Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will Johnson senior get his knighthood?

(99 Posts)
Daisymae Tue 07-Mar-23 10:25:29

THB it didn't seem that surprising that Johnson put his dad up for a knighthood. Just wondering if he has enough clout to pull it off. What do you think?

MayBee70 Fri 10-Mar-23 11:52:18

FannyCornforth

I thought that Dacre was already a Sir?

I get my titles ( Lords and Sirs etc) mixed up but I think they’re trying to get him into the House of Lords again.

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Mar-23 11:54:03

No it’s me who’s confused, just ignore me MayBee smile

MaizieD Fri 10-Mar-23 11:54:27

FannyCornforth

I thought that Dacre was already a Sir?

'Sir' (if he is one) is just a knighthood, Fanny.

A peerage is a step up and entitles him to a seat in the House of Lords.

But perhaps Johnson hasn't nominated him for a peerage (see the DM story I've just posted)

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Mar-23 11:57:08

Maizie I don’t need to, as I am officially ‘The Sole Reader of the Daily Mail on GN’ , so I can refer to my personal copy grin

MaizieD Fri 10-Mar-23 11:57:17

Though, thinking on, a baronet is a 'Sir'. That's the lowest in the order of peerages. After that you're a Lord, or 'His Grace'

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Mar-23 11:57:53

Can you be ‘Her Grace’?

MayBee70 Fri 10-Mar-23 12:00:04

FannyCornforth

I’ll never ignore you! Did you see the Sky Arts programme on the Pre Raphaelites yesterday? I was going to start a thread on it but realised I’d already missed half of it! Anyways, back to politics….

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Mar-23 12:04:41

I didn’t, no, thank you, I’ll look out for it smile

MaizieD Fri 10-Mar-23 12:18:14

MayBee70

FannyCornforth

I’ll never ignore you! Did you see the Sky Arts programme on the Pre Raphaelites yesterday? I was going to start a thread on it but realised I’d already missed half of it! Anyways, back to politics….

Can it be seen on Catch Up?

I rather like the Pre Raphaelites

(Apologies for derailing)

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Mar-23 12:22:08

Don’t worry, it’s a nice diversion, especially from the lunacy that’s currently going on on the Lineker thread.
It’s obvious that the thread has been mentioned in the daily email, threads always go a bit bonkers when they are

I think that you can get Sky Arts on catch up if you have Sky

Grantanow Fri 10-Mar-23 12:44:24

I think Sunak should scrap Johnson's honours list entirely. And Truss's too.

Mamardoit Fri 10-Mar-23 14:22:26

Don't suppose he will do that. Someone might decide to scrap his. Tony Blair isn't a Sir is he but Ed Davy is. So is Mark Thatcher. I can't see why we carry on with it all.

MayBee70 Fri 10-Mar-23 14:42:35

FannyCornforth

Don’t worry, it’s a nice diversion, especially from the lunacy that’s currently going on on the Lineker thread.
It’s obvious that the thread has been mentioned in the daily email, threads always go a bit bonkers when they are

I think that you can get Sky Arts on catch up if you have Sky

I don’t have Sky so it’s a bit hit and miss which programmes I catch. When I do channel hop it’s usually on Tales of the Unexpected. I aught to check the schedule.

Callistemon21 Fri 10-Mar-23 15:03:17

Mamardoit

Don't suppose he will do that. Someone might decide to scrap his. Tony Blair isn't a Sir is he but Ed Davy is. So is Mark Thatcher. I can't see why we carry on with it all.

Yes, Tony Blair is a Sir.

Daisymae Fri 10-Mar-23 18:49:38

Grantanow

Definitely. The cost to the population if their premiership is incalculable.

Oldbat1 Fri 10-Mar-23 22:20:48

Sorry I don’t know how to add things but on the Reuters News Page sunak was passing a comment about Father’s Day card saying he won’t be giving his father a knighthood. I’m sure Reuters wouldn’t be wrong.

Oreo Fri 10-Mar-23 22:31:38

Daisymae

Grantanow

They can’t.
Being PM gives them the right to do this.

Casdon Fri 10-Mar-23 22:45:16

Oreo

Daisymae

Grantanow

They can’t.
Being PM gives them the right to do this.

Actually Sunak could scrap the list, or veto specific nominations if he decides to do so, as the decision rests with the current PM. The resigning PM’s list is only nominations, not a final list.

Oreo Fri 10-Mar-23 22:57:04

Anyone who served as PM can put forward a list, there wouldn’t be any serving PM who would scrap it altogether tho certain names may be vetoed if there’s a good reason to do that.
The present PM will want to put forward his own list when he’s out of office.

Oreo Fri 10-Mar-23 22:57:57

I think naming a relative is crass btw.

Oreo Fri 10-Mar-23 22:58:57

Mind you, so’s naming people who’ve helped you up the greasy pole.

MaizieD Fri 10-Mar-23 23:25:27

Oldbat1

Sorry I don’t know how to add things but on the Reuters News Page sunak was passing a comment about Father’s Day card saying he won’t be giving his father a knighthood. I’m sure Reuters wouldn’t be wrong.

I don't know why Sunak is burbling about Father's Day. It's not until June...

Grantanow Wed 22-Mar-23 09:26:22

Mark Thatcher is not a knight but a baronet. The title was conferred on his father and passed to the son when Thatcher senior died. It will pass to Mark Thatcher's eldest son when he dies and so on. I guess it was Mrs T's way of ensuring a lasting privilege for her male descendents. There was a scandal in the early 1920s surrounding the 'sale' of baronetcies by the Liberal government to raise Party funds which led to a 1925 Act prohibiting the sale of honours.