.E. medical or some such !
Why should women be known as ‘married’ or ‘single’ by their title !? Men aren’t!

GoldenAge Tue 07-Mar-23 11:33:00

The really sad fact is that Johnson has behaved so preposterously and for so long that we have all become used to it and the voice of the sane amongst us will once again get drowned out by the normalisation of the process where the PM does 'his' magnanimous thing. What the heck are we doing with honours of this kind in our modern day? It's outrageous that we have them in my opinion, and equally so that BJ nominates his own father. The man has no credibility whatsoever.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 07-Mar-23 11:38:34

Quite right, Saggi. DH and I are fortunate enough to be happily married, but I can't understand why I am supposed to be labelled as married but he isn't. I always choose "Ms" if I have to have a title at all - I prefer not to have one, like you - and DH would always do the same if he has to give a title for me.

On the subject of honours, I have a relative who is a Dame for her distinguished work in an academic field, and I think she has definitely contributed to society. It would be nice to have an honours system which could acknowledge people like her without being cluttered up with mere time-servers who have done nothing more than just serve their time.

Nannashirlz Tue 07-Mar-23 11:41:50

Personal i don’t see the point of it. It’s not for us normal folk it’s for the rich to make themselves feel special . Lol I’d scrape the lot of the night lord etc it’s not 1865 anymore we don’t need these things

DeeDe Tue 07-Mar-23 11:50:39

Shows what a pathetic grabber he is .. and I used to vote conservative.. so not biased
Given up wasting my time voting now!
His father should get a dirty old man award! Nothing else